Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let’s discuss the damn ELEPHANT in the room!!!

We know about the 6.2L with SUPERCHARGERS in the Demon & HellCat.
We know about the 6.4L (stock motor) and the various POWER Adders: ProChargers, Super Chargers, Turbo’s, Nitrious, and more...
We also know about the 440’s, 426’s and various other Blown & Stroked Crate Motors.

This is an Ongoing discussion my 19 year old “CAR-GUY” son brings to me about boosting up our machine. SMH

Here’s the question:
How much horsepower is too much FOR YOUR CHALLENGER?

I mean seriously!!!
Not to be misconstrued with: Only IF I had the money, or maybe in my next life.

I’m talking about your current Challenger, and where do you draw the line (whether it’s just too much power or not enough money)...

What say you?

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Not sure what you are getting at with the money angle Tony. I suspect that most have as much HP as they can afford buying the highest level Challenger. But if we had unlimited resorses to buy and or build more HP into our Challengers....where would we stop???? If that is your question..,.my answer would be somewhere around 1,000 HP. That is if and only if the car could still be reliable on a cross country trip and use premium gas. Any more power than that simply could not be put to the ground and used without a completely different car in terms of wheel clearance.... suspension....frame regidity...and overall drivetrain major changes.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Tony, this reminds me of the timeless conundrum: Can God create a rock so heavy that even He cannot lift it?
Or which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

Adding horsepower to an existing car translates to the end value of the car and can you recoup that, so actually it is a question answering a question.

The more power you add to a present day car of any kind, the further out of the cars actual resale value you get, learned that the hard way!

Adding power may be a good thing on an older Classic Car that is worth many times over what it cost new in it's day, but literally sucks today, what you add, you'll probably loose and you may as well face that.

Unless you find someone looking for those enhancements as a personal sale, but to a dealership, it is excuse after excuse to either refuse your vehicle, or low ball you to a point of embarrassment with what they will give you for the car.

So if you are going to add horsepower today, you'd best be planning to keep it as long as you possibly can!

But IF, you are going to do it there is no such thing as too much! Ry

·
Premium Member
15,757 Posts
I'm sure to be in the minority but as far as driving enjoyment, my R/T has just the right amount of power for me. Its plenty fast for those times I want to jump on it, especially since installing the Pedal Commander which eliminated that annoying delay. I really don't have a need for more HP.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
25,726 Posts
For me, I think buying what you really want in HP should be done first, then things are a lot less complicated. The Hellcat Redeye seems to be more than enough to kill yourself! LOL!

I know that for me personally the Scat has MORE than enough power considering the driver's age! If I were younger, I would probably lust after a Hellcat. This power is more of a "status" bragging rights thing, than something you can actually use in most places where people live in high traffic areas. However, I do have PLACES where that power could be used without consequence.

91332.jpg

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,050 Posts
I'm sure to be in the minority but as far as driving enjoyment, my R/T has just the right amount of power for me. Its plenty fast for those times I want to jump on it, especially since installing the Pedal Commander which eliminated that annoying delay. I really don't have a need for more HP.
When I bought my R/T in 2013, I rationalized that 372 was more than enough horsepower to get me into all of the trouble I could afford! I paid off my R/T last year and have resisted the idea of upgrading to an SRT or T/A because I can't effectively use the additional 100 horses unless I get into track racing. Other than that, getting myself back into debt to possess a 485 HP powerplant essentially amounts to spending an additional $15k for bragging rights. Would I love to have the bigger Hemi? Sure! Do I need it? No! (and it hurt to write that!)

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
When I bought my R/T in 2013, I rationalized that 372 was more than enough horsepower to get me into all of the trouble I could afford! I paid off my R/T last year and have resisted the idea of upgrading to an SRT or T/A because I can't effectively use the additional 100 horses unless I get into track racing. Other than that, getting myself back into debt to possess a 485 HP powerplant essentially amounts to spending an additional $15k for bragging rights. Would I love to have the bigger Hemi? Sure! Do I need it? No! (and it hurt to write that!)
I have to disagree with the your use of the word "need" John. We need air....we need water...we need food. Pretty much everything else is better defined as "want". No one "needs" more than say about 100 HP. Anything more is want. You do not want anymore HP enough to justify in your mind what you would need to trade to get it.....you too Art....LMAO!!!!

·
Business
19,525 Posts
Remind me the next time I see you to let you drive the Scat. That should just about change your mind! 😁

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hmmmm

I clarify my position in discussing this topic with a 19 year old Car Guy (that will be 20 years old in two weeks)...
He knows I do not Trade my 2 Challengers into Dealerships... I modify for my taste only.
If I wanted 700+ HP I would’ve bought the “Hello-Kitty”.
(IMO) The Scat Pack truly is the Best Buy For The Buck!!! You get close to 500 HP and it’s obtainable if that’s your thing. But, as some of you have said (and I agree); unless you’re putting the car on The Track, there’s not many cities that have clear highways for spirited driving. Example: Inter-State Highway 20 in West Texas the speed limit is 85 miles per hour. 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

In Dallas / Fort Worth where I’ve lived for 20 years; Rush Hour lasts 3 hours in the morning & evening. But, in my small hometown where I grew up (Maybe, you’ve heard of it?) Los Angeles the Rush Hour lasts ALL Dog-Gone DAY!!!!

I have lots of buddies here in DFW that have HellCats & Demons and they’re Not Tracking the cars.

Really...

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Imo....anything over say 120 mph is a waste for me at least. It's not about how fast I can get in top speed but rather the g's pulled getting up to a speed I feel safe doing as conditions permit. When I get to a point where no matter how much rubber I can get on the car I still can not give it a lot of pedal without the rear trying to come around....that is the point where I have as much as I WANT!¡... Lol

·
Business
19,525 Posts
Imo....anything over say 120 mph is a waste for me at least. It's not about how fast I can get in top speed but rather the g's pulled getting up to a speed I feel safe doing as conditions permit. When I get to a point where no matter how much rubber I can get on the car I still can not give it a lot of pedal without the rear trying to come around....that is the point where I have as much as I WANT!¡... Lol
That's the best part of the Scat is letting her step out a bit.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
For me, I think buying what you really want in HP should be done first, then things are a lot less complicated. The Hellcat Redeye seems to be more than enough to kill yourself! LOL!

I know that for me personally the Scat has MORE than enough power considering the driver's age! If I were younger, I would probably lust after a Hellcat. This power is more of a "status" bragging rights thing, than something you can actually use in most places where people live in high traffic areas. However, I do have PLACES where that power could be used without consequence.

View attachment 244998
Well said Betty, but you know you’ll be trading into one soon.ha

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
When i had my Hellcat, i upgraded it to 820 rwhp and it was a nice jump in power.Did i needed it, probably now, but after i had tried that beast, i never wanted to go back to OEM hp numbers. Only bad thing about doing the upgrade is that i could have lost my drivers license so many times, i was lucky but one mistake and you are done for a long period of time. Better keep this for the track but it is so tempting that i just couldn't resist. I guess it is all about what you are ready to spend . Everyone can find what they are looking for in the Challenger lineup as it stands.

·
Premium Member
15,757 Posts
Another thought.
It really comes down to what HP you're comfortable with controlling/driving. Betty made a good point about age. No secret that reflexes slow down as you approach the back nine. If you can't control the acceleration of a car its not much fun to drive it.
At this point, I can still control the acceleration/speed of my R/T which makes it a pleasure and fun to drive. I still get a rush when I floor it and floor it safely to enjoy. Any more and it would defeat the purpose for me, especially living in the most populated state per capita in the US.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,050 Posts
I have to disagree with the your use of the word "need" John. We need air....we need water...we need food. Pretty much everything else is better defined as "want". No one "needs" more than say about 100 HP. Anything more is want. You do not want anymore HP enough to justify in your mind what you would need to trade to get it.....you too Art....LMAO!!!!
I think we're still talking about the same thing, Dan. That's why I wrote Would I love to have the bigger Hemi? Sure! Do I need it? No! When I bought my R/T in 2013, it was the most irresponsible purchase I could have made at that time. I was still heavily mired in credit debt and financing a $36k car didn't help matters. Honestly, that money would have been better spent paying off my debt or socking away in my retirement accounts.

In 2016 I was "gifted" with over $50k in unfounded money when my previous employer decided to pay out our pension funds (I didn't know that I had one). I could have cashed out my pension for $35k after taxes and penalties. I was tempted to trade in my R/T for a Scat Pack. But again, I had to ask myself if it was worth it to splurge that money, or use it to bolster my paper-thin retirement account. It came down again to Would I love to have the bigger Hemi? Sure! Do I need it? No! Hope I made the right decision, but I'm looking forward to not living in my Challenger a few years down the road. :D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts