Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to maddog for his help!

BT PCV Catch Can Install – 6.1L:

In your kit you will receive the catch can, two hoses, and a jamb nut. I had a few small hose clamps as well in case I wanted to install them.

Open Your Hood

For you 5.7L folks, remove your engine shroud.

If you have the stock intake, the resonator at the inlet pipe elbow will be in your way. Remove it. Have something handy to plug it with as you may experience clearance problems and you will not be able to reinstall it. It is suggested that you either 1) measure the hole in the intake pipe, or, 2) purchase a cold air intake. I have a Aria CAI. No clearance issues here.

Unlock, unclip and remove the IAT sensor wiring.

Locate your water pump. On the upper left hand corner you will find a stud. It may, or may not, have a bracket, nut and washer affixed to it. Remove them. Keep or discard as you please.

Locate your jamb nut and separate the two halves of the catch can.

Install the jamb nut, loosely, on the stud protruding from the upper left hand corner of the water pump. Thread it all the way back but do not tighten.

Thread the upper half of the catch can onto the stud and turn at least 4 full turns. If you are having trouble clearing your intake inlet tube, remove it from the intake manifold and move it slightly out of your way. Check for clearance after one or two turns until you can reinstall your intake inlet tube. I left approximately ½” of stud thread showing. Tighten the jamb nut up against the catch can mounting tube.

Here’s the final orientation of the can. It works best if it is vertical or no more than 20 degrees of tilt. Install the lower half of your catch can. Remember, the thread is down so you will tighten it counter clockwise! Continue to thread it on until secure. (Note: Heidi’s instructions say to “Screw until secure.” Kinda kinky, eh?)

Remove your stock PCV hose. Remember, this is a 6.1L and the 5.7L hose orientation is different. If you have a 5.7L, you may require some additional PCV hose. It is available at your local NAPA, Advance Auto or Krager’s auto parts store.

Lay out your hoses, measure twice, cut once. Attach your hoses to the PCV fittings on the top and base of the intake manifold.

At the barbed fitting end on the catch can, I used hose clamps to secure the hoses to the can. No hose clamps are really needed at the other ends. The barbed fittings will rotate which makes it easier to route your hoses. I routed mine under the IAT sensor wiring.
Reinstall your IAT sensor wiring, make sure to lock the clip.
5.7 owners secure your intake inlet tube and engine cover.
Put away your tools, you are done!

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
EXCELLENT THREAD...!!! I for one am really glad you joined this forum Snake... You are truly an asset to this community...!!!!

·
Premium Member
19,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dude, I was fortunate enough to buy a new 06 300C SRTand that led to the mod bug and my wife wanting a Charger R/T, so here I am.

·
Premium Member
19,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This would have been in my intake if not for the catch can.
This is after 2k miles. The Billet tech catch can should be one of your first mods.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the 2009 R/T and there is a big black plastic piece coming off the airfilter.So I'am goina wait for my BMC afe stage 2 airfilter before I try this mod.

·
Registered
192 Posts
so...... I'am a looking at the engine 2009 r/t and can't really see where the hoses go.Anyone do this mod on an R/T yet ? If so think you could give is a few pic's ?

H

·
0 Posts
This would have been in my intake if not for the catch can.
This is after 2k miles. The Billet tech catch can should be one of your first mods.

Bigsnake, I must have missed most of this. Is this why I am finding oil laying on the intake? It is collecting in the recesses for the attachment bolts for the intake.

·
Premium Member
19,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a good mod for the money (not expensive) keeps oil out of the intake and gives you peace of mind. I dump my can about every 1k.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
anybody can explain what that mod is required for?,what the catch can function?
Maybe this will help! My good buddy, WrenchJeff posted this up on the Charger side of the house. Trust me, he knows his stuff! :smileup:

The throttle plate is what you are looking at when you take your air intake hose off of the throttle body. When the engine is idling the air is entering the intake manifold past the throttle plate. The throttle plate has a minimum air clearance that allows the air past. If the plate was closed completely and sealed to the throttle body there would be no air entering the engine. No air=no oxygen=no combustion. Make sense?

Some of the air entering the throttle body comes from the crankcase through the intake. With this comes oil vapor and what does oil vapor do? It sticks to whatever it can. Now take molecules entering through the air intake. Some of this ends up stuck to the oil from the oil vapor and is on the throttle plate. Now you`re getting "gunk" building up between the throttle plate and throttle body causing air restriction. If you get enough of this build up the minimum air flow is no longer enough to allow enough air past at an idle for the engine to remain running.

I hope this helps you understand better. In the industry we see this almost daily on all vehicles. It`s a simple process to clean the throttle plate and throttle body IF you are careful. If you get chemicals or water past the throttle plate shaft and it enters the throttle actuator it gets real expensive.

How can you avoid this you may ask? Have you seen Billet Technologies Oil Catch Can? This is the best possible way to slow the build up down that I have seen to date. Buy it folks. It will save you time, money and frustration down the road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
R/T Can install specs

Who other than BMC has done this mod ?
Installed can this afternoon. 20mins (12min struggling pulling the factory hoses).
If you think snake's can pic isn't proof enough, wait till you pull the original rubber.

Shopping list for 09 R/T specific:
***BT directly
BilletTechnology Catch-Can 5.7LHemi (satin, NO-hoses) - $95.00

***AutoZone
65186 Goodyear 15/32"x 40" Crankcase Vent Hose - $3.57
KE6SS Koehler 5/16" to 7/8" Hose Clamp 4pk (2 used on can barbs) - $2.49

Total cost = uh yeah, priceless...

40" will give you enough to run both hoses on the R/T with a about 4" left over. My hoses measured 19.5" and 16", but will vary depending on how far you recess the can on the stud. However, don't trust my measurements and check them on YOUR install.
Engine shroud will still fit, if you prefer it in place.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What's the diference between the catch can for a stock intake set up vs the one for the CAI set up? I still have a factory intake. I still haven't found the CAI that I want. I want to know if you buy the one for the factory set up will you have to buy another when you get a CAI?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts