Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The April edition of Hot Rod magazine has a pretty interesting interview with Ralph Gilles which for once seems to provide some insight as to the future of our Mopar Muscle cars.

Here's a couple excerpts from the article:

HRM] So horsepower is really important to sales, and you know Ford and Chevy are way ahead of you there.

RG] Horsepower wars have always been part of the battle. It used to be a Big Three thing, now I think it’s a Big Five, Big Six thing with these other OEs…Nissan, even Ferrari, which is already on its own planet, in a way. But usable horsepower is the next big discussion. I like to talk power-to-weight. We have Viper that’s in the top three on horsepower-to-weight ratio, in the TA currently, and that’s what you feel every day. We have a situation where, you know--we may have a situation--where the flagship car is not the most powerful car in our arsenal; how do we explain that to ourselves? So we have an internal horsepower race as well as an external one.

HRM] That’s the closest you’ve been to an admission [that the new Challenger SRT will be supercharged]. A few minutes ago, I told you we did a three-way shootout, and in a mile and a half, the Challenger was slower than the Camaro and the Mustang. You told me, “come back next year.”

RG] Ha…yeah.

HRM] Is that the end of that statement?

RG] Yup.

HRM] What happens in 2018 when CAFE hits [and potentially kills horsepower due to government mpg requirements]?

RG] It’s hitting now. The way CAFE works, we’re banking credits now; even from three years ago. That’s why at SRT we’ve changed our business model to work on less volume. We could make three times more Grand Cherokee SRTs and still sell them, but we’re truncating the volume on purpose to manage CAFE, but also to be sure we can command a premium. Thank God we have the mother ship to balance us out. Viper is small enough to be insignificant to CAFE but still be iconic and give us bragging rights.

HRM] In new-car design, when is retro going to wear off?

RG] Sigh…it’s kinda now. If you look, it’s retro-modern now. I think the last few years it was truly retro, directly capturing the past. Look at, like, the new Jaguar F-series; it’s retro proportioned, but it’s very new. I think the Viper’s the same way. It’s respecting our heritage but not relying on it.

HRM] So is the next Challenger still going to look like a ’70 Challenger?

RG] Mmmmmaybe…[laughs]. But that’s a special car. I think the Challenger is our place to enjoy heritage. That’s why I like working at Chrysler: We have 23 or more nameplates, and there’s times when we’re futuristic because we know customers like that, and other time’s we’re heritage. The next Charger’s going to be much more futuristic than a throwback. And the Dart clearly has nothing to do with the old car.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
HRM] In new-car design, when is retro going to wear off?

RG] Sigh…it’s kinda now. If you look, it’s retro-modern now. I think the last few years it was truly retro, directly capturing the past. Look at, like, the new Jaguar F-series; it’s retro proportioned, but it’s very new. I think the Viper’s the same way. It’s respecting our heritage but not relying on it.

HRM] So is the next Challenger still going to look like a ’70 Challenger?

RG] The next Charger’s going to be much more futuristic than a throwback. And the Dart clearly has nothing to do with the old car.
Those statements should pretty much stop the Barracuda rumors. But I said that a year ago when my source told me they shelved it.

Now lets see them start on the Charger rumors anyone wanna bet that it uses a 4 Door Alfa platform ??

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Where's my ammunition? Without Mopar supremacy with the HEMI I see no reason to live LOL

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
144 Posts
with Ralph at the helm expect to be offerded a Honda clone with a extensively computer managed turbo 4 banger and a buzz can
I should clarify, I am a Hot Rod subscriber and I have followed Ralph since his hire, I haven't heard anything I felt positive about, basically I feel as though he is telling us our days are over

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
with Ralph at the helm expect to be offerded a Honda clone with a extensively computer managed turbo 4 banger and a buzz can
I should clarify, I am a Hot Rod subscriber and I have followed Ralph since his hire, I haven't heard anything I felt positive about, basically I feel as though he is telling us our days are over
Naw it will be a Alfa clone with Spaghetti power and Sergio pulling Gillies' noodles :str: . Like many CEO's Ralph answers to a higher source and I am sure he likes his Rockstar paycheck so he will roll over to the highers with little resistance. Since HIS 2014 Viper hasnt sold well he cant take to many chances .
He is a a design Illustrator thats how he got into SRT as far a a Mechanical Car Background none I am sure being the smart man he is he has picked up some But The performance thinking @ Dodge comes from MoPar Underground and Mopar Performance not Mopar design. SRT just uses what is given to them and produces the cars.

Just to throw in just how many new Performance parts do you see available from Mopar Performance ??? check out Ford Racing before the Coyotes hit the street there were Intake Manifolds, Cams, headers all available for them. We have Stripes,wheels and a Cold Air Intake.

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just to throw in just how many new Performance parts do you see available from Mopar Performance ??? check out Ford Racing before the Coyotes hit the street there were Intake Manifolds, Cams, headers all available for them. We have Stripes,wheels and a Cold Air Intake.
Cat-back exhaust, don't forget the cat-back LOL, man I wish Direct-Connection would make a comeback, that's when Ma Mopar really supported the muscle car guys.

The cars are better than ever, it would just be nice if their performance parts division and support would catch up.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Cat-back exhaust, don't forget the cat-back LOL, man I wish Direct-Connection would make a comeback, that's when Ma Mopar really supported the muscle car guys.

The cars are better than ever, it would just be nice if their performance parts division and support would catch up.
Yes I stand correct how could I forget the catback exhaust.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts