Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This popped into my yesterday while driving back from work. How do you drive your challenger? I drive mine like an old lady lol. I don't speed, shift at 3k rmps, avoid bumps at ALL costs and downshift as much as possible to avoid using the brakes. Some people might think its a bit excessive but I want my baby lasting me for a LOOOONG time. So, am i alone on this or are more of you like me?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Although I don't drive my car lot cause of the fact I don't want it exposed to the snow, the rain, the heat of the summer (during the day) thats a huge mistake. Our cars are made to be driven. The more they sit abnd not be used the way they are suppose to they will not last as long as they can.I don't mind stepping on the gas a bit harder than usual when the time is right and the road conditions call for it. With that all said im hoping to drive it a bit more this year, I put less than 1,000 miles on it last year.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
When I do drive mine I try to give it a well rounded workout. By that I mean I do easy in certain traffic conditions and spirited when the opportunity presents itself. A nice stretch of winding country road is my favorite to play with the gears. Amazing!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
I drive it like it is stolen in town (10-12 mpg) and fairly conservative on the highway (24-27 mpg)...that is until I pass someone, then I look over at my wife and say "hemi engaged" lol but I only have put on 3500 miles in about 8 months.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
I am just going on 8 months and over 13K miles - When my kiddos are with me I dial it back a lot... except Cruisin the Coast - where they encouraged a burnout or two... When I am by myself I don't wait around for anyone, weather permitting... I try not to race it on the street but every now and then somebody tries me... On the highway, I drive as fast as traffic and weather will let me... School zones and neighborhoods are sacred though, no goofing around there....

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
When I get in that seat, push the start button and hear that sweet sounding exhaust, I can't help but drive my Challenger enthusiastically! I live in an area where the roads twist and turn, so it's a blast to rev her up and feel her power around those curves! I'm most definitely addicted!

·
Registered
154 Posts
In town I drive it like an old man. Slow pull offs, coast to red lights. I actually will try to play the game of see if I can keep the mpg at 17 or higher. However if another sporty/muscle car pulls in the lane next to me or I'm hitting a freeway I drive it like the cops are chasing me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got my foot in it every chance I get to.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I like Dodge's term - "Spirited Driving".
However I would never call it a "Chally".

·
Registered
589 Posts
i drive mine like an old lady lol. I don't speed, shift at 3k rmps, avoid bumps at ALL costs and downshift as much as possible to avoid using the brakes.
, the heat of the summer (during the day) thats a huge mistake. Our cars are made to be driven that all said im hoping to drive it a bit more this year, I put less than 1,000 miles on it last year.
I tend to drive mine like an old lady too, i dont have a lot of miles, i hit 6k so this year i will drive it harder...

and like the greek, want to drive it more this year. Its tough when the car is put away for half the year...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Chally....really. Haven't we been over this!!!!! Show some respect PLEASE

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I race mine, oops I meant drive mine like a hemi was meant to be driven.:Racing: If I was going to pamper it and drive it easy then I would have bought a Prius. :D

·
Banned
149 Posts
In the neighborhood, I barely hit the accelerator. School zones and areas I know children frequent or could possibly be walking on, and high volume police presence areas are also minimal throttle areas. Otherwise it depends on my mood and what the other drivers around me are doing. Very rare is it that I get up over 100mph on the highway, or on many of our 4 lane roads... I would say the avg speed is about 5-15 mph over the posted limits, generally. Though I will sometimes get to that point in a hurry.... or more spirited fashion...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I haven’t abused the car, but I haven’t driven it like a granny either. These cars need to be driven with your foot to the floor every once in a while (pause) to get the carbon out of the engine, yeah that’s it.

·
Average Guy
295 Posts
In town, very carefully, on the highway, a bit ;) spirited!!! I agree these cars are meant to be driven, not left in the garage, not driven like the family station wagon.

No one's dieing words will be "I wish I would have drove my Challenger less"!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This popped into my yesterday while driving back from work. How do you drive your challenger? I drive mine like an old lady lol. I don't speed, shift at 3k rmps, avoid bumps at ALL costs and downshift as much as possible to avoid using the brakes. Some people might think its a bit excessive but I want my baby lasting me for a LOOOONG time. So, am i alone on this or are more of you like me?
ditto on the not speeding, low shifts and avoiding bumps.
I probably don't put too much emphasis on downshifting though. I will when it's needed, but I'd rather put wear on the brakes than the engine.

I am the kind of person to keep their stuff for as long as possible, but I only own an SE. So while I would like to keep it for as long as possible, it doesn't get me as much just sitting there. SE's are daily drivers. And mine is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
With wife in car = like an old man. With son in car = moderately fun. With nobody else in car = accel pedal stays glued to the floor all the time

If I didn't want to go fast I would have bought a Toyota Corolla.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts