1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good tips.

How to save gas. No battery needed.

November 14 2008

The Bottom Line Saving fuel is easy as you make it, make it easy and save yourself some money!

With gas prices constantly rising, most people, very soon, if not now are going to have to pay great attention to the way they drive and maintain their vehicles in-order to save on fuel costs. If you don't have the money, nor have the desire for a new hybrid vehicle, or a new small economy car, there are many steps you can take to achieve better fuel economy no matter what kind of vehicle you own. Although EPA ratings can be as low as 20 MPG while freeway driving for certain vehicles, maintaining your vehicle, driving with an open mind, and most importantly with common sense can increase your fuel economy by over 10-20%

KEEP YOUR VEHICLE TUNED UP! Faulty or worn spark plugs & wires, corroded distributors, clogged air filters & PCV filters, incorrect timing, leaking vacuum lines, all can rob your vehicle of fuel economy, and have an adverse affect on your vehicles performance.

AERODYNAMICS AND WEIGHT: If you don't use your roof rack, take it off, they increase drag, which decreases fuel economy. Also you might want to reconsider those (I know its a patriotic thing to do, especially in a time like this, but..) big American flags flying your antennas, use an American flag sticker instead. If you own a truck keep your tailgate down or off if you are not using it. Tread lightly! Don't use your trunk as a storage bin, and keep the inside of your car clean. Added weight in your car not only decreases fuel economy, it also affects the performance of your vehicle.

CHECK YOUR TIRES: Make sure you tires are properly inflated. Riding with low tire pressure can not only cost you MPG, it can also pose a hazard to your health. Low tires are more susceptible to 'blow-outs.' Also make sure your vehicle is properly aligned, If your vehicle pulls hard to one side, or you feel vibrations in the steering wheel, it's a possibility that the alignment is off, which will adversely affect fuel economy.

BUY GAS IN THE MORNING:
During these hot summer months, buy your gas in the morning or late at night. Why? Even though fuel station tanks are underground, the summer heat expands the gasoline in them. If you buy your gas in the heat of the day you'll spend more money for less gas.

KEEP YOUR COOL: A vehicle that runs too hot will not only cause premature engine/transmission wear, it will also affect fuel economy. Make sure your engine fan works, and get a cooling system flush/check every 40,000 miles.

USE A MULTI GRADE OIL:
Using a multi grade, fuel saving oil, whether it be synthetic or conventional, can save you a bundle on gas and on engine repair. Most light trucks, minivans, and passenger cars will only need a grade of 5W-30. Valvoline 'max life' claims their product will increase fuel economy, and has proved to be true in my experience. I do recommend Mobile 1 full synthetic as well.

AFTER MARKET PARTS: Some products such as a K&N air filters and exhaust systems, i.e Flow master can increase your fuel economy, while adding performance at the same time. Ask your dealer or local parts store about these sorts of products.

SLOW DOWN! Even though the speed limit says 75 mph, it doesn't mean you 'have' to travel at that speed. Driving 65 vs 75 MPH will save you a bundle of cash in fuel costs, and on long road trips will save you trips to the pump so you will probably get there faster driving slower. (A song by the 'Beach Boys' comes to mind.)

SAVE THE RACES FOR THE RACE TRACK:

When you are at a stop light, don't assume the person beside you wants to race, and if they do, who cares? Accelerating smoothly instead of flooring the gas pedal will increase the amount of miles you get per tank tremendously, especially if you do a lot of in-town driving. If you have a manual transmission try to keep engine RPM below 3,000 when shifting, an automatic should shift (under normal acceleration) before the engine reaches 3,000 RPM (depending of course on the kind of car you drive). Also don't accelerate to a stop light; if you see that a light is going to turn red, or has turned red, coast to the light instead.

OTHER FUEL SAVING DRIVING TIPS: If you are in the slow lane on the freeway, and you are coming upon another car in the same lane, don't keep accelerating tell you are on the other car's bumper and then hit your brakes. Instead give yourself enough room and time to move over into the other lane to pass. Engine RPM does not always equal increased fuel (although most of the time it does). For example, if you are going up a hill in 5th gear and are flooring the gas pedal just to maintain a 50 MPH speed, it would save you more gas if you down-shifted into 4th (even though the RPM of the engine would rise). The down-shift into 4th would enable you to get up the hill quicker and without having to floor the accelerator pedal. Idling: If you are waiting for someone, don't let your car idle for more than 10 minutes, turn your car off and wait, most cars don't use very much fuel while idling, but it's a good idea just to turn your car off.

LAST NOTE: Don't forget to put your gas cap back on when re-fueling!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Big Snake, I agree with all of your suggestions except one....the tailgate. There was an episode of "Mythbusters" on the Discovery channel, and they did an experiment to determine if keeping the tailgate up used more fuel as opposed to letting it down or removing it. They as did I believe that the tailgate acted as a sort of speed brake, but after they did some wind tunnel testing they determined that an empty bed with a closed tailgate creates a high pressure bubble in the bed allowing the air to flow smoothly over the tailgate. Who knew? :4-dontknow:

·
Politically correct.
11,112 Posts
Big Snake, I agree with all of your suggestions except one....the tailgate. There was an episode of "Mythbusters" on the Discovery channel, and they did an experiment to determine if keeping the tailgate up used more fuel as opposed to letting it down or removing it. They as did I believe that the tailgate acted as a sort of speed brake, but after they did some wind tunnel testing they determined that an empty bed with a closed tailgate creates a high pressure bubble in the bed allowing the air to flow smoothly over the tailgate. Who knew? :4-dontknow:

Yep! I've seen that episode. I was amazed. I had a p-u truck then too. :smileup:

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
I like your post. In regards to the stop light/racing off the line, I would have to say that when they see me, they want to race and it is usually imports that do that. I will not race off the line and I am getting close to 25 MPG on the streets now. This Friday, I get to take her on a 156 miles trip to Tampa. I plan on setting the cruise control on 72 and let the car save gas that way. I will post my results when i return on Monday.

Dave

·
Registered
22,229 Posts
I can't seem to take a trip without getting on it occasionally and as a result I've yet to get over 19 mpg when I checked it. I've pretty much quit checking it LOL. Compared to the 7 to 10 mpg I used to get with may 340 Dart I feel like it's an economy car anyway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Stay away from ethanol blends, non blended fuels will give you greater return on your investment. Also do not over octane your engine, as long as the engine can run on the lesser octane you will get more mileage from the lesser octane as it runs hotter producing more power (to an extent) during normal driving.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
How to save gas - don’t drive a Challenger!

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,358 Posts
My wife fills up once a week and 90% of her driving is 8 miles round trip to work. She came home the other day all excited that she got the car up to 130mph. She said " I didn't even have it pinned to the floor, bad ass, right?" I've learned to never disagree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts