Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
....I think I heard 5 or 6 Hellcats were stolen along with a 1987 Cadillac in Memphis alone. An older couple from Louisianna had their Challenger Hellcat broken into at our hotel. They had "security" which I think could have been involved. .... If you've ever thought the Power Tour would be fun, don't hesitate....
I have thought about it. But you just deterred me right there. That is a planned half million dollar heist, not random crooks.

I am already worried about any hotel I stay at overnight. I guess Power Tour does make a juicy target for thieves. Scout the hotels along the route in advance. Scout the cars on the road the first day. Strike at the right opportunity. I always thought Power Tour would end up with a lot of car guys watching out for each other, I never considered it an opportunity for thieves. Participating in Power Tour is a much bigger risk for a planned theft versus an opportunistic theft at a random hotel.

Being a West coaster, Power Tour has been on my long term bucket list if I ever get enough time to go cross-country and join. You just took it off the list. Seriously.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, emichael, I hate that. I'm sorry I ruinied an idea for you...
Thank you, but no apology needed on your part. Thanks for opening my eyes. You are right, that is what insurance is for. But I like to employ a bit of prudence too.

I have heard about Hot August Nights where hotels provided dedicated show car parking along with paid security. I guess I assumed HRPT arranged similar stuff, my bad. Staying up all night on guard duty doesn't sound like a fun vacation to me.

Related....

A few years ago I drove a classic car from OR to MN & back. I used Google Street View to find hotels with good parking outside the room. I made reservations for rooms with a close parking lot view.

The only incident was the first night. Middle of eastern WA, small town. Sleeping light, I awoke to a bright light in the room window. I jumped up, grabbing the personal protection necessities, and spotted the local Officer Friendly. His service vehicle had the spotlights focused on my car. He was standing outside of his car....taking a picture with his phone. o_O

·
Registered
408 Posts
... It knocked down a little over 24 mpg with the air conditioner on 68 degrees. ... I'll pass on the 100 degree heat and no AC doing 3500 rpms down the highway at 65 mph...
I got almost 22mpg running to the Black Hills last September. Set the cruise at 10% over, so 88mph across eastern Montana & Wyoming. VERY impressive for a car with this kind of horsepower on tap. I probably could have gotten to 24mpg, but I may have succumbed to temptation occasionally regularly. :sneaky:

The 2018 road trip in a classic car had no air conditioning. The air flow in old cars is much more conducive toward maintaining passenger comfort without active cooling. Wing windows, outside air vents, etc. The only time we felt uncomfortable was a 95 degree day where we were stuck in city traffic. 100+ degree heat at highway speed didn't bother us.

3500rpm was around 90mph though. Without lengthy details, this was in what was my dad's car. Listening to the SBC 'singing' on wide open roads brought some closure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts