Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been tinking about these hop-not kits like maybe a good idea for my car. Would the number 1 kit be sufficient to stop most of the hop? And are there any negatives to installing one of these kits?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can't answer your question because i have never had the need to use something like this. I think wheel hop is a 6 speed phenom and i have an auto. I've never had a bit of wheel hop---and I've lit 'em up real good a few times. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hopping

I really don't think its the car, my car hopped all over the place with the factory tires but after replacing the tires with the optional f1 goodyears the few times I roasted the tires no hopping at all. A friend of mine asked me if I put the pedal all the way to the floor when spinning the tires. I said yes , he said don't do that ease into it and shift before the pedal hits the floor.So I think its a combination of the tires and technique. Hope this helps.:4-wavey:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hopping is a phenomenon that does happen on some, but not all, Challengers. The issue is not a problem unless you are burning rubber at a standstill and the tires get into a bouncing pattern (e.g.: not a smooth clutch dump, ripples in the pavement). The problem get better with a hopnot kit, but it does not 100% resolve it as I have been able to recreate it but it's significantly better than before.

That being said, the benefit I find from the hopnot kit is not in fixing the hopping, but it definitely adds more downforce on the rear and your car will stick to the ground better in corners (with the right tires).

I've heard others simply replaced the rear bushings (Pedders, Whiteline) and has had the same affect as doing the hopnot kit.

The drawback of the hopnot kit is a minor modification to one of the sections of a bushing (unless they've changed that) -- you remove a plate and cut rubber.

I like it, but I no longer use it for it's intended purpose as I no longer burn rubber.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hopping is a phenomenon that does happen on some, but not all, Challengers. The issue is not a problem unless you are burning rubber at a standstill and the tires get into a bouncing pattern (e.g.: not a smooth clutch dump, ripples in the pavement).
I wish that was all it was. Mine is also terrible. I could be driving in first gear, start off real slow, fully disengage the clutch, get up to some speed, then punch it and BANG BANG BANG - violent, loud, wheel hop. It's definitely worse when the ground is cold and the tires are not as sticky.

Even tire chirps hop - chirp, chirp, chirp. 3 for 1. Not fun and one day it'll break something.

I'm with you, coolbreeze. Got to do something, just not sure what'll work the best.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish that was all it was. Mine is also terrible. I could be driving in first gear, start off real slow, fully disengage the clutch, get up to some speed, then punch it and BANG BANG BANG - violent, loud, wheel hop. It's definitely worse when the ground is cold and the tires are not as sticky.

Even tire chirps hop - chirp, chirp, chirp. 3 for 1. Not fun and one day it'll break something.

I'm with you, coolbreeze. Got to do something, just not sure what'll work the best.
I've read a lot of good reports on this "Hop Not" kit but what I'd like to know if it somehow would mess up something safety wise by altering the independent suspension aspect or what ever was designed into the vehicle in the first place. I wouldn't want to compromise anything by doing that. No one has addressed that in all the raves about the kit. And they make 2 kits...part one and part two.:4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I have the Stage 2 kit on my '09 SRT 6-speed. It helped a great deal, but the hop is also dependent on the tires you're running.
A sticky tire is going to hop more in the 6 speed - period.
That said, mine hops two or three times on a hard launch and then bites hard into the pavement - blacktop or concrete, doesn't matter. I'm running Nitto Invo 275 35-20s in the rear. It's a medium-soft compound, so it's going to hop unless I drop rear tire pressure to around 23 PSI. Then, the TPMS kicks out a chirp for low tire pressure.
I think you need to experiment with the compound and sidewall height (aspect ratio) to really eliminate the hop completely.
For the $600.00 or so it cost me for the Stage 2 kit, I'd say it was a good investment, and hasn't caused any drivability or durability issues whatsoever.
***Be advised - the installation is a PITA if you do it yourself. Took me two nights after work to get the rear cradle bushings modified correctly by hand. I had no lift to work on. And make sure you have an accurate torque wrench that will go well past the recommended 125 Ft Lbs for the rear cradle bolts. I re-torqued mine after a day of driving after the mod - glad I did it! They were pretty loose after being worked in.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
I haven't had any major issues with wheelhop in my car, just a few times that I can recall. If I just rev up the engine and dump the clutch then yes its wheelhop city. But if you rev it up to 4000RPM and the let the clutch out quick but smooth, it will just peel out like crazy and it's lots of fun! :)

At the track I've either bogged or spun the tires. I only wheelhopped really bad once and that was on a weekend when they prepped the track really good with VHT. On test n tune night when I usually go the track prep isn't all that great. I took off that day and it just wheelhopped all through 1st and 2nd, I kept letting off and getting back on it, just kept hopping. It sucked. I ran a 14.75 at 103mph or something haha!

The autos have it made at the track. Much harder to launch clean and consistent with a 6 speed.

One guy on here just runs slicks at the track and no hop not kit and he has no issues. Forget his screenname though. He runs high 12's usually with his car and it just has minor bolt ons. Think his 60fts were 1.8 or so.

I've thought about it before as well, but it's not an issue that comes up enough to justify spending $600+ on it for me personally. But if it's annoying you and taking away from your fun of driving the car, then I would definitely go for it. It sounds like a lot of people have had good luck with it.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
A little late to this party... but... I ran mine (1/4 mile track) in Dec 13. Hopped like crazy... A month later I had the stage I kit installed... 99% hop reduced on dry pavement... wet pavement was still hop city... NOW, today I had the factory F1's replaced with Pirelli PZeros... so I'll have to see how these new tires are with regards to wheel hop....

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the info I was looking for Shane. Great to hear that the stage 1 kit took care of 99% of the hop. That would be good enough for me as I'm not that serious about the racing scene, just messing around with it once in a while.
Did you have someone else do the install? And how involved was it, labor cost, etc.
Thanks

·
5,522 Posts
I had a place do it for me, paid 140 for the install. It took them about two hours (I was hung over and slept it off in the waiting room) The only part that would seem to be a PITA is having to trim the rubber to get everything to mount flush.... I imagine a dremel tool would make quick work of it. I have the STP option so it only stiffened up the ride a little bit more over stock. Still is very smooth on the highway... I need to abuse the new tires a little to see how they handle... I will update as soon as I can get a few hard launches in. I drive my car pretty hard so it won't take long... Also, remember, in the wet--- no improvement... yet....

·
5,522 Posts
I have Pirelli pzeros on now... several launches and chirping 2nd, 3rd gears... no wheel hop yet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.