Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing BBK Headers and the MFCE Blastin' Bob's perforated core glasspacks, I found the interior noise problematic at best. I'm too young to go deaf and I like to actually hear the radio.

So I made these custom exhaust tips that extend past the end of the lower valence and get the sound waves out from under the car. The problem with the drone is actually the stock angled exhaust tips!

Don't believe me? Try this... Go out and remove your stock exhaust tips (it's real easy) and take a short ride. That's right.... you can't believe the difference!

Why? Its' because of the angle the stock tips are cut at. They cause an echo under the car. When you take the tips off, the pipe is pointing straight-back and only a little noise gets under the car. You have found it quieter without the tips.
Strange.... ain't it?

Well anyway, my car looked ugly without the tips, so I made a pair of my own in my garage. They have no angle other than horizontal to follow the contour of the lower valence. The bottom is parallel with the top to force the sound directly to the rear and eliminate the echo under the car.

Now that I proved it works, I'm going to weld on a 1/4" stainless rod around the edge of the outlet and radius the corners to take off the edginess. The rest will remain flat-black like it is now.

The pipe flares are easy to make on the 2.5" pipe with a ball peen hammer and a little heat. The clamp will make it a perfect seal when you snug up on the bolt.

See? There is an answer for everything!
-John

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Interesting. I will have to try this and see. Did you make any audio recordings before and after or decibel readings?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I will have to try this and see. Did you make any audio recordings before and after or decibel readings?
No recordings. None Needed! It will take you less than 10 minutes to remove the stock tips and take a short ride. Like I said, the evidence is right there. Roll down your window and listen also. At first, I couldn't believe it myself.:4-dontknow:

-John

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Creative solution to a common problem! If the echo is created by the angle of the stock tips facing down, I wonder what would happen if you turned the stock tips 180 degrees facing up?

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I wonder if the quad tips reduce the interior sound? They're straight back....no angle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts