Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, noticed a few weeks ago at about 120 mph the front corner of the hood (driver side) lifting up a little.. today, at 140 mph... the hood was noticeably lifting up... so I know Hood Pins would fix it.... I am curious if anyone else has this happen..

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I notice my hood will move around a little at higher speeds, but I've never gone much faster than 110mph before and that was just for a few seconds. Typically I only go 80mph or less on the road with the occasional blast to 90-95mph if no traffic is around.

If you put in hood scoops you'll see the hood has quite a bit of area between the outer and inner layer where air could get in there and cause it to move around a little. But I don't think the hood would ever actually lift up and pop open provided the hood latch is secure.

My Nova does the same thing at the end of the track, sometimes it looks like it's going to pop open, but it never does, and when I check the latch it's still secure, not like it worked itself loose or something.

My guess is you'll be fine, but if you like the look of hood pins then might as well go for it.

You must have some nice open roads where you're at to go 140mph. There's no room to do that around here, too much traffic, but out in the country it'd be fun!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
When I drove my R/T off the lot 2 years ago....I pushed het to about 110 at one point. Lordy Jesus! My hood was flexing and lifting! I called the dealership as soon as I got home. They explained that because the hood was aluminum, it is expected to flex under extreme conditions. PHEW!!
Since then, there has been a LOT of flexing going on!!:smileup:

·
Registered
22,668 Posts
I've never noticed the hood trying to lift, I'd guess it's latched on their pretty secure and I don't think you have to worry about it coming off. However if you feel the need like you said you can always throw a set of hood pins on it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have had mine up to 110 for a few seconds but could not tell you if hood was flexing too busy watching the road ahead. lol

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I've been up too 135mph but wasn't watching the hood, I was watching and listening to the rear window louvers. Never though to watch the hood. LOL Although now with new Shaker hood and hood pins I wouldn't be too worried about it. I can't imagine the hood latch failing on these cars, the way everything is tested now days to the extreme, seems quite unlikely IMO...

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies... I was just curious as it is not some thing I have heard brought up before.. There is a stretch of I-10 west of me that is arrow straight - I don't get over there much but when I do and traffic is non-existent I leg it out... The car is so stable I had a chance to look at the speedo, the hood... down the road... Actually this thing accelerates so fast it doesn't take too long to get there...

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Yeah, the hood is light and flexible. Go with hood pins for added protection but you should be fine without them too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts