Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home the other day I ran over a blanket, no way to avoid it. It wrapped around the drive shaft, I was able to cut away the majority of it. I have to lower the drive shaft to get he rest of it out, no choice.

Does anyone know the torque value of the bolts that attach the drive shaft to the rear end hub. I have to remove three bolts, possibly a fourth so I can let it drop down about three inches to pull out the remainder of the blanket.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
Will one of the following help you

DESCRIPTION N·m Ft. Lbs.
BOLT/NUT - SHAFT COUPLER-TO-TRANSMISSION 91 67
BOLT/NUT - SHAFT COUPLER-TO-REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY 122 89
BOLT/NUT - COUPLER/DAMPER-TO-PROPELLER SHAFT (REAR) 91 67
BOLT - CENTER BEARING-TO-BODY (REAR) 27 20

Rear Axle Front Mount 65 48
Axle-to-Crossmember Bolts 220 162

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,757 Posts
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I remember that the bolts on either end of the driveshaft were not to be reused.I know they used new ones when they redid the grease on the input shaft of the transmission a few years back.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I remember that the bolts on either end of the driveshaft were not to be reused.I know they used new ones when they redid the grease on the input shaft of the transmission a few years back.
I think you're right on that, Corbin.

Reactions: Home Theater Guy

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to use new bolts but I did not know the torque value for them. Thanks Dan for the numbers, I think that will work.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
I'd also use Blue Loctite on the bolts.

·
Administrator
53,757 Posts
I plan to use new bolts but I did not know the torque value for them. Thanks Dan for the numbers, I think that will work.
That is good, better safe than sorry.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
I can't image what that blanket sounded like flopping around with the driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No flopping just bound up around the shaft. I may be able to cut on it some more without dropping the shaft but we'll see. I flew off the back of a vehicle. Thankfully I was just about 100 yards from home. If I can keep slicing away with a box cutter I may free it up but I don't know. My arms feel like jelly. Four hours into it so far.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after a total of seven hours of slicing away, I was able to finally free all of the blankets from the shaft. So glad I didn't have to drop that shaft. I went through about 15 box cuttere blades and one $2 chef's knife from Walmart.

·
Administrator
53,757 Posts
Wow that was a lot of work glad you were successful.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did it over a period of four days, hands are all banged up and it hard to make a fist with my right hand but all for the love of our Hemi.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
Glad to see you got everything worked out, Chris!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you sir.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
That was a beast of a job, 7 hours and all of those blades, wow! I would be taking some time off today and tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah. I had the chance to hit a couple of car cruises Saturday and drove it to church this morning, nice to be back behind the wheel. It wasn't a total lass I was able to paint the axles that had some surface rust on them. Motivates me to swap out the exhaust now.

Reactions: avoosl
1 - 16 of 16 Posts