Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well initial thoughts, I will come back for a full review.

I just got back from post install run. I am impressed at the throttle response and feel of the seat of my pants. I was luck enough to come up on a newer 6.3 automatic AMG 4 dr sedan silver. I come up to the light and can tell he wants to play so I oblige. I have Traction control off since I previously warmed up my tires checking out the TB. I also have the HemiFever tune as well. Ive heard these AMG are lighting quick and they are. I played with him up to 80 and started to see his front bumper reeling me in. It was all AMG after 80 but if I had more top end we would of taken it further.

Point is that so far I have seen nothing but improvements with each mod I do. The throttle body is no exception. it will not make you beat an AMG overall, but it delivers in the lower end where it counts. Dial this in and I can see this mod as a winner. Im excited as you can tell, but when I settle I will write a bit more on install and experience.

·
Diablo Custom Tuner
447 Posts
I had him do a 0 to 80 mph run with the stock tb. Then go back and swap tb's and go right back for another data log.

The stock tb did 15.5 mph to 75 mph in 8.3 seconds. BOTH of the throttle body logs did 15.5 mph to 75 mph in 7.8 seconds

I know that's not a set in stone ET alteration but the good news is there was a noticeable reduction just from the TB swap. Better than no change or a loss lol

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All due respect but that wasn't even trying. That was small running blast. I could knock that down even more. Even though quite impressive overall. I dont even have a CAI or any other mods just HemiFever tune and TB.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Install

1. Remove the engine cover and set aside. Unscrew the fastener at the throttle body to loosen the intake hose from the throttle body. There is no need to remove the accordion piece attached to the air box. It will bend up and out of the way. Just loosen from the throttle body, pull up on the resonator gently and move the resonator and hose in one piece over to one side.

2. Unbolt the four screws from around the throttle body. Be careful of the rubber gasket that is secured to the intake. The gasket should remain attached to the intake. If it doesn't it is easily replaced, just push it back into the groove on the intake body.

3. Replace throttle body with new, align with the gasket seat against the intake and replace the top screw first, then bottom and sides, finger tighten each one. Remember those screws are metal going into a plastic intake housing. This must be done by hand as much as possible and do not force.

4. Tighten each bolt in a star pattern. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Once it is snug no more than a half a turn more should do it.

5. Replace the intake hose on the throttle body. There is a notch on the seat of the throttle body and the intake hose should line up flush with it. Hand tighten the clamp until secure. Align the bottom of the resonator rubber grommet over the metal seat and push down gently but firmly. Replace engine cover.

6. Remove fuse #2 for 30 seconds and replace. ( more a personal thing I don't know if it does anything but couldn't hurt)

If anyone knows of anything I may have missed or have other suggestions please comment. This is not meant to be inclusive of all steps or processes. Your results may vary and damage may occur.

·
Diablo Custom Tuner
447 Posts
This is a great write up. As I've been convincing more and more folks that a throttle body really responds with my tune more have been getting them. Its amazing the difference in response with a tune vs. stock pcm or even with a preloaded tune.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,034 Posts
Install

1. Remove the engine cover and set aside. Unscrew the fastener at the throttle body to loosen the intake hose from the throttle body. There is no need to remove the accordion piece attached to the air box. It will bend up and out of the way. Just loosen from the throttle body, pull up on the resonator gently and move the resonator and hose in one piece over to one side.

2. Unbolt the four screws from around the throttle body. Be careful of the rubber gasket that is secured to the intake. The gasket should remain attached to the intake. If it doesn't it is easily replaced, just push it back into the groove on the intake body.

3. Replace throttle body with new, align with the gasket seat against the intake and replace the top screw first, then bottom and sides, finger tighten each one. Remember those screws are metal going into a plastic intake housing. This must be done by hand as much as possible and do not force.

4. Tighten each bolt in a star pattern. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Once it is snug no more than a half a turn more should do it.

5. Replace the intake hose on the throttle body. There is a notch on the seat of the throttle body and the intake hose should line up flush with it. Hand tighten the clamp until secure. Align the bottom of the resonator rubber grommet over the metal seat and push down gently but firmly. Replace engine cover.

6. Remove fuse #2 for 30 seconds and replace. ( more a personal thing I don't know if it does anything but couldn't hurt)

If anyone knows of anything I may have missed or have other suggestions please comment. This is not meant to be inclusive of all steps or processes. Your results may vary and damage may occur.
Nice write up, thanks for posting.-:smileup: My next Mod.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Nice write-up - Reps inbound!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey all,
I currently own a 2010 R/T which has CAI and 85mm BBK TB installed. Have a new 2014 Shaker R/T in route to the dealer for delivery so I am getting pretty amped to have at it when she arrives. I have already checked with BBK and they dont have a TB available for 2014 model year yet and 2010 unit is not compatible withe 2014 electronics (so they say). I have seen there are ported units available from several manufacturers but these as you know do not have equal diameter throughout. For example the 87 mm ported units are 87 mm at the inlet and only 80 mm diameter at the outlet. So............... my question to the forum is, has anyone seen or done any comparisons on the difference in performance increases between ported vs "full" diameter upgraded TB's?

thanks

·
Diablo Custom Tuner
447 Posts
The modern muscle ones are 83mm rear (not 80).They are closely matched to the intake opening.

My wife has a 2010 5.7 Challenger. I had a BBK 85mm on it for 3 years and just swapped out to a Modern Muscle 85mm that I have on my site. It got another 4 to 6 hp and tq from 4800 to 6000 rpms over the 85 BBK numbers. And the drive ability was MUCH nicer with the modern muscle. That straight bore unit is larger than the intake manifold opening.

But for the '14 you are correct, its different. I have 85 and 87mm units for this style on my site as well. I'm seeing nice gains WITH my tuning. They really need a tune to respond. stock pcm flash or preloaded tunes don't give a tb justice like a good tune can do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks Hemifever. Was on the website just now. In your experience, do you see better performance with the 85 mm ported or the 87 mm ported? Also, not stated in the product descriptions, but you indicated the units are compatible with the 2014's correct?

·
Diablo Custom Tuner
447 Posts
I have one that's 2013+ listed. I think the 85's do great on the 5.7 and stock 6.1. The 87 does great on the 6.4 models. If you have an RT or 6.1 that has headers and especially a cam, the 87 works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts