Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short. Had a coolant problem, led to head gasket failures. Led me to do some upgrades. Wrench monkey put the car back together and started it. Turns out there was a bolt in #8 cylinder. It now has a nice vent hole in the cylinder. So I'm in search of a 2009+ 5.7 block, short or long doesn't matter. MDS or NON doesnt matter. The shop is paying for this. They already expect to buy the MDS delete kit.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
ooofa

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,392 Posts
Have you checked Craigslist and search under Auto Parts and type Hemi ?
Yeah, I was thinking local junkyards would be a good starting point, or carparts.com. The OP might even cold-call speed shops in his area to see if anyone is replacing their old Hemi with a crate engine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I was thinking local junkyards would be a good starting point, or carparts.com. The OP might even cold-call speed shops in his area to see if anyone is replacing their old Hemi with a crate engine.
Junk yard is my next step. But this is a speed shop that is doing the work. Juat having a hard time locating a good engine.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,281 Posts
Why does it have to be used? Summit, Jegs or the like can hook you up, and why are you looking for parts if they broke it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why does it have to be used? Summit, Jegs or the like can hook you up, and why are you looking for parts if they broke it?
I'm looking for local. Just trying to help speed things along. My car has been down since Feb 10th. This damage happened 2 months ago. I just want my car back.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,281 Posts
I'm looking for local. Just trying to help speed things along. My car has been down since Feb 10th. This damage happened 2 months ago. I just want my car back.
Then try one of the sources I noted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don’t see how you can beat the one from Powertrain, listed above. A long block with 5 year warranty for $3,900 is a deal.

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Premium Member
'21 Challenger RT Plus Black Top
278 Posts
I don’t see how you can beat the one from Powertrain, listed above. A long block with 5 year warranty for $3,900 is a deal.
Exactly , and they upgrade any defects during the rebuild . If I ever needed another motor I know where I'm going .

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
46 Posts
You don’t make sense. Your saying your car has been down 5 months and all these places others have recommended can have an engine delivered to the so called shops door in less that 5 days?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
1,044 Posts
You asked for help, I searched and found a lick to one in stock, ready to ship, relatively cheap with a warranty. I'd take that website to the shop and tell them to order it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You asked for help, I searched and found a lick to one in stock, ready to ship, relatively cheap with a warranty. I'd take that website to the shop and tell them to order it.
Any warranty would be voided when they put the cam and tune that I've already paid for on the engine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don’t make sense. Your saying your car has been down 5 months and all these places others have recommended can have an engine delivered to the so called shops door in less that 5 days?
The car went down in feb with blown head gaskets due to a failed coolant line. The damage to the cylinder happened just over 2 months ago. It was discovered how bad it was about 6 weeks ago. The problem with buying a brand new engine is ive already bought a mellen oil pump,hardened push rods, valve springs, cam and a custom tune for the car. If they get a whole new engine then they have to pull it apart put the parts in. That will void any warranty it came with.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
46 Posts
The car went down in feb with blown head gaskets due to a failed coolant line. The damage to the cylinder happened just over 2 months ago. It was discovered how bad it was about 6 weeks ago. The problem with buying a brand new engine is ive already bought a mellen oil pump,hardened push rods, valve springs, cam and a custom tune for the car. If they get a whole new engine then they have to pull it apart put the parts in. That will void any warranty it came with.
This will be a long, hard, expensive learning curve for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts