Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this will be my second time changing my own oil. First time, went swimmingly. Had an SXT, easiest oil change I've ever done. Today, in my R/T, had a slight disaster. Everything was going fine at first, removed the belly pan, the filter wasn't on insanely tight so I was able to get it off

There it is. But when I managed to get the filter off... it drained probably a liter, maybe slightly more, and stopped. Not even dripping. I was like hmmm... this is odd. The dip stick and oil filler cap were off, so there was no suction being created. I re-inserted the dip stick and sure enough more than half was still in the engine. Called my younger brother, a grease monkey, he gave me some advice. PM'ed a few people here. The problem is I didn't want to crank it to get it down, so I figured maybe just push it off the ramps... but I would have had to start it to get it back in the garage (only level spot, driveway is extremely angled).

Then I thought, well... if there is still over half the oil in the engine I'll crank it super fast, get off the ramps and get back in the garage and let it drain further. So I replaced the dip stick, the oil filler cap...... and not the filter. Halfway through the crank I had a moment and clarity and thought, "My God, what have I done" :shakehead:

Here is the after math

In the 3 seconds it was cranked I blew out the rest of the oil, mostly (thank God) onto my garage floor, but partially under the car on a few bits and pieces. Luckily I have a bazillion cleaning tools so I was able to take care of that. I've got 99% of the floor mess up, fixing to go get some more cleaning supplies and finish that off.

Anyway, I was able to finish changing my oil. No issues. Definitely gonna baby my car for about a week and make sure no issues arise from my temporary lapse of judgement. Anyway, hope somebody learned from my completely moronic moment! :smiledown:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hey, as long as ya didn't seize the engine no harm no foul..at least ya got the oil out the oil out right...main thing is ya learned something today about cars...

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,411 Posts
Dave, I have to admire you for sharing that. I don't know if everyone would have done so. Your experience is probably another good reason why I don't change my oil. I really don't have the proper equipment, I can afford to have it done elsewhere, and don't really want to deal with something like you just had happen. I would probably do something a lot worse! Kitty litter does work good to absorb oil if you have any around. Is it unusual for that situation to happen, where the oil doesn't drain?

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
OK Dave...I read and re-read and am still not "getting" it. Did you have the oil filter AND drain plug removed when you say there was still half the oil left in the engine????:4-dontknow:

·
Dazed & Confused
36,565 Posts
Many moons ago I worked at a Chevrolet dealership. One of the guys had just put a rebuilt engine back in a car and filled it with oil. It was partially up on the lift and he cranked it, he had forgotten to put the filter on and there was a large stream of oil hitting the concrete. Similar mess as yours but was at least clean oil. We all got a good laugh from it.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,600 Posts
OK Dave...I read and re-read and am still not "getting" it. Did you have the oil filter AND drain plug removed when you say there was still half the oil left in the engine????:4-dontknow:
Sounds like he had the oil filter off, unclear about the drain plug.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like he had the oil filter off, unclear about the drain plug.
Correct. The reason I was confused is with the SXT the filter is in the engine, when you get under the car you remove the drain plug. So when I got under the car with the R/T and I removed the filter I forgot about the drain plug because oil was already all over my arms and draining from the filter. Just slipped my mind. Luckily I don't think I did any really damage. Just created a huge mess. Live and learn, and feel like a moron. :smiledown:

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Correct. The reason I was confused is with the SXT the filter is in the engine, when you get under the car you remove the drain plug. So when I got under the car with the R/T and I removed the filter I forgot about the drain plug because oil was already all over my arms and draining from the filter. Just slipped my mind. Luckily I don't think I did any really damage. Just created a huge mess. Live and learn, and feel like a moron. :smiledown:
LMAO....sorry but...LMFAO.:D
I'm repping ya buddy...for admitting that one!!!:hah:

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,600 Posts
Well it could have been worse. You could have forgotten to put the drain plug back in and poured all the new oil onto the floor.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,676 Posts
Coulda been worse. If your SXT heard about it she would be blowing up your phone with non-stop LOL's :D

You might want to consider investing in a Fumoto Qwik Valve to save yourself the mess of oil running down your arms. Although I have no plans to change my own oil in the near future, I still want to get one! :smileup:

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
sorry about the timing Dave...I was driving down the road when I got your message and by the time I could get to a computer to respond, well...here you are with your answers!

good on ya for sharing your experience though! a good lesson for all.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coulda been worse. If your SXT heard about it she would be blowing up your phone with non-stop LOL's :D

You might want to consider investing in a Fumoto Qwik Valve to save yourself the mess of oil running down your arms. Although I have no plans to change my own oil in the near future, I still want to get one! :smileup:
Yea... I was kicking myself for about 30 minutes after it happened. Just non-stop "man that was dumb" moments. But I figured we must all have dumb moments, might as well share one of mine. If it stops just one person from making the same mistake then job accomplished! And I have considered that Fumoto valve, looks like a solid product that will definitely help! Taking the filter off though it's next to impossible to not get oil on your arms. I thought for a moment just taking it next time to get it changed, but I realize where I made my mistake and it's completely avoidable next time. Luckily I only drive about 9,000 miles a year, so it will be a minute before my next oil change.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry about the timing Dave...I was driving down the road when I got your message and by the time I could get to a computer to respond, well...here you are with your answers!

good on ya for sharing your experience though! a good lesson for all.
Oh it's all good. Bad8nti actually shot me a message back about 5 minutes after my "good idea" :thk: and I thought about slapping myself in the face. If only I had more patience.

But it turned out ok. Just gonna watch her for a few days and take it easy! :doh:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,676 Posts
Hey, we all have those moments. Nationwide could make a whole new series of those "We're only human" commercials if they just followed me around for a week.. Good on you for sharing because it will help someone else who read your thread.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
show me someone who says that they have never done something similar and I'll show you someone who is FOS!

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
I imagine many would never tell...but I'm sure most all know of at least one such story from their own past. I would tell you the one that most comes to my mind just to take alittle heat off ya...lol...but then I'm sure some would say the dreaded "hyjacking" word.:D

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
I wanted to reach through the computer and stop you while I was reading that LOL. Sounds like you have things figured out now and this should hopefully inform and maybe prevent a few others from doing the same. :smileup:

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Everybody does something wrong

Good story, thanks for sharing!!

Dont feel bad, its only human to let your mind slip once in a while. If you only know all the stupid things i have done with my own cars over the years. My first "real" car about 30 years ago was a Olds 442 W30 Conv. I did several idiotic things with that car trying to maintain it that i am STILL to embarrassed to share in public :i_redface::i_redface::i_redface:

·
801 RWHP
8,516 Posts
Ooh I got here late. So I'll save th ball busting for next time. Good of you to own up for the next guy. So after draining first via drain plug (cough cough) I use a crappy rag to hold near where the oil will come from what removing the filter. When you drain it first there will be considerably less coming out then. OK one lol. One or two days of Raman noodles to negate the cleaning supplies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts