Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually ran a forum search, and then an internet search on the best way to remove the OEM (Dodge) center caps from my Heritage wheels. I'm replacing the OEMs with some custom caps and while I would like to save the OEM's, breaking them to get them off is not out of the question.

The most common methods I have found online suggest removing the wheels and pushing out the cap from inside. I removed one wheel yesterday and found that was not so easy. There appears to be a wire retaining ring that secures the caps to the center hub (see my pic below). Does anyone know if I have to remove this ring before I can pop the caps off?

FWIW, another method suggested drilling a hole in the center cap and prying it out with a 90 degree hex wrench.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,516 Posts
I don't think you have to remove the ring, should just pop out.
I think you're right, Joe. I just looked at my "goats heads" in the basement and all of the have the rings still in them. I seem to recollect using a hammer handle to remove them from the inside of the wheel.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
The ring comes off easily with a set of needle nose pliers. Removing the ring does make the removal of the caps easier. Once the ring is removed, tap the center of the cap out from the inside of the wheel. Use something soft to hit it so as not to break the cap. I like putting a small rag on the handle of a screwdriver and then tapping it out with a small hammer.

:wavey:

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
That is a snap ring to hold it in the wheel once it's pressed in. Just tap it from the inside with a rubber mallet and it'll "pop" out.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think you have to remove the ring, should just pop out.
I think you're right, Joe. I just looked at my "goats heads" in the basement and all of the have the rings still in them. I seem to recollect using a hammer handle to remove them from the inside of the wheel.
The ring comes off easily with a set of needle nose pliers. Removing the ring does make the removal of the caps easier. Once the ring is removed, tap the center of the cap out from the inside of the wheel. Use something soft to hit it so as not to break the cap. I like putting a small rag on the handle of a screwdriver and then tapping it out with a small hammer.

:wavey:
Everything I have read, they should just pop out. Maybe use a rubber mallet and tap it from the inside.
That is a snap ring to hold it in the wheel once it's pressed in. Just tap it from the inside with a rubber mallet and it'll "pop" out.
Thanks everyone. I'll give it another try. Stopped off at Harbor Freight and bought a couple of tools that should do the job. I will post with results later this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts