Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted to do the Hot Rod Power Tour. I left the house last Sunday with one of my best freinds who I've known since 1st grade (1980) in my 2019 Challenger T/A. I was a little nervous having never done the Power Tour before. The looming cost of fuel and leaving my car parked outside at a hotel overnight in Memphis, East Arkansas (we don't consider West TN as part of Tennessee) didn't make me feel good.

Despite the fuel cost ($363.24), sweltering heat, and the threat of stolen cars, it was well worth it. I think I heard 5 or 6 Hellcats were stolen along with a 1987 Cadillac in Memphis alone. An older couple from Louisianna had their Challenger Hellcat broken into at our hotel. They had "security" which I think could have been involved. I walked outside and saw the broken passenger window on the ground next to it and my heart sank. I immediately checked my car and it was fine. He had the Chrysler anti theft fix. I believe it would have been stolen otherwise. They were ready to go home, but a few of us encouraged them to get it fixed and continue on. They told me in Atlanta that they appreciated me and would have left if I hadn't encouraged them to stay. I felt much better when we crossed the Tennessee river back into real Tennessee. I met some cool people from all over the country. We hung with some guys from Denver, CO and San Antonio, TX. I saw Canadian license plates and some from Maine and Oregon. I believe there were participants from 47 states. My favorite venue was Atlanta Motor Speedway, but the best town we visited was Pensacola, FL.

Like I said, I met some cool folks. One of the coolest was Ralph Gilles from Dodge. He was driving his Hellucination Charger. That car was absolutely spectacular. If I ever come into stupid money, I'm going to have Speekore build one for me. Anyway, I went out to check on my car early on Tuesday morning when we were staying in Smyrna, TN below Nashville. I was parked two spaces over from Ralph's car. There was a guy putting stuff in the trunk and I asked him if it was his car. He told he it was his buddy Ralphs's. Ralph came out and started talking to me. I asked him about the Charger. It has a full carbon fiber body. That isn't a wrap. He said it has no real Charger parts and rides and drives great. I asked him if it creaked and moaned going down the road and he said it didn't. I then told him not to let me hold them up. He then asked me what year my car was and if I was always a Mopar guy. He asked about my cars/trucks. I told him a little and he acted super interested in what I had to say. He seems like a genuinely super person. I asked him if Direct Connection was going to have any 392 parts and he said they were coming in the fall.

I have a ton of pictures, but here are a few. I will probably post a few of the Mopars if I can get my slow internet to do it.

If you've ever thought the Power Tour would be fun, don't hesitate or let the cost of fuel deter you. It is a really fun experience that I have sorely missed the last two days.
Tire Wheel Car Sky Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, emichael, I hate that. I'm sorry I ruinied an idea for you.

I don't know what Hot Rod/Motortrend can do. They have to advertise the event. Of course, in doing so, the thieves know about it and can steal some nice cars and trucks. I did hear people were taking turns watching the cars at night. I don't know how I feel about that. I sure ain't going to confront someone stealing a car. The only smart thing to do is call the cops, but how long will it take for them to show up? As you said, you worry about staying at a hotel. It's not just a car event thing. Car theft is up everywhere.

I wasn't too excited about starting in Memphis, because frankly, Memphis is a cesspool of crime and it just plain sucks as a city. I know quite a few people from Memphis who state they never want to go back. I don't think I will do Power Tour if it ever involves an overnight stay in Memphis. I was worried about my car. I pulled my fuel pump relay every night. A Scat Pack owner I talked to told me I was just wasting my time because the professional thieves know what people do to disable Mopars and probably have spares. My hope was that if thieves struck, they'd go for the Hellcats and leave my car alone and that's what happened. I sure would hate to lose my car to a thief, but that's one reason I have insurance. I own two vehicles that, if I lost them, I'd cry and mourn their loss. My Challenger isn't one of them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All that said, my 392 T/A is a wonderful highway car. I put nearly 2000 miles on it last week and it rode so nice. I could take my hands off the steering wheel and it'd go straight. I could put the cruise control on 80 mph and it does a little over 1800 rpms. It knocked down a little over 24 mpg with the air conditioner on 68 degrees. The seats are great too. I could drive 200 miles, step out of the car, and not feel any pain in my back. Some people feel like I was cheating driving a "new" car. I'll pass on the 100 degree heat and no AC doing 3500 rpms down the highway at 65 mph. Oh, we also had the Platinum package. Call me a poser if you want. :) Maybe I can do a 392/8 speed swap in my 1980 D150 for next time. It will have AC!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts