Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you older Z members will remember that I took my R/T down to North Carolina early in it's life to break her in. The long overnight highway drive there, then the great roads in North Carolina made scents, and I made some interesting MPG observations on the way down.

I got a high average of 27.9 (with med fuel, go figure) and you can read all about the specifics here:

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=36921&highlight=highway

But that was before and in the middle of being broken in. Now she sounds different, pulls different but thankfully doesn't smell different. What will be the difference? I have put close to 5500 more miles on it since the last time and have been consistently using Super (+) gas. We Shall see as I depart tomorrow night for the overnight drive. I am looking forward to it now that not only has the car broken in but I am WAY more comfortable driving her. Wish me luck! I will hopefully have some time to take some great POV movies, even though it is a somewhat rushed trip down there this time.

I have not really messed with the MPG computer for a while but I am guessing with the engine broken in and some clever driving I will be able to break my original goal of 30 mpg. If I could get 32 I will have tied the MPG of my 1994 Saturn Sc2 with a GM 4 banger which was considered very fuel efficient at the time. SO THERE...... SOMEBODY I CAN'T THINK OF RIGHT NOW.... so there!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have fun! Skip shifting to 6th and cruising around 60 mph will get me a bit over 31 mpg on a 35 mile drive to work with almost no hills. Tires at 36-38 psi. 91 Octane. This is at 4,000+ feet too!

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
Have a good time Darth. Looking forward to your report.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got 27 MPG on the highway with my SRT. Cruising at 70MPH in 6th gear. That was with just 1500mile on it. Haven't taken any road trips since I passed the 6000 mile mark so I don't know if the mileage has improved or not.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We have quite a few customers that are reporting on mileage figures in the 23-27mpg range at 70 mph on the Interstate Highway systems. This is with both RTs and SRT8s, and we do seem to be seeing a bit higher figures for those with 6 speeds.

That gas guzzler tax on the SRT8s sure seems justified---NOT!!:box2:

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Well have good trip. Best I got with my SRT was 23mpg going to Iowa this spring. looking forward to ur POV's when u post them.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Someone else mentioned it - what are you running your tires at cold psi?

Have a safe - and FUN - trip.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got 30.3 mpg in my M6 RT. I set the cruise control on 69 and I will admit that the area I traveled was very flat. This was achieved on a 250 mile trip. I was running 89 octane and the 30.3 was the computer reading.

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
Are you coming down I 95? Or a more scenic route?

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Keep us posted. I have only had my R/T for a month, so saving gas is not on my list of priorities, hehe. :Racing:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Watch out for Virginia State Trooper Widener. He nailed me on the way back from Nashville and has no sense of humor. If he'll give a brother Occifer a ticket, he might slap the cuffs on you. See you soon Darth!

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes CT, the VA Troopers were OUT! In full force too, but I just wave my hand and I am all good. "This Challenger was not speeding"..... cop: "no......no, this Challenger was not speeding.....move along".

Okay, killer ride down, did take 95 but it throws you off 95 to extension roads a few times (495, so on) The best millage I could muster from the beast this time around was 27.6 MPG running 93 and get this, pull into fill up in VA and sign says on the 93 octain that it has 10% ethanol. Great..... so then my millage went down to about 24 to 25 and stayed there. Damn corn.

So my preliminary guess is that the breaking in of the car causes less MPG but I am only half finished with the experiment. I will try some new things on the way home and see if I can't get me 30 mpg.

WISH ME LUCK!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Before the Corsa exhaust and CIA I did 25.5 on the highway on a trip to Va. Beach and 18 around town and in the city. On the last 2 fill ups I got 20.3 and 21.2 respectivley around town. Haven't been on a long cruise to check the highway yet. These cars do great considering the HP they produce.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, drove back overnight and the weather was much cooler, and there was no ethanol, to be found, so I was happy. The MPG high for the way home was 27.5 but I was unable to try to be so eco-friendly the whole way home. There turned out to be too many instances where I was needed to break the speed and fuel saving limits, in excess, for long periods of time. Check out the scene...

It is a pitch black 1:45 AM on Interstate 95 North somewhere in Virgina I think but my GPS is currently displaying an ominous picture of Darth Vader and the call signs for satelite radeos "Classic Vinyl" station which is hammering out ridiculous driving music all night and is currently playing The Byrds. The night seems extra black because this section of highway was so recently paved that the temporary lines were still visible. They are shorter lines and make you seem like your going faster than you are. The stretch of 95 has a huge tree filled medium between the North and South bound traffic so you truely feel alone when you have it to yourself. The fiance is passed out in the passengers seat with headphones on and the laptop DVD player still playing the Sex In The City movie or some other flick I refuse to sit through. The moon hung over the highway like an early Luke Skywalker scene in Star Wars, illuminating nothing but seemingly glowing from within. The curved shape of the quarter moon looked like you could fill it with liquid and pour it out. The lines race by as the Hemi rumples in 6th gear at about 1200 rpms. The fuel economy has been worse than expected but better than ever anticipated. Crusing just above the speed limit for 4 hours I had passed many officers steaked out for speeders and they were lax. Most of the time the speed limit is 70, which makes you think at 71 they will pull you over, but I got passed by a state trooper at 78, they didn't care, there was nobody out. Now, this early in the morning I concluded that I had been a good boy for long enough and deserved a little road redemption for my restraint, and believe be I showed lots. Every moron on the road wan;t to race you as you all know, and of course I ignored them all. Now I was alone and the road was mine.

Testing my future brides sleep debts, I punched it. Even though I was in 6th gear the car still lurched forward like it was reading my mind. I slowly pressed the pedal harder feeling more fuel and air being sucked into the engine creating a sound that I hear in my favorite dreams. 90 miles per hour was a memory before I even noticed it had occurred. 100 passed almost as quickly. Over a slight inclune int he empty 4 lanes and still nobody to be found. 105, 110, 115, she made more nice and pulled like a crazy horse but felt no less stable, sturdy or willing then at 70. I am used to short burst of speed but this time I held it for several minutes, taking some slow curves and seeing what it is like to live for a few minutes.

Taking my foot off the gas, she reluctantly wound down with maybe even a better sound then the accelerating, burbling and spitting extra power out the tail pipes. She took a good half mile to return to 70 mph with no gas at all. What a highway beast. Mrs. Darth didn't budge but I think she was dreaming about something really fast. My conclusion? Corn sucks, you can get good MPG without trying, as long as you keep it under 90, and I am renewing my satellite radio subscription.\

This was of course a fictional story and in no way really happened.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Break in MPG

I just retuned from a trip to the praries, put 6000km on it and finshed with a total of 10,000km on it. When I did the conversions and added all fuel used,(some city with the highway) my average worked out to 251/2 mpg.

Next trip is to California, have installed Diablo tune so we will see what happens.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts