Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how often you guys/gals replace your key fob batteries? Mine are only 3 years old and they were already getting pretty weak. I replaced the batteries in both key fobs today and noticed I could stand a lot further away to unlock/lock the doors.

Just curious as to what the norm is for this. :4-dontknow:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,475 Posts
Just wondering how often you guys/gals replace your key fob batteries? Mine are only 3 years old and they were already getting pretty weak. I replaced the batteries in both key fobs today and noticed I could stand a lot further away to unlock/lock the doors.

Just curious as to what the norm is for this. :4-dontknow:
Do you still use the fob to lock/unlock? I only carry mine now and use the door button to lock. They "set me straight" on the forum for being an old lady driver still using the fob! I do like the ease of push button start, and not fidling to find the key.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I always use the key fob to unlock/lock the doors. Is that not cool or something? I've never been clued in if it's not haha!

I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol, they were pretty dirty. I'm not sure how the dirt got down in there, but they're nice and clean now with new batteries.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Mine went dead after about 3 yrs. I would say not bad, but one fob was never even used and it went weak then dead.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,744 Posts
Do you still use the fob to lock/unlock? I only carry mine now and use the door button to lock. They "set me straight" on the forum for being an old lady driver still using the fob! I do like the ease of push button start, and not fidling to find the key.
The proximity unlock and lock only started with model year 2011 so some of us still have to use the the fob.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,475 Posts
The proximity unlock and lock only started with model year 2011 so some of us still have to use the the fob.
Thanks for letting me know. I was just an old school girl and didn't want to change, but others on the forum convinced me to do so. They just keep coming up with new ways to change our old habits!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,744 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. I was just an old school girl and didn't want to change, but others on the forum convinced me to do so. They just keep coming up with new ways to change our old habits!
Yeah, our Charger has the proximity locks and I forget once in a while and pull the keys out of my pocket to unlock then I go "doh" don't need to do that.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,475 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me!

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
think mine are original...I know I haven't changed them in the nearly year I have had the car.

my Acura TL is a 2004 and I haven't changed those yet either.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Mine lasted about four years. I replaced them when their signals were getting noticeably weak.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Coming up on three years and both are occasionally reporting low battery, so I guess it's about time to replace the batteries.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I replace our Jeep and Challenger fob batteries once a year and it has eliminated nearly all issues. The Jeep system is particularly sensitive to fob battery voltage and the lock function gets erratic towards the end of 1 year.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it sounds like about 3-4 years is the general maximum life, with some on here making it to 5 years with the same batteries.

I guess I'll just make a mental note to replace them every 2-3 years just so they don't start getting weak on me.

I was noticing before that I would have to push the button harder or more times to get it to work too. And when I pulled the key fob apart I could see why, the contacts were all dirty. Cleaned them with some rubbing alcohol and it's good as new again.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's crazy, you must have gotten some really good batteries!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts