Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on my Airaid CAI today & I did notice a better take off & a more aggressive tone during acceleration. However, I still feel like it's too quiet at regular speeds. I am still tossing around the idea of a resonator delete. I have read all the threads about the drone & whether or not it sounds like a ricer, but I guess I am wondering how bad it really is?

I know it will never sound like a V8 & I don't expect it to. I just want a slightly more aggressive tone to the car. Am I better off waiting until I can financially afford better mufflers or will the resonator delete satisfy me?:4-dontknow:

Thanks for any input!

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,476 Posts
Trish, if you remove your resonators, you WILL have drone in the 1800-2200 RPM range. The worst thing I did to my Magnum SXT 3.5 V6 was put a DynoMax TruDual catback system on it. I feel it lost some torque and I really didn't like the sound. Just a litte brassy to me.

If it were me, I think I would look up a good muffler shop in your area and get them to put on a Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler in place of te factory one. That's just one person's opinion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trish, if you remove your resonators, you WILL have drone in the 1800-2200 RPM range. The worst thing I did to my Magnum SXT 3.5 V6 was put a DynoMax TruDual catback system on it. I feel it lost some torque and I really didn't like the sound. Just a litte brassy to me.

If it were me, I think I would look up a good muffler shop in your area and get them to put on a Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler in place of te factory one. That's just one person's opinion.
Actually, I do have a really good muffler shop that I go to & I am good friends with the owner. He's the one who suggested I start with removing the resonators & see if I like it. He did the same thing on a 2010 & apparently the owner liked it. I guess part of my concern is the sound & part is that mine is still under warranty.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I would try removing the mufflers, just replace with straight pipes
I did this on my RT where drone with the MDS was a concern.
I really liked it, just got a little louder with no drone.
I would definitely not remove the resonators, you will end up with drone.
I had a 2010 V6 Challenger and put a Borla cat back which was recommended
by a performance shop. I can't begin to describe how bad the drone was.
Once you start with that drone it can get really annoying. Go to you tube and search challenger muffler delete. Doing the muffler delete is inexpensive and can be easily reversed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not sure if it would work for a 3.6, but my car does not sound raspy like a v6 at all. I have a VX 4554 muffler, same as a flow master 40 (made by same people), and I deleted the resonators , didn't like it. Was too loud for me so I put on high flow resonators. Here's a little sound clip from dyno.

http://richmonddjs.com/dynorear.MOV

But for the price of the resos and muffler, it's well worth a try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking that maybe I should hold off until I can afford a better muffler. I don't want to lose power & I don't want a lot of drone either. I am more worried about it sounding ricey. I had a V6 Mustang before my Challenger & I converted it to dual exhaust using the Ford GT500 exhaust system & I was told it sounded ricey.

I usually listen to my tunes pretty loud when I am driving, so I wonder if the drone would even be an issue for me??

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,591 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe I should hold off until I can afford a better muffler. I don't want to lose power & I don't want a lot of drone either. I am more worried about it sounding ricey. I had a V6 Mustang before my Challenger & I converted it to dual exhaust using the Ford GT500 exhaust system & I was told it sounded ricey.

I usually listen to my tunes pretty loud when I am driving, so I wonder if the drone would even be an issue for me??
You might try somebody in your area that has done it to a similar Challenger 3.6. The 3.5 sounds completely different from the 3.6. I have not done anything to our 3.6 Charger because I have not heard any that appeal to me yet, some sound ok at idle but after that not so great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts