Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent interview Ralph Gilles indicated that our beloved Hemi is likely to be replaced by the end of the decade.

You can read the entire article here http://www.caradvice.com.au/267524/srt-considers-future-after-hemi-v8/ There are a few excerpts below:

Chrysler performance division SRT says it’s open to moving on from its famous 6.4-litre Hemi V8 engine by the end of the decade in a bid to modernise the brand.

Speaking with CarAdvice at the Detroit auto show last week, SRT president and CEO Ralph Gilles said customers loved the Hemi but the company’s internal research showed they would accept change.

“We are in a very interesting time at SRT,” Gilles started. “Obviously we are still investing in our Hemi, it’s a great powerplant for us, it’s elegantly simple and makes phenomenal power and I think it’s still relevant today.

“Obviously it’s not lost on us what everybody else gets up to in different ways of [delivering] power. [But] I look at centre of gravity and contact patch, that’s what makes the car go fast and we are as competitive as any and I am very proud of that.”

Gilles said the reason SRT continued to stick with the Hemi was entirely based on customer demand.

“We are only making it because our customers want it. They love it. They love how it sounds, how simple it is, the elegance of it, it’s so reliable, and the torque.”

Nonetheless, he conceded the Hemi is likely to be replaced by the end of the decade and that its replacement may not be a naturally aspirated V8.

“I think it’s wide open after that. After the era of Hemi is over, there are all kinds of ways SRT is going to make power. We are going to look at all kinds of things, we would be foolish not to.”

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,727 Posts
Unless CAFE standards are removed there will be some big changes in the cars coming out in the next few years.

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless CAFE standards are removed there will be some big changes in the cars coming out in the next few years.
I'm hopeful that a change in the political climate in Washington might result in some changes in the CAFE standards, but I'm not going to count on it. Better buy those Hemi's while we can folks.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
It has been my personal belief for the last few years that we are nearing the end. Regulations are going to make car companies unable to offer classic muscle... Almost like a second gas crunch mentality... Sure, fast cars will be available they just wont be classic V8 monstrosities that growl and guzzle gas. Kind of like the next generation of GLHS's are just around the corner... really fast, nimble, but just not the same. Most of us that drive these cars know it has soul, the folks that admire them at car shows, drive up windows, or just about anywhere we go realize they have soul. I only hope that when we turn the corner in a few years that Dodge cars retain traceable lineage to their roots. I do believe in 30 years folks from the current generation will be looking at our cars like folks today look at the muscle cars from the 60's and 70's....

I can hear it now... Cruisin' the Coast in 2040 folks will be looking at my Challenger and saying how their father/mother/or they had one like it, then lament about its sale...

·
Registered
144 Posts
In the interviews I have read and watched it seems Ralph doesn't see things that way we do, his ideas for the SRT brand will probably raise a few eyebrows around here.
All in all, though he seems to be sure they will be successful, I am not sold

I don't think he gets it

·
Registered
39 Posts
the 64-65 mustang forced gm &mopars hand thus muscle cars and pony cars flourished in 05 0nce again mustang was the innovator for this chapter so I think the new world car mustang is the future with downsized engines.you young guys need to be haunting junk yards and hoarding 5.7 engines 6 speed transmissons stuff to do the conversion of se&sx cars our version of doomsday preppers

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you young guys need to be haunting junk yards and hoarding 5.7 engines 6 speed transmissons stuff to do the conversion of se&sx cars our version of doomsday preppers
Now that brings back memories, I spent a good bit of time in the 80's scouring junk yards, chasing down adds in the local Bargain sheet and Auto Locator looking for Mopar parts. It was amazing how many times when you went to someone's house to buy some parts they would have a bunch of 340's or 440's squirreled away for safe keeping, but not for sale LOL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now that brings back memories, I spent a good bit of time in the 80's scouring junk yards, chasing down adds in the local Bargain sheet and Auto Locator looking for Mopar parts. It was amazing how many times when you went to someone's house to buy some parts they would have a bunch of 340's or 440's squirreled away for safe keeping, but not for sale LOL.
if you go to a big show theres 2 parts the show and shine and the swap meet I think I have had more fun dealing parts over the last 40 years what I love to find is failed projects where they've took it apart hoarded a bunch of parts and now just want rid of it

·
12,990 Posts
There is an old saying in life, "All good things come to an end" I sure this will ring true with the Hemi.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
There never, ever, will be a "replacement" for the HEMI. It is legend.

Starting from the 50s 331, to the 392, the 413 wedge and progress to the bored out 413 to 426 Max Wedge and the 2nd generation of HEMIS starting with the 426 it will never be replaced in legend or history. Others have tried to imitate (Ford) but never duplicate. There will never be a replacement for the high HP V8 cars either. Manufacturers will be able to pass off to those who have their noses buried in cell phones 12 hours a day a 4 cylinder fart box with a supercharger as high performance. Why?
Because they know no better. The Challenger, Cuda, Charger and Road Runner etc. are all MOPAR history.

Another reason I'm happy that I'm on the back nine. I hope the day doesn't come while I'm here. Dodge is noted as we Challenger owners know for the heritage of innovation and performance of their automobiles that started in the 50s and even before with the Dodge Brothers and Walter P Chrysler.

·
Read Only
760 Posts
How bout a supercharged 3L Hemi four banger in an AWD 2 door Dart? It wouldn't be the same but it might sell, and be very quick.

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How bout a supercharged 3L Hemi four banger in an AWD 2 door Dart? It wouldn't be the same but it might sell, and be very quick.
Well there has been six cylinder Hemi's in the past, but they were Australian http://www.valiant.org/valiant/hemi-six.html

I hope personally they find a way though for the V8 Hemi to live on, after waiting so long for Mopar V8 muscle cars to make a come back I hate to see them go again.

Reactions: Hajo

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah seems that way. :( But one thing all of us can say, we got our Hemis, and there is nothing the government can do about it!:smileup:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
No way! If it isn't a v8 Hemi, there is no way I want to see a v6 or v4 Hemi. That is blasphemy!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I can see that happening. As for other ways of making power, ask the owners of the Eco Boost Ford F150's how well they DON'T tow a boat over 20 ft or a medium trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Yeah seems that way. :( But one thing all of us can say, we got our Hemis, and there is nothing the government can do about it!:smileup:
I hope so.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I guess I'm getting to the point where I look at it like this: Does it really matter how many cylinders it's got as long as it's FAST? If you could still run the quarter in 13 seconds flat and get double the fuel economy during the week by giving up your V8 and going with a turbo-6 why the heck wouldn't you do it? As soon as I get the blower for my car it'll be all I need.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Change is already in the air. At this weekend's opening Formula 1 Grand Prix race in Australia's the new engines are .....wait for it........ Hybrids! Yes, the core gasoline V8s, V10s, and V12s are being replaced. When I heard the cars during practice they sounded quieter and more subdued. Now who goes to a race to hear quiet cars??????

As folks on this thread have acknowledged - the old days are numbered, we just dont now the exact number yet.....

http://jalopnik.com/how-formula-ones-amazing-new-hybrid-turbo-engine-works-1506450399

http://www.gizmag.com/formula-one-new-hybrid-tech/30560/

·
Registered
163 Posts
Enjoy your Hemi (freedom) while you can. Change is on the horizon. Driverless cars with no steering wheel or gas pedal will be the norm. We will all been in hydrogen powered Jetson mobiles sooner than you think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts