Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
More Than Just A Car
20,239 Posts
Great question with so many answers and none are wrong. Folks that want more power can justify it and those that don't need more justify as well. In the end it comes to how you want to drive and where, at the track etc. In the end as long as the car doesn't scare the crap out of you that you don't want to drive it or regret what you did then you have whats right. It's that old saying " with more power comes more responsibility", some people just shouldn't have it and the only reason they do is to impress others but its all talk because they can't handle it (i.e. look at all those Mustang videos out there ) . For me , 90% of the time I don't use all that I have now, so why add more. I would rather throw a few bucks at making what I do have a little better i.e. Pedal Commander and dressing up the car , but that's me and like I said there is no right or wrong answer just bad decisions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most of my life was spent uttering the mantra "There is no such thing as too much horsepower". If I had all the money I spent on the persuit of horsepower, I could probably have bought 2 or 3 Demons. That being said, one lesson I have learned is that there is always someone faster. The only reason for more power is to be faster. The question to ask yourself is do I need to be faster? And at what cost. There is the cost of parts and inevitable damage. And the devaluation of your car with every modification. Now by all means, it is your car and I believe you have a right to modify it any way you may want and I always enjoy seeing what different people have done to their cars. In my case, I have a bone stock 2018 Shaker Hood Scat Pack. Other than some wider back tires (really, 245's from the factory??) she will be left alone. Almost 500 Hp and 23 MPG from the factory. In my day, 500 Hp got you 5 to 8 MPG, no air conditioning and you couldn't hear the stereo. Guess I'm just old...
Ray

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,347 Posts
The question of HP/TQ depends on what you want to do. For going in a straight line lotsa HP/TQ and good tires makes sense . For road courses a thousands HP might help on a long straightaway but not so much in the corners. I'm at 600 RWHP and 550 RWTQ. For the road courses and backwoods lanes I drive, the power I have is sufficient for what I love to do. So the real question is, "What do you want to do and then build accordingly."

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think this thread would generate some different answers isn’t it was titled “How much is ENOUGH HP” vs “TOO MUCH”. I think many would state that “More HP” always equals “More fun” - and that may be true. But it also equals “More Money”. At some point everyone reaches a point where they feel they’ve spent “enough” money on “enough” power. That number is likely different for everyone depending on your driving style and your wallet.

·
Registered
756 Posts
485 HP is all I need! That and this red thermos and 485 HP that's all I need! And this chair, this red thermos and 485 HP, and that's all I need! And a Barton shifter for my M6 Challenger! 485 HP ,this red thermos, chair, a Barton shifter and that's all I need!

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
485 HP is all I need! That and this red thermos and 485 HP that's all I need! And this chair, this red thermos and 485 HP, and that's all I need! And a Barton shifter for my M6 Challenger! 485 HP ,this red thermos, chair, a Barton shifter and that's all I need!

LMAO...!!!
I love it !!!

I'll just add a LITTLE something here (if you don't mind).

All I need is my RED SEAT BELTS, and this Chair...
and
This New HHP Programmed ECU, my Red Seat Belts, and this Chair and that's ALL I need...
and
ALL I need is This Victor II Edelbrock 6.1 Intake Manifold, this New HHP Programmed ECU, my Red Seat Belts, and this Chair and that's ALL I need...
and
This Front & Rear Strut Tower Brace, and this Victor II Edelbrock 6.1 Intake Manifold, this New HHP Programmed ECU, my Red Seat Belts, and this Chair and that's ALL I need.
and
All I need is Stainless Long Tube Headers, Front & Rear Strut Tower Brace, and this Victor II Edelbrock 6.1 Intake Manifold, this New HHP Programmed ECU, my Red Seat Belts, and this Chair and that's ALL I need...

LOL 🤣🙃o_O😆😆

Thank You "UP3985" I needed that laugh. 👍

Enjoy The RIDE...

·
Registered
499 Posts
The power my Scat Pack has is fine, I just wish it had the throttle response my old Trans Am had after all the mods. But maybe my messed up neck would be rebelling against all the snapping that would happen.
Get yourself a Sprint Booster...

·
Registered
499 Posts
I see you've met the mod monkey...

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,050 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Get yourself a Sprint Booster...
I know, but you shouldn't need to spend money for it. The old cars had to be modded for any real power, and you don't need to do that anymore, but I guess there is always some way to make you want to spend money for stuff. Maybe when the warranty is up, and if I keep the car (depends on how it holds up)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
How far are you going? To the end of the fence........

LMAO 🤣

What you said sounds Sooooo- Stupid!!!!
But, it’s soooo TRUE ! 😱

I’m the “OTHER-CRAZY”:
I Chase Rabbits and they don’t run in straight lines... LOL
Auto-Cross & Slaloms for my Big Beast are my drug.🤪🤪😳😳
Driving the Big Beast 1/8 & 1/4 Mile Runs (The End Of The FENCE) as fast as your car can GO requires too much Constant Maintenance . LOL.

My answer to the question I posted is 500 to 600 HP for my Adrenaline Needs.
Really, it is!!!

It is plenty “FOR ME”, and the Scat Pack is “Justy-Fine” for this O.G ( Old-Guy). I live & love every twist & turn on the runs I make, and it beats watching my grass grow and chasing those damn kids off my lawn! LMAO 😂

Enjoy The RIDE...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Let me take it in a different direction. Tony's trying to explain to his son about the the power and responsibility that goes with it. Here's a wonderful guy who has at his disposal machines with great potential to have fun and devastation all at the same time. How does he convey that to his son, who I am very sure, is trying to follow in his father's foot steps? Lead by example.
For myself at 18 it was All about the horsepower and how to get it. My friends were gear heads and I couldn't indulge because of not having the where-with-all. Didn't get my first real high powered car until I joined the Navy. Then came the tickets. Luckily I survived and grew to learn that with power comes responsibility. With my Camaro after the Navy I only ever got one ticket and that really was from a stupid moment of exhilaration on a blind curve with a LEO waiting on the other side.
Now I have my Challenger and it could have been an SRT model but I had to ask myself how much HP is too much?
My choice was the R/T.

·
12,939 Posts
Tony, I would say a lot of it depends on where you live, If I lived in a state where there was a lot of wide open space and empty roads I would a lot more receptive towards pushing the limits in the H.P. department, being that I live in a small state that is extremely overcrowded it's a whole different ball game, even my Supercharged
R/T has way more power than is in the comfort level for around here, The places around here in North N.J. where you can safely stretch your legs are few and far between.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Tony, I would say a lot of it depends on where you live, If I lived in a state where there was a lot of wide open space and empty roads I would a lot more receptive towards pushing the limits in the H.P. department, being that I live in a small state that is extremely overcrowded it's a whole different ball game, even my Supercharged
R/T has way more power than is in the comfort level for around here, The places around here in North N.J. where you can safely stretch your legs are few and far between.

Thank you for that visual description of your State & Region... I will not be complaining about where I live after hearing you. Living in Texas; I cannot imagine running out of Road because the State is Small. LOL

Sorry for laughing. 😆
But, how or where do you go for "EVEN" a little amount of Spirited Driving??? I've only been to the "Right-Coast" 4 times in my life, and I'm unfamiliar with the limitations.
I'm originally from the "Left-Coast" where we have at least 1000 miles long stretch (north & south) with plenty of open highway in the middle of the California.

·
12,939 Posts
Thank you for that visual description of your State & Region... I will not be complaining about where I live after hearing you. Living in Texas; I cannot imagine running out of Road because the State is Small. LOL

Sorry for laughing. 😆
But, how or where do you go for "EVEN" a little amount of Spirited Driving??? I've only been to the "Right-Coast" 4 times in my life, and I'm unfamiliar with the limitations.
I'm originally from the "Left-Coast" where we have at least 1000 miles long stretch (north & south) with plenty of open highway in the middle of the California.
Tony, if you value for license you go to the track, that's what I do, there are a few country roads scattered around but even then going 80 MPH in short bursts is really pushing it especially with all the cops and traffic around on the interstate and main highways.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I know, but you shouldn't need to spend money for it. The old cars had to be modded for any real power, and you don't need to do that anymore, but I guess there is always some way to make you want to spend money for stuff. Maybe when the warranty is up, and if I keep the car (depends on how it holds up)
A Sprint Booster won't void a warranty. I bought mine not to improve the throttle response, but to have the valet mode available in case I need it. I have serious OCD when it comes to the slightest ding on my ride, which means a trip to the body shop...

·
Registered
915 Posts
As long as it has enough to get me down the road I'm good with that. If I was building a pro street or a hot rod I would push it as high as I could go. But then again, I dont own a challenger, my wife does.

·
Registered
756 Posts
LMAO...!!!
I love it !!!

I'll just add a LITTLE something here (if you don't mind).

All I need is my RED SEAT BELTS, and this Chair...
and
This New HHP Programmed ECU, my Red Seat Belts, and this Chair and that's ALL I need...
and
ALL I need is This Victor II Edelbrock 6.1 Intake Manifold, this New HHP Programmed ECU, my Red Seat Belts, and this Chair and that's ALL I need...
and
This Front & Rear Strut Tower Brace, and this Victor II Edelbrock 6.1 Intake Manifold, this New HHP Programmed ECU, my Red Seat Belts, and this Chair and that's ALL I need.
and
All I need is Stainless Long Tube Headers, Front & Rear Strut Tower Brace, and this Victor II Edelbrock 6.1 Intake Manifold, this New HHP Programmed ECU, my Red Seat Belts, and this Chair and that's ALL I need...

LOL 🤣🙃o_O😆😆

Thank You "UP3985" I needed that laugh. 👍

Enjoy The RIDE...
"When I have no more car payments two months from now the list of needs will be getting longer". Says Navin Johnson.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts