Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing research but im still kinda lost on everything. Im just needing basically opinions from experience or just overall any knowledge of how to do this safely as I want to keep this car forever. So here we go, just bought a 2010 Challenger 5.7 R/T 6 speed. Now the goal for this car is to make it 500-550 hp (bhp) as long as im around there im happy with whatever I get to the wheel. I just feel like my challenger seems a bit soft when you start to speak about the HP when everything now is all about getting more then 650hp with the hellcats and red eyes and demons and even the trackhawk now. I know I'll have to supercharge it to get to this point. My question though is can I cam it, get long tube headers, cats and a shaker hood with all eventually down the road being able to drop a supercharger in it and be able to forge internals because I figure I'll have to in order to reach that and not kill my new baby. Im somewhat mechanically inclined but will be having my mechanic help where he needs to. I want to have a bad ass muscle car that sounds like the old muscle cars that I fell in love with, I want that intimating throaty sound just idling so when that Honda pulls up beside me at the light he's not even gonna wanna try and when there is a car I wanna compete with I want to be able to compete and not have this "slow" or "heavy" muscle car. Please let me know what this will cost estimates and im from Canada btw so if prices are in USD just please mention it so I know for reference.

Attachments

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,846 Posts
Hello from Strasburg, VA

Hello and Welcome to ChallengerForumZ from the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Enjoy your Ride and the Site! You'll find some knowledgeable and friendly people to answer your questions or just entertain you. Glad you could join us!

Reactions: Profgomes

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Welcome. Well, IMHO, if your goal from day 1 was to get massive horsepower, a 392 may have been better. That said, I have a 345 but that not my goal. In terms of sound, I have yet to hear either a 345 or 392 sound like a thumping 70 muscle car. I guess it's not in the DNA of a gen 3 Hemi.

Reactions: Profgomes

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can get some good numbers going straight to a supercharger. Just make any exhaust changes first, that affects boost. That's the route I took. I then lowered it and added front cross brace. Drove like a new car. This year I staggered the wheels 245 front 305 rear. I just added a rear cross brace. Drives like it's on rails now. 140k miles so far, 30k blown. Very happy. Adding a drive shaft loop next. When I have to rebuild, I'll make sure I can add more boost. 700hp can then be a feasible target. Anyway, taught a Chrysler 300 SRT a lesson the other day, just sayin'. Good luck with her. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger RT Plus Shaker
238 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.

Others have already provided some information on the mods. and a link to that forum area too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Welcome, I wouldn't get to stuck on the whole horsepower numbers thing if i was you, sure the 5.7 ONLY has what 370hp but in reality the majority of cars on the road are under 300hp so really it's not that low a number, if you want to do headers,cam and exhaust then you'll need a tune as well, you could go that route first without the supercharger and you may be happy with that and not need to boost it, realistically all the power in the world doesn't help you if you can't put the power down so no sense in just going crazy power to burn tires off, also if you want to go shaker hood then i'm not sure you can run the shaker with a supercharger sitting on top of the engine so you may have to look at that as well. As for stroker, stroker engines tend not to last in the long run really, you would be better off running low boost then stroking it or if you're going to go that into it anyways just built the engine to handle the boost and have at it

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Welcome to the Z from FL. Lots of great info here. Enjoy !

Well spoken Prof, and you have a great year car. Before you even crack your wallet, make a 'end goal' list where you want that car to be. I've seen so many people start then go a different direction and wasted thousands ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the Z from FL. Lots of great info here. Enjoy !

Well spoken Prof, and you have a great year car. Before you even crack your wallet, make a 'end goal' list where you want that car to be. I've seen so many people start then go a different direction and wasted thousands ...
Yes exactly, I know I have a lot in my head that may not actually be the proper way to do any of it haha. Just trying to get some opinions and info, and yeah definitely have about 20 tabs of all the info that everyone else has up here already it's great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome, I wouldn't get to stuck on the whole horsepower numbers thing if i was you, sure the 5.7 ONLY has what 370hp but in reality the majority of cars on the road are under 300hp so really it's not that low a number, if you want to do headers,cam and exhaust then you'll need a tune as well, you could go that route first without the supercharger and you may be happy with that and not need to boost it, realistically all the power in the world doesn't help you if you can't put the power down so no sense in just going crazy power to burn tires off, also if you want to go shaker hood then i'm not sure you can run the shaker with a supercharger sitting on top of the engine so you may have to look at that as well. As for stroker, stroker engines tend not to last in the long run really, you would be better off running low boost then stroking it or if you're going to go that into it anyways just built the engine to handle the boost and have at it
Yeah I have heard that it would be difficult to have boost with the shaker so im really conflicted. I think if doing as much as I can without supercharging and having the shaker hood could still be enough to put a smile on my face. Ah yeah I don't know much about stoker's I just see a lot about people doing em if they're not super reliable then I'll probably steer away. Like what would be the HP that I'd be seeing if I went that route and didn't super charge but pretty much tried to get done everything else since that's the highest thing in the budget anyways.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can get some good numbers going straight to a supercharger. Just make any exhaust changes first, that affects boost. That's the route I took. I then lowered it and added front cross brace. Drove like a new car. This year I staggered the wheels 245 front 305 rear. I just added a rear cross brace. Drives like it's on rails now. 140k miles so far, 30k blown. Very happy. Adding a drive shaft loop next. When I have to rebuild, I'll make sure I can add more boost. 700hp can then be a feasible target. Anyway, taught a Chrysler 300 SRT a lesson the other day, just sayin'. Good luck with her. Welcome to the forum.
Do you know if I'd be able to have the shaker hood with boost? I'd love to have a supercharged challenger it was kinda always the plan but when I saw the new shakers hoods I just can't shake it off the mods I wanna do. Sorry no pun intended lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome. Well, IMHO, if your goal from day 1 was to get massive horsepower, a 392 may have been better. That said, I have a 345 but that not my goal. In terms of sound, I have yet to hear either a 345 or 392 sound like a thumping 70 muscle car. I guess it's not in the DNA of a gen 3 Hemi.
Honestly I wanted the 392 of course but just not budget wise. I got my challenger with 54k km for 19k CAD. If there was the option for something with more balls in that price range I would've but I just felt I got a good deal and I can put the money I saved into doing a lot of the things I was missing

1 - 20 of 37 Posts