1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
GM, FORD, Stellantis and everyone else is going one way Battery Junk they are forced to this and they wont turn back unless you can get the Politics out of this crap
I predict they will go back to ICE engines or at least hybrids before long after the stampede to EV's. The EV dream being pushed is unsustainable and it is a disastrous fiasco just waiting to happen. Once reality explodes that dream (no pun intended) and sales drop to zero, they will either return to sanity or go out of business.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
the rumors that they would keep the hemis and their variants was just that, a rumor. the ev push isnt feasible, at this moment. i see a push for turbo v6's and v4's, some of which will be more powerful than the hemi's. hellcat power and above, i can see them still keeping them, bringing them back after a couple of years, but the non supercharged ones, probably not. the fact that the alfa romeo quadrifoglio is pushing 505 horses out of a turbo 6, and is a part of stellantis, shows you where the power will be coming from. it is a decent engine, if they can fix the reliability issues. my kia, with just a tune, is pushing more horses than my stock scat pack. yes tune for tune, the hemi will put down more power, but, there are a couple of stinger out there, with tunes and upgraded fuel systems and upraded turbos that are pushing close to 700 horsepower. the cost is a mere fraction of what would need to be done to a 392 to get to that level. yes, i know, its a v6. put, remember that the grand national made unreal power and was a monster for many years. just my .02 cents worth of dumb info

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
824 Posts
With the moron in the White House offering a $7000 rebate on EV's, I think it will only be a couple of years before the grid is overwhelmed and thousands of EV's are stranded. It will take (here comes an oxymoron) an intelligent, morally committed, political leader to figure out that EV's are a pipe dream of the sky is falling utopians.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
all the morons in the white house have offered rebates on ev's he isn't the first. and there has always been some type of push on powerful engined cars and pushing what was needed like johnson did with seat belts in the 60's because of high speed wrecks like nixon/ford/carter did with the 55 mph limits in the 70's because of the oil embargos. reagan did with hydrogen cars back in the 80's and bush/clinton/bush in the 90's again with hydrogen and the beginnings of the ev's its all a political ploy, from all parties. and no political leader is going to go against this. it will just fade away, like it does every 10 yrs or so.

·
Registered
2020 Redeye WB
170 Posts
the rumors that they would keep the hemis and their variants was just that, a rumor. the ev push isnt feasible, at this moment. i see a push for turbo v6's and v4's, some of which will be more powerful than the hemi's. hellcat power and above, i can see them still keeping them, bringing them back after a couple of years, but the non supercharged ones, probably not. the fact that the alfa romeo quadrifoglio is pushing 505 horses out of a turbo 6, and is a part of stellantis, shows you where the power will be coming from. it is a decent engine, if they can fix the reliability issues. my kia, with just a tune, is pushing more horses than my stock scat pack. yes tune for tune, the hemi will put down more power, but, there are a couple of stinger out there, with tunes and upgraded fuel systems and upraded turbos that are pushing close to 700 horsepower. the cost is a mere fraction of what would need to be done to a 392 to get to that level. yes, i know, its a v6. put, remember that the grand national made unreal power and was a monster for many years. just my .02 cents worth of dumb info
I agree with this. The problem for me is the whole turbo idea. I want zero to do with any turbo configuration. Being in the car business we've seen just how fragile and unreliable turbos are over time. Total throwaways. Not to mention the driving experience. I personally cant stand the lag and the waiting for a whoosh. They are a temporary fix on the way out the door due to stricter emissions regulations. Years from now EV's will more than likely take over, but not yet.

·
Registered
2020 Gold Rush T/A 392 50th Anniversary, 66 of 70
162 Posts
I think that there is room for ICE and EV's to both share the roads, just don't mandate it artificially. I do not care for the talk that a turbo 4 or 6 could replace the enjoyment of driving a powerful V8. Turbo lag, off boost driveability, no power off idle, all that is annoying and can't be ignored. Maybe for 90% of the driving you won't notice it, but it is still an issue. It takes away from the driving enjoyment in my other car, even if power was bumped up to Hellcat levels.

If I had to drive an EV, it would look like this. Actual high tech design, not just fancy tablet screens; less drag than the mirrors on an F150; less weight than a Miata; designed to meet automobile safety standards not motorcycle standards; 1000 mile range and enough daily solar recharging to cover the average commute and then some; pricing that doesn't start in the stratosphere...and production starts this fall.
Water Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
339 Posts
EVs are feasible for use in cities given their shortcomings however the power grid and infrastructure to support them are not, not in North America anyway. I imagine in the future the really rich will be the only ones driving anything that isn't public transit and even then it will likely be autonomous. Turbo V6 doesn't look so bad now I bet...

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
actually, i always figured that ev's would be better in suburban areas not urban areas. traffic jams in major cities, no parking, etc. in the suburbs where it is only needed to go grocery shopping, there usually is more parking available. as for turbo lag, true, but, with twin turbo set-ups becoming more prevalent, turbo lag is almost, and i do stress, almost gone. but, either way, you are correct in saying it won't be the same. unfortunately, we will see. we can only hope that with enough people yelling, they will reconsider. it has happened before and it will happen again

Reactions: Slowpoke387

·
Registered
339 Posts
actually, i always figured that ev's would be better in suburban areas not urban areas. traffic jams in major cities, no parking, etc. in the suburbs where it is only needed to go grocery shopping, there usually is more parking available. as for turbo lag, true, but, with twin turbo set-ups becoming more prevalent, turbo lag is almost, and i do stress, almost gone. but, either way, you are correct in saying it won't be the same. unfortunately, we will see. we can only hope that with enough people yelling, they will reconsider. it has happened before and it will happen again
Partially agree in that, yes, they are likely to be used more in a suburban setting when practical but you still would need an ICE for longer trips where recharging might be difficult but it will likely just be the second car anyway so you can show the neighbours you are fighting climate change albeit with electricity and vehicle/battery production causing even more pollution. If you can only afford one vehicle a Hybrid might be the better choice anyway (try buying one these days though, year+ wait times). Won't be traffic jams in cities if they start banning cars and having tolls to enter and whatever other stupid solutions they seem to be coming up with...hopefully this is far enough out that I won't be around to be affected.

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,774 Posts
Unfortunately, at least to me, I think you are correct.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
"electric car market is largely dominated by spacious SUVs and efficient sedans"

Demonstration of obvious bias. Everything written after this statement is vacuous. IMO.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,372 Posts
EVs are feasible for use in cities given their shortcomings however the power grid and infrastructure to support them are not, not in North America anyway. I imagine in the future the really rich will be the only ones driving anything that isn't public transit and even then it will likely be autonomous. Turbo V6 doesn't look so bad now I bet...
Public transit? Now I'd like to see how they pull that off where I live!! LOL!

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Fly over country and public transportation are mutually exclusive. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,846 Posts
With the moron in the White House offering a $7000 rebate on EV's, I think it will only be a couple of years before the grid is overwhelmed and thousands of EV's are stranded. It will take (here comes an oxymoron) an intelligent, morally committed, political leader to figure out that EV's are a pipe dream of the sky is falling utopians.
There is a more immediate risk to the EVs for all nonsense....

Yesterday's WSJ had an article on EVs: Car Makers Seek Easier Path on EV Tax Credit.

A real concern is not only the bulk of the minerals necessary for EVs produced outside of the US China plays a major role in the post mining processing of the minerals.

Let me include a PDF of the graphic from the article...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
What? You can't see the advantage of an all electric combine? Save the planet!!!
I'm sure the snowflakes will put a charging station on each 480 acre section of wheatfield for you!!o_O

1 - 20 of 39 Posts