How long will the Challenger survive in this era????

Discussion in 'ChallengerForumZ.com Polls' started by loquillo1320, Oct 16, 2008.

?

Will the Challenger Survive continuous production????

1. 4 years

95 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. 6 Years

51 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. 8 Years

28 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Limited Edition

53 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. rjs2005

rjs2005 Member Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I wasn't a part of this group when this poll was started, but in hindsight, I probably would have given the LX-based Challenger 5 years tops. Although the LX was a relatively new (~3 years) platform when the Challenger was introduced, the tech it was derived from was not- about 20% of the engineering was sourced directly from Mercedes, including the front and rear suspensions, 5AT, stability control, steering systems and other smaller components. Just the fact that MOPAR released the car in the midst of the auto industry meltdown was surprising enough to me.

Whether owners want to admit it or not, the FCA merger has breathed new life into the car- the upgraded interior, revised exterior styling, and of course the insane powertrain options all owe to FCA deciding that Dodge would be the muscle car destination. With Ford and GM deciding that the Camaro and Mustang would become legitimate sports car alternatives, that left Dodge to claim the muscle car realm as it's own- and they have done so with a vengeance.

Still, I don't see the party lasting too many years from this point- cheap gas won't last forever, eventually the market will turn toward a more fuel-efficient future and FCA will have to do the same to remain competitive. Besides that- the US market is hell-bent on becoming SUV/crossover saturated, and passenger cars are the ones taking the brunt of the collateral damage. Look at Chrysler- the only car they offer is the 300, and it's hopelessly outdated. The best thing they offer with a Chrysler nameplate is the Pacifica minivan, and that's generating buzz primarily because of the plug-in hybrid option. Jeeps still kill it because they are totally SUV-centric, with a pickup truck on the horizon. As much as I love my Durango, Dodge cannot sustain itself on smoky burnouts and YEEHAW! horsepower alone- long term. Just like the muscle car era of the 60's, the party will be over before we know it, and those who don't plan for the future will be left in the cold. You can laugh at GM and Ford all you want for developing cars like EcoBoost 4 and 6 cylinder engines and Volts/Bolt EV's, but they have plans for the future- FCA has a plug-in minivan. Time to get with the program.

wvhemis and MarkSRT392 like this.
  2. MarkSRT392

MarkSRT392 New Member Military Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Yellow Jacket
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I just joined last week when i bought my 2017 SRT392. Your above remarks are correct. We are living in the Golden Age (Muscle Car Era II by another name) concerning the Big3 entries in the muscle car segment. Gas prices are creeping back up, government intervention is forthcoming eventually. We might as well enjoy these rolling tributes to American Exceptionalism while we can. I plan on passing on my Challenger to my son and hopefully to my grandchildren. After reading the beginning entries on this thread, I am glad the initial predictions did not come to pass. Nearly 10 years have past on the Challenger being reborn for the Muscle Car enthusiast to revel in the splendor of high horsepower and a g?d given jolt of torque to enjoy. The G?ds of Speed shriek in unison every time we punch the gas. Enjoy the ride!

3. wvhemis

wvhemis Well-Known Member Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    It looks now that we are good to go to at least 2020. I am hoping we go out with a bang and not a wimper. That is what was sad about 1974 when the party ended. 360 Challenger/ Cuda, Duster/Dart 360, Road Runner (GTX) and Charger with the 440. Shaker hoods, spoilers and rear end gear ratios were all gone from the option list.

MarkSRT392 likes this.
  4. MarkSRT392

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Yellow Jacket
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    After 2020, it's anyone's guess. FCA is keeping their cards close to their chest. The head of FCA was/is in a big hurry to merge with a major auto manufacturer, VW and even the Chicoms come to mind. I would not hold out for a Special Edition Barracuda anytime soon either. Get them now while anyone can. I just did.

wvhemis likes this.
  5. wvhemis

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Praying that FF makes an appearance in 19 or 20. If so I will put off my retirement to get a T/A in that color. If not will more than likely look for a deal on a Viper.

6. Shaker 392

Shaker 392 Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Yellow Jacket
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    FCA it appears has had success selling 300s, Chargers, and Challengers. There is still a market for stylish rear wheel drive cars with V8s. With 50% of Challenger sales being V8s, the 345 most popular. FCA should end the year selling almost 60k Challengers. Strong numbers for this segment. With the addition of the GT should only help the brand.
    At the beginning of this thread 9 yrs ago. Members thought the Challenger would last a few years. I'm happy it's lasted alot longer. We will propably see a redisgn in 3yrs. I hope the V8s remain. So with redesign I predict the Challenger nameplate will last another 10yrs.

UP3985, wvhemis and MarkSRT392 like this.
  7. MarkSRT392

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Yellow Jacket
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    i sure do hope you are right.60k units is obviously strong especially since the market is suv/crossover crazy ( I have one for the family vehicle 2015 Tdi Toureg (recently modified due to the VW diesel cock up). I wonder how many Challengers compared to Camaro/Mustang (US only) units sold for MY 2017.

8. wvhemis

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Pray it does get a re-design and the V-8 stays. FCA has the resources to get the HEMI overhead cams, direct injection and so on. While I am in love with the old school pushrod V-8 we need to find a way to keep up with the GM and Ford offerings...

MarkSRT392 likes this.
  9. MarkSRT392

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Yellow Jacket
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto

10. Dodgeguy

Dodgeguy Highway Star Site Supporter Level 1 Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    There have been other polls like this on here. I was dead wrong about the run so I am not going to guess anymore. I just hope it is around long enough to get my Scat Pack or SRT in 2019.

Hajo, wvhemis and MarkSRT392 like this.