Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger with a 5.7,6-speed....seems like when its above 85 degrees outside the thing hesitates on excelleration.I'm running 93 octane fuel and the car has 7900 miles on it.Not pushing any codes....any ideas?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Does it feel like your traction control is kicking on?
(just thinking of ways you could feel hesitation with no codes)

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I live in 90-95 degree weather and I have not had that problem. Does it run better when it is cooler outside ? You could try resetting the adaptives but I have never noticed a difference, but then again, I always drive my car hard.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
I know some like maybe TikiMan will not like me saying this but...in hot/humid weather...the RT...at least mine...turns into a real dog compared to how it runs in the 70's or below. Maybe thats just me...or the cars I'm used to in my past. But hesitation....not really...more like...not what I was expecting or used to when the weather is better. Other than resetting the adaptives has stated...you might want to switch where you are buying your gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when its cool out...runs like a beast...traction control was off...I do tend to "beat" on the car once in awhile...you know,burn rubber first, second,third gear,but other than that,i wash wax and cruise.I have been buying gas from same station since I bought the car.maybe a bottle of techtron will help.
thanks for the help guys :)

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
674 Posts
If the car hasn't been tuned for 93 octane, that could be your issue.

Back in '99, we bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 Litre straight Six that developed a hesitation. The Service Manager asked me what gas I'd been using and I proudly replied, "only name brand premium." He said to try a tank of 87 octane and I thought he was crazy ... but I tried it. Within less than a quarter of a tank the Jeep ran perfectly.

Point is that if the vehicle is expecting a certain octane, that's what's going to work the best.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
I see you have a 2010 manual RT just like me...even same color...lol
Owners Manual
FLUIDS, LUBRICANTS, AND GENUINE PARTS
Engine​
Component Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part​
Engine Coolant MOPAR​
 Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT (Hybrid
Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent.
Engine Oil – 3.5L Engine Use API Certified SAE 10W-30 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for
correct SAE grade.
Engine Oil – 5.7L Engine Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for
correct SAE grade.
Engine Oil Filter MOPAR
 Engine Oil Filter or equivalent.
Spark Plugs – 3.5L Engine ZFR5LP–13G (Gap 0.050 in [1.27 mm])
Spark Plugs – 5.7L Engine LZFR5C–11 (Gap 0.043 in [1.1 mm])
Fuel Selection (3.5L and 5.7L Engine
– Automatic Transmission)
87 Octane Acceptable — 89 Octane Recommended
Fuel Selection (5.7L Engine –
Manual Transmission)

91 Octane

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'll try changing the fuel...I find it hard to believe that lowering the fuel octane will make the engine run better.i do believe the owners manual says premium fuel.if all else fails...its still under warranty.i appreciate all the help.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i'll try changing the fuel...I find it hard to believe that lowering the fuel octane will make the engine run better.i do believe the owners manual says premium fuel.if all else fails...its still under warranty.i appreciate all the help.
Nothing at all wrong with useing 93 in a manual RT but I think it couldn't hurt to try a different brand.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with useing 93 in a manual RT but I think it couldn't hurt to try a different brand.
I agree! But don't lower octane. Especially down to 87. :shakehead:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Besides the #2 fuse trick, have you tried the throttle body calibration procedure?
Or if you have a Predator, there is a thing called throttle boost.
Personally, I hate the fly by wire and all the adaptive controls. There's your hesitation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts