Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well from the other thread Black Challenger wanted terms that are use so here are a few (If you add a word/term also give meaning)

Hazing the tires -- Rear tires not completely smoking but still spinning under hard accell,

Blowing the tires off - Hard accell tires smoking loosing traction.

Blower - supercharger adds compressed air to Engine increasing power.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,672 Posts
Hemi (Hemispherical): V6 and V8 engines built by Chrysler with a hemispherical (bowl shaped) combustion chamber allowing the two valves of a cylinder to face each other across the chamber, rather than a parallel opening. Several other auto makers have used hemispherical designs, but Chrysler was the first auto maker to trademark the term, "Hemi".

WOT (Wide Open Throttle): Refers to an engine's maximum intake of air and fuel occuring when the throttle plates inside the throttle body are "wide open", providing the least resistance to the incoming air.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Line-lock , Electric switch controlled solenoid that when activated holds brake fluid pressure to lock front brakes only thus releasing rear brakes for burnouts

NOS - New Old Stock , old Original Manufacturer parts not aftermarket.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Question for Hemimetal: Are you saying the Pentastar 3.6L V6 has hemispherical heads? I own one and thought it didn't, but not entirely sure. Thanks.....

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,672 Posts
Question for Hemimetal: Are you saying the Pentastar 3.6L V6 has hemispherical heads? I own one and thought it didn't, but not entirely sure. Thanks.....
No. Pentastars have a traditional V engine design.

·
finally"scat pack slime"
405 Posts
great thread

Nos-also has 2 other meanings the first being Nitrous Oxide Systems to be used in conjunction with your reg fuel system to sort of spray instant HP.The other being an energy drink that looks like a nos bottle. PCM- Power Control Module one of the brains of your vehicles engine management fuel/air systems, uses lots of inputs thru out the engine to control fuel injectors. DVOM-Digital Volt Ohmmeter 1 of many tools needed to check voltage and resistance in electical circuits of all vehicles,a must for anyone who wants to work on there own ride. this dosn't even scratch the surface,but one thing about it there are plenty of knowledgeable people here that can help you if you get in a bad spot, or at least point you in the right direction.:smileup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well from the other thread Black Challenger wanted terms that are use so here are a few (If you add a word/term also give meaning)

Hazing the tires -- Rear tires not completely smoking but still spinning under hard accell,

Can somebody address definition of big block, small block? I understand it does not relate to displacement. How do these classifications apply to the Mopar world of engines? Also, short block vs long block? thanks in advance
Joe V.

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,473 Posts
Can somebody address definition of big block, small block? I understand it does not relate to displacement. How do these classifications apply to the Mopar world of engines? Also, short block vs long block? thanks in advance
Joe V.
Here is a vid explaining Big/Small Block. It pertains to Chevy engines, but gives you an idea. http://www.ChallengerForumZ.com/showthread.php?t=109266

As far as the Chrysler World: just examples, by no means all inclusive.
Small Block - "LA" family of engines - 273, 318, 340, 360. Distributor in rear.
Big Block - "B", "RB", 2nd Gen Hemi(Elephant) - 361, 383, 413, 426, 440. Distributor angled on passenger front of block.

Short block usually means an assembled block, minus heads, intake manifold and accessories.
Long block includes assembled heads.

Hope this helps ya.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,672 Posts
Why is the 1/4 mile the American short distance racing standard?

Not really a racing term but more of explanation as to why the 1/4 mile is the baseline distance of American short distance sprint racing.

Apparently a quarter mile is (was?) the standard distance between stop lights in the United States. In the early days of American hot-rodding, and even now, a red stop light provided competing cars an opportunity to launch with equal footing from a stopped position. This is why dragstrips have the "Christmas Tree" launch lights. The next stop light signaled the finish line.

I learned this while watching Top Gear (UK) featuring an episode on modern American muscle cars.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,409 Posts
Now I understand why they designed those perfect three lane one way streets with those stop lights where I grew up. Perfect drag racing strips! Not that I ever participated though.:SHOCKED:
Thanks John!!!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
Not really a racing term but more of explanation as to why the 1/4 mile is the baseline distance of American short distance sprint racing.

Apparently a quarter mile is (was?) the standard distance between stop lights in the United States. In the early days of American hot-rodding, and even now, a red stop light provided competing cars an opportunity to launch with equal footing from a stopped position. This is why dragstrips have the "Christmas Tree" launch lights. The next stop light signaled the finish line.

I learned this while watching Top Gear (UK) featuring an episode on modern American muscle cars.
If you know how the American surveying system is set with Townships, ranges, and sections it makes a lot of sense. There are 36 sections in a township measuring 1 mile by 1 mile. Most major city's will build major arterial roads on these section lines. Minor arterial roads will be built on the half section lines. Finally, major collector roads are built between the two on 1/4 section lines. Most city's have lights on all these roads giving you your 1/4 mile drag track. Minor collectors usually don't have signals that would be on 1/8 section line. Now most eastern city's and dense city'sit is a little different and harder to do this. But for example anyone that has ever driving in Vegas can relate to the city streets being very well laid out on this grid.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Why is the 1/4 mile the American short distance racing standard?

thanks for the insight

·
Premium Member
12,526 Posts
Muscle Car: An intermediate size sedan with an engine around 400 cubic inches or more. Usually with a four barrel carb and 4 speed trans. While many can argue the 1964 GTO was the first. The 442 actually started life with a 330 cubic inch engine. The SS 396 was next and then the Buick GS. Mopar was very late to the party with the 67 GTX and RT.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Muscle Car: An intermediate size sedan with an engine around 400 cubic inches or more. Usually with a four barrel carb and 4 speed trans. While many can argue the 1964 GTO was the first. The 442 actually started life with a 330 cubic inch engine. The SS 396 was next and then the Buick GS. Mopar was very late to the party with the 67 GTX and RT.
How about the '63 426 max wedge dual quad crossram. Plymouth and dodge versions.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Now I understand why they designed those perfect three lane one way streets with those stop lights where I grew up. Perfect drag racing strips! Not that I ever participated though.:SHOCKED:
Thanks John!!!
This has been the most perfect unintentional (at least the city doesn't intend for it to be one) drag strip I've ever seen The "Trail" (Known officially as the Anthony Wayne Parkway)between Copland and the finish line is at end of Townley Rd, in Toledo.

Not that I've ever participated, oh no. Every time it's repaved, a start line is painted just past the intersection, and 1/4 mile away there is a finish line painted. These lines are not just someone with a spray can, they are always done professionally with the same paint they use for the lane lines. Over the 11 years I lived really close to it, I must have seen hundreds of cars making passes, from slow street cars to trailered race cars. A neighbor had a 413 Belvedere drop a driveshaft at over 100 MPH one night, very scary. A friend still lives near it and cars are still "tested" nightly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is why dragstrips have the "Christmas Tree" launch lights. The next stop light signaled the finish line.
I’m old enough (69) to remember when the sequence that a driver waited for at a red stoplight was:
- red
- red & yellow
- green

Somewhere along the way it was decided that it wasn’t a good idea to provide a “prepare-to-launch” signal for cars at stoplights.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Boiling the Baloney's= Burning Rubber.

Lincoln Locker= Welding the differential gears on an open differential to give you full time posi-traction.

Brake Stand- Using the brake pedal while adding accelerator pedal to get the drive train to overpower the rear brakes so you can do a burnout while the front brakes still hold the car still. Basically a poor man's line lock.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts