Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol... sorry for the goofy thread title... it just sort of happened.

A few months ago, I installed my Hurst Nitro shift handle for A8 transmissions. I LOVE this thing. It's as close to the feel of manual shifting without giving up my awesome A8 trans. The only thing I disliked was the heat. The handle, and the grip panels, are all solid metal. Even with sunshades in the windshield, 100+ degree summer temps here make it like a branding iron to grab when you first get in the car. It was even that way in the spring, when outside temps were only in the 80's. Hurst also has wood grip panels, but I don't like the look.

After barely tolerating it all spring, temps here have been around 110 all week, and I'd had enough. The solution was much simpler than I first thought. I simply bought some black first aid wrap, the kind that clings to itself, like they use when you have blood testing, give blood, etc. It's very stretchy, clings to itself, and has no sticky adhesive to get on things. I wrapped it around the entire handle, leaving the trigger uncovered. Once the entire handle was covered, I started squeezing all around it. The tape bonds with itself so well that it molds together tightly around the shape of the handle, and ends up appearing to be like a neoprene cover rather than tape. You can barely see any seams. I've only had it on for today, but after several miles using manual shifting, it seems to hold up quite well. It's not only WAY cooler to touch, but it's nice and grippy too, even with sweaty hands... unlike the solid metal handles. This is definitely my go to solution for summer. If it starts to bunch up or get funky looking, it's an easy fix to just snip it off and do it again. Best part... store brand tape at WalMart was about 4 bucks, for enough to cover it MANY times, as well as any booboos I get while working on the car... lol. I think it actually looks pretty decent too, all things considered. That was a big consideration in waiting so long to come up with something... I didn't want it to look goofy. This stuff is now officially in the tool bag. :)

Hand Auto part Finger Trunk Automotive exterior
Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Silver
Gear shift Vehicle Car Center console Auto part

·
Registered
178 Posts
Tricky solution! As we mentioned in the other thread, an alternative option is our Rosewood Pistol-grip Side Plates. Not only do they do not get warm when exposed to higher temperatures, they also add a nice touch to the interior.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tricky solution! As we mentioned in the other thread, an alternative option is our Rosewood Pistol-grip Side Plates. Not only do they do not get warm when exposed to higher temperatures, they also add a nice touch to the interior.
Thanks, I had seen those, but not a real fan of the look of the rosewood grips. The wood is beautiful, but it just doesn't fit in with anything about my modern Challenger. It's an automatic, so I don't HAVE to manually shift every time I drive, so basically having to buy another set of grips to get me through summer isn't really an option I'd consider. I have a Smith and Wesson revolver with very similar looking rosewood grips, and it looks great against the stainless steel... just not so much in all the black and gray of my car. Love the black machined ones... I just have to compensate for the heat, and it's not worth the expense to put on a set of grips I don't like just to be able to actually grip them, especially since even the rosewood ones don't cover the back or front strap, which would still get blazing hot. Now if your rosewood grips were stained black/dark gray, with the grain still showing, like some actual pistol/knife grips I've seen, or like many guitar fret boards, then I'd probably be all over a set. Heck, even if they were available in unfinished/unsealed rosewood, I could stain them dark enough to suit my self. Short of that, I actually like my funky tape solution better... and I can take it off when the weather cools down. I live in the same town as Hogue Grips, maker of high end custom pistol and knife grips. I'm going to go browse their exotic wood remnants box and try my hand at making a custom set... but that's a project for another day.

Reactions: N2rock

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We haven't forgotten about all of the 05-14 owners out there. New Hurst Billet/Plus Automatic Shifter Handles are on the way. These handles will fit the 2005-2014 Dodge Challenger, Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 with an automatic transmission.

You may notice that we've changed up the side plates on this one as well. The handle still has a polished CNC billet aluminum body, but this one features real wood black stippled side grip plates. Let us know if you think that we should offer these new side plates individually. We'd love to hear your feedback.

LOL... you really wanna hear my reply? Uh, yeah, based on our conversation here, I guess my vote would be "Yes", you should release these black wood grip panels individually, especially if they would fit the 15-16 automatic handles. I'm puzzled why it didn't come up in our conversation. Oh well. Guess I'll just stick with my tape for now. ;)

Reactions: N2rock

·
Registered
178 Posts
LOL... you really wanna hear my reply? Uh, yeah, based on our conversation here, I guess my vote would be "Yes", you should release these black wood grip panels individually, especially if they would fit the 15-16 automatic handles. I'm puzzled why it didn't come up in our conversation. Oh well. Guess I'll just stick with my tape for now. ;)
At the time we were unsure if we were going to be offering the plates separately. However, we now have a tentative release date of September 1st. Stay tuned as we should have more information in the near future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts