Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am new I will ask what is a good hopup for our rt? Mine is a 2014 RT classic and I do not want to void the warranty in any way. I am interested in cold air intake, programmer etc..

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
I am not sure what tuner is out for the 14' but I have the Diablo Trinity with custom tuning from Hemifever..., I have the Blastin Bob's resonator delete kit... if you have an automatic, you may want to research which exhaust will give you the best sound without the "drone" that some get. Plenty of folks here will be willing to help with any questions so you are in the right place... Lots of vendors here too, so just have to do some research to see what suits you and your wallet (this site IS NOT WALLET SAFE!!!) lol.... Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. Mine is a 6 speed. I don't know about the exhaust. Not sure yet what I can do and void the warranty. SHe only has 93 miles on here so far. We just got it this Monday. I want to keep it drivable for my wife as she likes driving it also. So I am just looking for subtle mods..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Exhaust and cold air won't void your warranty.

Your first mod should be a Oil catch can from one of the vendors here. This will help prolong the life of your hemi, by catching the oil vapor from blowing back into the intake and motor!

From what I quickly learned, get a CAI as well with your catch can, or else you will need a fender mount bracket or z bracket, but with a CAI intake, you can mount the catch can to a stud on the front of the block. Looks really pretty that way. :).
I also recommend the blastin bobs reso delete kit. They have a few to choose from. Mines are still riding around in the trunk waiting for me to put them on lol.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on your purchase.

Do your research on the catch can. Most will swear by them but in reality if they were so worthy they would come on the car from the mfg. Not one mfg puts them on from the factory and if they truly helped prolong the life, one would think for the extra $30 (cost) you would think they would. If you do the research you will find that what the catch can "grabs" is what ever happens to pass by the pickup tube, in theory if you put ten catch cans, they would all "catch" something.

Anyway, if you like the look of them and think they are cool, go for it! Otherwise, spend it elsewhere. Just my opinion based on a ton of research in the internet. Almost went right out and bought one like everyone else until I did the research.

Have fun. These cars are a blast. We have had ours for six months and just turned 10k miles! What a blast!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Like all have said here, a catch can is a must. I like to also add splash guards, either Mopar or stealth, your preference, to protect your fenders from chips. For exhaust, I see you have the 6 speed, a great Mod is the BB reso delete, either straight pipes or glasspacks, your choice. A cold air intake I say least of the rest. As the newer, 2013+ have a good intake. If you go with a CAI, Mopar is most expensive, which I have. I had mine added to my purchase of my car, so it cost me nothing. But if I didn't I would have gone for the K&N CAI.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
As far as warranty - some dealerships are more uptight than others about modifying... but ultimately they have to prove the modification led to the failure of a component. CAI, exhaust are pretty common.... I also put in a Hurst shifter.... way shorter throws, but it isn't for everyone....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THnaks for the replys fella's. I am still reading on catch cans. 50/50 split on opinions. I will ad one anyway just for the peace of mind. I will wait on exhaust as i really wanted to start with CAI and a tuner but i am having difficulty finding one for the 2014. I have read Diablo and Hypertech are top choices but nothing for the 2014 yet.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Personal choice like everything else. When it comes to mechanical, I side with the engineers. If they felt it was needed, it would be there. Not too mention, for me, I have the Dodge lifetime complete care warranty so all in all not too worried. If I didn't have it, maybe I would be more concerned.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Personal choice like everything else. When it comes to mechanical, I side with the engineers. If they felt it was needed, it would be there. Not too mention, for me, I have the Dodge lifetime complete care warranty so all in all not too worried. If I didn't have it, maybe I would be more concerned.

HO-RT, Just remember there is an assumption buried in your statement - that the engineers always get their way. If you have seen all of the threads on the timing chain recall, you'll realize that isnt always true. No engineer in his/her right mind would develop timing chain tensioner guides made of plastic. The bean counters and profiteers probably had final say on that one (and I bet dollars to donuts the engineers didnt know their design was changed out from under them when prodcution run orders were crafted).

Ask all of the folks on this forum how they are feeling these days about the timing chain fiasco. Yes they are covered by the warranty, just like yours, but that doesnt change the fact that not a single person among them is at all happy to have to take their car in for the repair - and some are so distrustful as to hold off.

Always remember that our cars were made with parts by the lowest cost suppliers and assembled with the lowest labor costs possible from other countries.

So a little "engineering" insurance - that also looks good in the engine bay - is a no brainer for me!

Having said that, I respect what you say and your decision. The fact that you own and love your Challenger means your head is screwed on right and you will no doubt do right by her!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
HO-RT, Just remember there is an assumption buried in your statement - that the engineers always get their way. If you have seen all of the threads on the timing chain recall, you'll realize that isnt always true. No engineer in his/her right mind would develop timing chain tensioner guides made of plastic. The bean counters and profiteers probably had final say on that one (and I bet dollars to donuts the engineers didnt know their design was changed out from under them when prodcution run orders were crafted).

Ask all of the folks on this forum how they are feeling these days about the timing chain fiasco. Yes they are covered by the warranty, just like yours, but that doesnt change the fact that not a single person among them is at all happy to have to take their car in for the repair - and some are so distrustful as to hold off.

Always remember that our cars were made with parts by the lowest cost suppliers and assembled with the lowest labor costs possible from other countries.

So a little "engineering" insurance - that also looks good in the engine bay - is a no brainer for me!

Having said that, I respect what you say and your decision. The fact that you own and love your Challenger means your head is screwed on right and you will no doubt do right by her!
You are correct about the bean counters! If they can save a dollar, they will do it! My thought was if a $30 part would save them potential hundreds or thousands down the road, they would have done it. Maybe not. Also, I did watch a video that showed an engine with a clear plastic intake that had a catch can attached (not a Hemi) and basically all it was "catching" was simply anything that just happen to be "in the area". So in other words, you could install 20 catch cans and they are all going to catch something. So realistically, to be effective, that's pretty much what you would have to do. Install one in each corner of the engine minimal to be remotely effective. Nonetheless, I can see where they make people feel good and it was a great idea on someone's part for sure on that premise alone!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
You are correct about the bean counters! If they can save a dollar, they will do it! My thought was if a $30 part would save them potential hundreds or thousands down the road, they would have done it. Maybe not. Also, I did watch a video that showed an engine with a clear plastic intake that had a catch can attached (not a Hemi) and basically all it was "catching" was simply anything that just happen to be "in the area". So in other words, you could install 20 catch cans and they are all going to catch something. So realistically, to be effective, that's pretty much what you would have to do. Install one in each corner of the engine minimal to be remotely effective. Nonetheless, I can see where they make people feel good and it was a great idea on someone's part for sure on that premise alone!
That sounds like an interesting video - do you have a link you could post?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
That sounds like an interesting video - do you have a link you could post?
I will search for it. This was back in Sept when I bought my R/T. I was on the web looking for a catch can and was hesitant as I did not like the looks to be quite honest. So I was searching like a mad man and reading everything about them. Came across a link and watched the video. To be honest and fair, I believe it was a diesel engine, but I am guessing on my part that the theory is similar (if not, I apologize and I will admit, I am NOT a mechanic, but I have been around cars my entire life and do most of my own work). I will look for the video and post if I can find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.