Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
45,183 Posts
Another thought.
It really comes down to what HP you're comfortable with controlling/driving. Betty made a good point about age. No secret that reflexes slow down as you approach the back nine. If you can't control the acceleration of a car its not much fun to drive it.
At this point, I can still control the acceleration/speed of my R/T which makes it a pleasure and fun to drive. I still get a rush when I floor it and floor it safely to enjoy. Any more and it would defeat the purpose for me, especially living in the most populated state per capita in the US.
Speak for yourself about age and reflexes as far as driving goes.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When i had my Hellcat, i upgraded it to 820 rwhp and it was a nice jump in power.Did i needed it, probably now, but after i had tried that beast, i never wanted to go back to OEM hp numbers. Only bad thing about doing the upgrade is that i could have lost my drivers license so many times, i was lucky but one mistake and you are done for a long period of time. Better keep this for the track but it is so tempting that i just couldn't resist. I guess it is all about what you are ready to spend . Everyone can find what they are looking for in the Challenger lineup as it stands.

Great Call, and members like you are the guys I was trying to attract to this Thread,

Thank You very much for your input.

Enjoy The RIDE...

·
Business
19,525 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
26,572 Posts
Well apparently 305 is not enough seeing as 90% of owners first posts here is how do I get more power. It is a little less with R/T first posts. Less with 392 posts and even less with Hellcat first posts so maybe 700 hp is near the limit.
unless you are Bill....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Back in 2014 was looking for a 392 when I stumbled upon the Limited Edition R/T Shaker. I fell in love with it, and took it home. My aim is to make it mine, with none other like it, and I do believe I've figured that out. To that end I'm attempting to get 800 hp to the wheels after having modded everything necessary to ensure that it doesn't break when I get there.

·
Registered
726 Posts
When I got my SXT, I though 305 HP would be enough and it was...for a couple of years. Then the HP bug bit and the build began. Today I can lay down 501 RWHP which translates to right around 600 crank HP and I still want more even though traction below 40 MPH is becoming a problem.

So I guess for me, it would be how much I could hook up. With the factory rear suspension, probably in the neighborhood of 1000 RWHP. With a bunch of $$$ thrown at it to make it hook up, I would say to double that amount. I think the G forces experienced launching a 2000 HP beast wouldn't get old for a long time!

The odd thing is that as my build progressed and I started making more and more power, I found myself driving more and more sedately on the street. Knowing what I have and what the car can do is strangely satisfying in normal day to day driving. I no longer feel that I have to prove anything to anybody but myself, plus rear tires are expensive.

Now when the track calls, that's an entirely different story.

·
Administrator
45,183 Posts
When I got my SXT, I though 305 HP would be enough and it was...for a couple of years. Then the HP bug bit and the build began. Today I can lay down 501 RWHP which translates to right around 600 crank HP and I still want more even though traction below 40 MPH is becoming a problem.

So I guess for me, it would be how much I could hook up. With the factory rear suspension, probably in the neighborhood of 1000 RWHP. With a bunch of $$$ thrown at it to make it hook up, I would say to double that amount. I think the G forces experienced launching a 2000 HP beast wouldn't get old for a long time!

The odd thing is that as my build progressed and I started making more and more power, I found myself driving more and more sedately on the street. Knowing what I have and what the car can do is strangely satisfying in normal day to day driving. I no longer feel that I have to prove anything to anybody but myself, plus rear tires are expensive.

Now when the track calls, that's an entirely different story.
At least your first post was not "how do I get more power.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,231 Posts
The first opportunity I get... I want to take my Hellcat to Petty... $3500 and they pump it up tp 825 HP.... I am sure over time I will go higher, but that means upgrading other components.... = $$$... I don't see going over 1,000 HP though...

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm perfectly fine at the moment with the numbers my Scat Pack produce, that being said I've always preferred to focus on making the car look unique and sound great over actual performance.
Like maybe a Barracuda paint job...

Plymouth, Barracuda, 1970 color chart - Hot Rod Network

21 - 40 of 73 Posts