Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,
My 2012 Challenger R/T with a 2014 SRT 392 has a major overheating issue. I can let it idle all day long with no issues but as soon as I start driving and punch it a little its gonna overheat and peg the gauge and boil over. Its to the point I cant drive it anywhere. Now the wife is tired of the car and wants to sell it because of the overheating issues and i have too many cars anyway.
It does run great with no issues or check engine lights except for the overheat problem i have been dealing with for almost a year now. Spark plugs are normal and i only use Mopar antifreeze.
I have those blue silicone hose on the heater and lower hose. Top is regular hose.
Could the lower silicone hose be collapsing when I punch it? Any other ideas? I ordered regular hoses anyway just in case and I dont like the blue.

I have tried:
New water pump because old one did have a bad bearing.
New thermostat
New rad cap
Curse at it.
Bleed system a dozen times
Radiator is not clogged
Beating head against car.
No coolant in oil and no oil in coolant
New fans when engine was swapped.

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

Premium Member
Put the thermostat in water with a thermometer and check it. Are the cooling fans coming on when they should?
Collapsing lower hose. That's why stock lower hoses have a coiled spring wire inside them. Not required on the top hose because that is the pressure side of the coolant circulator. the lower is the vacuum side.
-John

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
yea probably the lower hose like yall said. this is the 3rd thermostat i have tried. the heater is so freaking hot my eye balls sweat. new hoses will be here friday.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yea probably the lower hose like yall said. this is the 3rd thermostat i have tried. the heater is so freaking hot my eye balls sweat. new hoses will be here friday.
The more I think about it I dont think those freaking hoses had a coil in them. If that what it is I will be happy but pissed at myself for buying those POS hoses. At least I can drive my baby again and my financial advisor (wife) will hopefully stop trying to push me into selling it. Because all the money I have in it from the drivetrain swap and all the mods and parts in it. She has had enough. 馃

Registered
I looked into the hoses,was looking at red ones. They look good and make the engine bay stand out. The reason i decided not to was because of the spring not being in the lower. Thats a long hose and i beleive it would collapse along the way without the spring. Guess you could install the spring, but imo it should come in there from the manufacturer with it being so long.

Registered
I've seen a lot of cars have overheating issues over the years because the spring is missing and the hose collapsed. A friend of mine scored a huge bargain on an old Ford Ranchero that the owner gave up on, and all it needed was a spring in the hose. $300+ the hose, sold it a few months later for $2000.

Premium Member
You swapped out motors? I鈥檓 betting it is a glitch in the wiring harness but it is only a guess. Something isn鈥檛 operating properly because of an improper signal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Got the new hoses and yep there was not a spring in the lower hose. I am currently trying to get all the air out but unlike my other hemi's this one has a hose from where the bleeder screw would be to the oil cooler and back to lower hose. What I have been doing is letting the engine get to high temp and shut it off. When it cools it looks to be sucking in the coolant from the tank. I normally have to add half a gallon of coolant each time. Now the heater is running hot. Is the setup correct or how to bleed it normally?

Registered
I use a vacuum fill kit when replacing coolant. Works great so you don't have to worry about "burping" the system.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I use a vacuum fill kit when replacing coolant. Works great so you don't have to worry about "burping" the system.

View attachment 260579

Damn, It just hit me that I already have one and forgot all about it. Took me an hour to find it but I did.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
The more I learn about women, the more I like my car. Fix the car, trade in the wife on a newer model but only lease the next one.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA馃ぃ Aint that the truth!

Registered
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

View attachment 260579

I have to move everything out of the garage to get to my tire machines to mount my friends truck tires so I can finally make it to the compressor. I will fire up the compressor and I will let everyone know how the vacuum works. Thanks!

Anyone close by that needs a set of tires mounted just let me know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts