Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to install Mopar Quad Tips: Many thanks to the Z community for input and advice, and a special acknowledgement to Bob (Foos) for his idea to use torx screws to secure the the Quad tips.

Tools used in this procedure (For reference purposes, all of the tools shown in this guide were purchased from Harbor Freight.)

• Corded Electric Dremel Tool with Cutting disks
  • Corded Electric Drill
  • Self-tapping drill bits (Sizes: 6-32 NC, 8-32 NC, and 10-24 NC)
  • 8 x 1/2 Tamper Resistant Torx Button Head Sheet Metal Screws 18-8 Stainless Steel (T-15) with matching torx driver bit (ordered these online from FMW Fasteners).
  • Socket wrench and 1/2" (13mm) socket
  • Bench Vise
  • Rubber Mallet

The collar clamps securing the OEM tips are spot-welded to the exhaust pipe. The welds will need to be broken before the collar clamps and the OEM tips can be removed. You may want to raise the rear axle of your Challenger to create more working space. Fasten a cutting disk to a Dremel tool and proceed to cut the spot weld (I used setting 5). Wear eye protection as you will be in close quarters with the debris given off by the cutting. Have spare cutting disks available as you will likely need more than one (I went through three)

After you feel that you have sufficiently cut through the spot weld, locate the collar clamp bolt nut fastening the two halves of the clamp together. Use the 1/2" socket to loosen the bolt.

Gently force the open ends of the collar clamp apart, or try rotating the clamp to finish breaking the spot weld. There will be a fair amount of resistance, but the clamp should break free of the weld. If not, you may have to cut a little more with the Dremel. Once the clamp breaks free, remove it from the exhaust pipe and OEM exhaust tip.

Twist the OEM tips off next. There might be a little resistance, but they should come off easily. Save them in the boxes that came with your Quad Tips. Clean the end of the exhaust pipe with a shop rag to remove carbon and soot. I used an engine degreaser to clean up the ends.

Set aside the collar clamps, bolts, and the two barrel nuts (each tip). If you have a magnetic dish, store them there to keep them handy.

Secure the collar clamp in a vise in preparation for drilling the entry holes for torx screws. I drilled two holes on each clamp spaced about 2.5" apart.

Because the outer surface of the collar clamp has a convex surface, I used three different sizes of self-tapping drill bits to drill the entry hole on the clamp. My torx security screws were sized at 8 x 1/2. I used the smallest bit (6-32 NC) to create the starting point in the metal (it's easier to keep the smaller bit in position and not have it travel across the convex surface of the clamp). I then widened the hole with the 8-32 NC bit to create the hole that would match the width of my 8 x 1/2 torx screw. But after some trial and error, I discovered that I had to widen the entry hole with the 10-24 NC bit because the torx screw immobilized halfway through the clamp. In each instance, make sure to drill all the way through before reversing the drill to exit cleanly.

Slip the collar clamp back over the exhaust pipe and then attach the Mopar Quad tip. Use a rubber mallet to firmly tap the tips on to the exhaust pipe. Re-fasten the clamp bolt and barrel nuts, but do not over-tighten. The drilled entry hole should line up just outside of the Quad tip connecting flange (cup). Drilling the entry hole dead center on the clamp accomplished that for me, but it wouldn't hurt to move the hole a little closer to the exhaust pipe.

Using the entry hole on the clamp as your guide, drill a hole into the exhaust pipe, this time using only the 8-32 NC self-tapping bit. Make sure to drill all the way through before reversing the drill to exit cleanly.

Fasten the torx screw with the matching-sized torx driver. Secure firmly but do not over-tighten.

Admire your handiwork. You're done!

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,516 Posts
Moved into Knowledge Base > Exterior Section. Nice Write-up, HM! :rep:

Reactions: shooterjgs

·
Registered
22,663 Posts
Excellent write up. :smileup: I've got some quad tips in the garage right now that I need to get installed so this info should come in handy.

Reactions: shooterjgs

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What is the point of the torx screw?

JFF
Good insurance against movement. :smileup:
And to make sure that no one walks off with your quad tips. Remember, Chrysler spot welded the collar clamps, presumably to discourage theft of the OEM tips. With the spot weld broken, someone could use a socket wrench to loosen the collar clamps and make off with your new $200 quad tips. While it wouldn't be impossible for a thief to secure a torx bit to undo the screws, it's the element of surprise that will discourage theft once the lowlife realizes he can't remove the collar clamp. A torx bit also just one of those tools most people often don't readily have on hand.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never really paid attention to that, but let this photo be your guide.

Looking at my own photos, I may have installed mine backwards. I'll have a look at it tomorrow morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts