Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to swap my fuel pump. Problem is I have a full tank of gas and

everything I read says I need less then a quarter. The car is stored so I can't

drive it out. Any suggestions?

Thank you

·
Dazed & Confused
36,571 Posts
May be sloppy but you could pull the fuel pump fuse, crank the car until it won't run anymore to relieve the pressure. Take the line loose at the fuel rail and run a hose to your cans, put the fuse back in and turn on the car. It'll pump it out real quick. I blew 13+ gallons out real quick a couple of years ago when I had a fuel rail lift off of an injector.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought one from local hardware store but with the anti siphon valves it doesn't work. I didn't want to force the hose down the neck and damage anything.

May be sloppy but you could pull the fuel pump fuse, crank the car until it won't run anymore to relieve the pressure. Take the line loose at the fuel rail and run a hose to your cans, put the fuse back in and turn on the car. It'll pump it out real quick. I blew 13+ gallons out real quick a couple of years ago when I had a fuel rail lift off of an injector.
Turn the car on but not start it? Just to engage the pump?

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That will do it. Just cut it on.

Edit: Just remember it's 50 something psi so you'll need to be ready when you do it.
I hooked into the shrader valve on the fuel rail and turned the key on. The pump shut off and wouldn't keep running . I'm thinking I'll run into that again with this
Process?

·
Dazed & Confused
36,571 Posts
Relay may have it killed, engine probably needs to be spinning to keep it engaged. Did not think about that. You may can hook up the siphon pump where the discharge from the tank is and get it emptied.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm going to swap my fuel pump. Problem is I have a full tank of gas and

everything I read says I need less then a quarter. The car is stored so I can't

drive it out. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Easiest way is to run the car till she runs out of gas.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easiest way is to run the car till she runs out of gas.
I'm starting to think you're right. It would run quite awhile I would think. Ugh!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Assuming that your original fuel pump is working properly, the best thing to do is wait until the car is out of storage. Cruise around for a few days. Then install your new pump.

I was curious so I looked up the service procedure. First you remove the fuel pump relay from the PDC. Start the car and let it run till it stalls. Attempt to restart engine until it no longer starts. Turn car off, and reinstall fuel pump relay. With that finished you must disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail. Attach a hose to the fuel line and direct to a suitable storage tank for gas. Then using a Diagnostic scan tool activate the fuel pump and drain till your happy with the level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts