Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Holder: We want to explore
gun tracking bracelets
[FONT=&quot]By E. Harrington[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Published April 08, 2014[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Washington Free Beacon[/FONT]​

April 1, 2014: Attorney General Eric Holder speaks during a news conference in New York.AP

Attorney General Eric Holder said on Friday that gun tracking bracelets are something the Justice Department (DOJ) wants to "explore" as part of its gun control efforts.

When discussing gun violence prevention programs within the DOJ, Holder told a House appropriations subcommittee that his agency is looking into technological innovations.

"I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get passed those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe"; he said.

"By making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon."

"It's those kinds of things that I think we want to try to explore so that we can make sure that people have the ability to enjoy their Second Amendment rights, but at the same time decreasing the misuse of weapons that lead to the kinds of things that we see on a daily basis," Holder said.

The Justice Department has requested $382.1 million in increased spending for its fiscal year 2014 budget for "gun safety."

Included in the proposal is $2 million for "Gun Safety Technology" grants, which would award prizes for technologies that are "proven to be reliable and effective."

Click for more from The Washington Free Beacon.

<Comments?>
First off, the bracelet technology is not yet perfected and is expensive when
added to the price of a hand-gun. It is impractical to add this technology
to shotguns, hunting rifles, or assault style rifles.

My question here, is where is the 382.1M bucks really going to be spent on?

That is a huge amount of money for simple "investigation".

Why, does our Attorney General not seek to enforce existing gun laws and
make penalties much stiffer for criminals who use guns during the commission
of a crime, or possess a stolen handgun.

Leave the 2nd Amendment alone and do your "enforcement" job please....

:att:

Reactions: fred613

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Any firearms company that works with the govt on these types of "safety" features should be boycotted immediately and forever.

What happens when the bracelet doesn't talk to the gun...and you need it? Who's gonna be responsible for your inability to defend yourself when the system malfunctions? Assuming you're alive to tell about it. Will you be able to sue the gunmaker? What about all the governments both federal, state and local who mandated this technology into the law? In general, I don't think us regular Joe's have too much luck suing governments.

And even if you do win, is that preferred to even being put in the position of having a case? I mean, I love my Challenger but if I could go back to April 13, 2008 and relive that day, I'd either go faster or take a different route home. Then I could avoid being hit by the drunk driver from which the settlement I used to buy my car with, resulted. I'd much prefer a financed Challenger and not have the daily back pain or need to take pain pills every day.

Leave my safety to me. My guns have mechanical safeties and they work every time when they're used. There's absolutely no need for any fancy high tech intervention device to do my thinking for me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
They (Government) has to disarm the population prior to taking us into the last vestages of the New World Order. I am tired of hearing what other Nations think about our rights. The original came directly from our conflict with the British, where firearms were confiscated and soldiers were quartered in the home of Civilians. The founders knew what would happen to a tyranical government and the right to own firearms, not weapons, was a lynchpin for the Republic's survival. If they can't physically take your firearms then they try in other ways, like harder regulations for purchase, taxes, or attempting legislation against the manufactures for crimes committed by lawless persons who steal and use firearms illegally. The whole idea of self defense with a firearm is so that anyone with training can use it, father, mother or others in the household that have been properly trained. The bracelet idea is simply an idea to limit the firearm to be used by only one person. I have been in LE for many years and this stuff just makes me sick. All I can say friends is keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
207 Posts
They (Government) has to disarm the population prior to taking us into the last vestages of the New World Order. I am tired of hearing what other Nations think about our rights. The original came directly from our conflict with the British, where firearms were confiscated and soldiers were quartered in the home of Civilians. The founders knew what would happen to a tyranical government and the right to own firearms, not weapons, was a lynchpin for the Republic's survival. If they can't physically take your firearms then they try in other ways, like harder regulations for purchase, taxes, or attempting legislation against the manufactures for crimes committed by lawless persons who steal and use firearms illegally. The whole idea of self defense with a firearm is so that anyone with training can use it, father, mother or others in the household that have been properly trained. The bracelet idea is simply an idea to limit the firearm to be used by only one person. I have been in LE for many years and this stuff just makes me sick. All I can say friends is keep your powder dry.
Very well said!

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is gun violence exactly?

Very well said!
X2!

Very good comments and reps to those who fully understand what this
entails, implies and the consequences of this "prohibition" policy.

Look at excellent examples of this liberal mindset, in the prohibition of Alcohol
in the 1920's. It created the Chicago Mafia and corruption was rampant.
Criminals are *always* going to find a way around law. But now, lawbreakers
are finding that they can find relief in using creative ways to explain their
criminal behaviors....

My daddy spanked me as a kid, and made me this violent murderer....

:i_rolleyes:

The real question to Eric Holder from me, is why does he not look at black-on-black
crime (and the death rate there from gun violence) and the +76% out of
wedlock birthrate for young black women in America. Would not this be
a much higher priority for him being the 'Chief Law Enforcement Officer" in
the US??

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,426 Posts
My firearms are MINE and they will never leave my hands, unless they want to take them from my dead hands!

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
18,464 Posts
I'm all for appropriate safeguards when it comes to the purchase and registering of guns so that Joe pissed off or Joe criminal can't buy a gun to do bad things.
However I don't see where the proposed measures would have any effect or the real problem of illegal guns or the criminals that use them.Elvis has left the building and the fat lady stopped singing a long time ago on that issue. I believe harsher penalties for guns used during a crime would be a step in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
At least to me...the question is...does the government want to control what criminals do with guns...or do they want to control what law abiding citizens who own guns do.:4-dontknow: Only a forced administration of sodium pentothal can really answer that question IMO.:shakehead:

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
My daddy spanked me as a kid, and made me this violent murderer.....
Some would suggest that when this stopped, the problems started. When parents stopped disciplining their kids to keep them in line, and decided it would be much better to be their best friend. :4-dontknow:

Reactions: MommaBetty
1 - 11 of 11 Posts