Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the chance to follow a Challenger SRT and a Gen5 Corvette with exhaust, on the way to work this evening.The SRT was in the right lane flowing along.. The Corvette made it's move. The driver pulled past, in the left lane, then slowed the traffic behind him to make a 50 foot drag strip next to the SRT. That Vette driver popped the clutch. The car roared, squatted and smoked 'em. The Vette left no chance for the Hemi to respond. It was locked in, by traffic. The mear presents of the Challenger makes Vette drivers fear for there manhood. Another reason to feel sorry for Corvette drivers.
Sharon's hubby.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Intimidation, that's the perfect word for it. No response was required from the Hemi. The Corvette's move says it all.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
C5's only have about 400HP....a little more with an upgraded exhaust. The Corvette however is about 1,000 lighter than the SRT....thinkin' it might be a good drag race!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember when self service meant pump your own fuel THEN go inside to pay. I worked as a station attendant for some college cash. I enjoyed harassing Vette owners.
Vette: "That's the $20 for the Corvette."
Me: "Is that the new beige car at pump #8 ?"
Vette: "The red car."
Me: "Okay, pump #5. $20 please."
The Vette driver would leave silently, confused. How could a young man not know or care about a Corvette? The self centered driver never understood that they where a playing, "My Game."
Sharon's Hubby

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I always like seeing drivers of other cars being intimidated by our Challengers. It doesn't matter if it's a Corvette or a Camry, it just cracks me up. I especially like it when Mustang owners do it. It's like they're always trying to prove something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As the owner of several corvettes in the past, two of them 427's I can assure you I have never been intimated by a challenger but have always appreciated the looks of the challengers. I have experienced many times "a youngster, always in a mustang" come up and rev the engine. (1 corvette owner did the same thing). As I said, I have owned corvettes but this past week when I found a new shaker hemi I just had to have one. The shaker challengers take me back to my youth when I wanted a mopar so bad but I could not afford one. So my new pride and joy is a plum crazy shaker challenger. Several of my corvette friends have come over and admired the challenger and all of them have said the challenger got it right over the camaro and mustang. Every brand of cars has its idiots, a-holes and immature owners. I like all cars, some just better than others. I still love my old trans am, my vette and I love all mopars but especially my new challenger!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course, bearphoto, results will very. :smileup:

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
The most fun I have had is when one of those "fart boxes" stopped beside me at a red light and reved his engine up and down so we could all hear his caterwauling. He asked me through his open window what I thought.
My response was "leave the mower deck at home in the garage?"

He was not impressed with my answer. He farted loudly at the green light and burned rubber for at least 3 feet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Grew up in a car family and I've had all three main muscle cars now, the Mustang GT and Camaro Z28 back in my college days and now a Challenger. Personally, I have never cared for the Corvette of any model year. 60s, 70s, 80s, today doesn't matter...I don't give them a second look. First of all they have never been all that impressive as far as power goes. They really never even became what you'd consider fast until the 1990s. Second they are miserable to ride in. Feels like sitting on a skateboard with a shell around your head. Third they are the most impractical vehicle out there. Two seats and a gas tank...that's bout all you got. Fourth they are GM therefore they are garbage...low quality hard to work on in the driveway fiberglass POS cars. I honestly do not see the draw to them. I really don't. If I won a Corvette in a contest I would immediately put it up for sale and pay off bills or something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well I'd agree with you on much of that but obviously you have not been in a C5 or the more current C6 corvettes. I have no experience with the brand new C7 but the C6's are tight and very fast. The biggest issues the C6 vettes have according to the mass are the seats which don't have enough seat padding. As for room, C6's are amazing for rear space considering they are in fact a 2 seat sports car. As for the ZR-1, they beat most vipers, most ferraris and other high end cars that cost 4 times as much. Still they are a factory produced car and therefore issues will always exist, just like challengers, camaros and mustangs and everything else on the road. Dollar for dollar they are a bargain for their speed and reliability. Fiberglass, yes there is some fiberglass in all corvettes but the higher ends vettes have materials stronger than the fiberglass. Less weight, higher horsepower engines are some of the reasons corvette wins most of the GT series races over BMW, Ferrari, Porsche and others.

But this is a challenger forum so back to the mopars! Only had mine two weeks but loving it so far! I would like to hear from some members on lowering the challenger an inch or so. It rides great but just seems a bit high to me.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
bearphoto....I'm with ya on the Corvettes. I've owned (and still own) several, including mid years and recently a C6. The C6 was very comfortable and very fast. Practical...not so much, especially in comparison to the Challenger. Corvettes are a different kind of muscle IMO....not a Mopar, but I still dig'em!

As for lowering.....I've got a 2" drop with an Eibach Pro Kit....changes the feel and the look of the car dramatically! Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
While driving the Challenger, people in every type of car imaginable will try to impress themselves with some sort of display, usually of the juvenile variety. I've had people in minivans start swerving through traffic just so they can get beside me and then do something similar to the OP. I like my Challenger because it is old school cool. In the end it is still just a car.

I had my 83 vette over in Germany in 86. We were having a Christmas party and one of the troops needed to run down to the other hanger to get something. I tossed her the keys to the vette and told her it was the white Chevy. She came back in some time later and said she had walked because she couldn't find my car. She said the only white car she saw was a Corvette. What people see when they look at our cars is totally up to them. I know what I see when I look at our cars, which is why I own one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, my story is as follows: Owned a beautiful black C5 vette, but always admired the old school looks of the challengers. Test drove an R/T, kept my vette... a few weeks later drove an SRT, bought it. The vette, IMHO, was sleek and sexy.. but the Challenger is true to the old school musclecar. Vette= sexy tuner, Challenger = modern musclecar

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went for an afternoon stroll today. I found the 'intimidated' Corvette parked in the next subdivision. I'll have to leave some black marks in front of that driveway!:wavey:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am having lots of admirers for the challenger and while I'm driving its a bit scary with people weaving at you because they are not paying attention. My corvette is even worse as its a GT1 Z06, 1 of 38 like it. The GT1s have a total of only 125 ever made between the coupes, convertibles and the Z06 models . Its very fast and its a different breed of car than the challenger. The corvette is a sports car, two seats, very very fast yet for what it is there is lots of room in the back.

The challenger, like the camaros and the mustangs are "pony" cars and have 4 seats and trunk space. these cars have more room and are generally more comfortable than the 2 seat sports cars but not near as fast. Even the SRT8 will not touch a base model corvette primarily due to weight difference. Both great cars and I am enjoying them to the max!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I had the chance to follow a Challenger SRT and a Gen5 Corvette with exhaust, on the way to work this evening.The SRT was in the right lane flowing along.. The Corvette made it's move. The driver pulled past, in the left lane, then slowed the traffic behind him to make a 50 foot drag strip next to the SRT. That Vette driver popped the clutch. The car roared, squatted and smoked 'em. The Vette left no chance for the Hemi to respond. It was locked in, by traffic. The mear presents of the Challenger makes Vette drivers fear for there manhood. Another reason to feel sorry for Corvette drivers.
Sharon's hubby.
Like others have stated, the Vette guy was jealous. Also got to mention, it depends on who is driving said sports car.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Coming from being a Parts Guy at a GM dealer The only difference on most Corvette owners and cacti , is on a cactus the pricks are on the outside. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts