Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so my Challenger is due for a few things.

1) Change rear differential fluid.
2) Change automatic transmission filter and fluid.

Can someone put me to some youtube video or a few step by step with a few pics I want to do it myself...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
22 Posts
The procedures are simple enough that i don't think you'll need a video demonstration.
First part, get your fluids and parts. Check your owners manual for specific fluid needs. Get OEM fluids and Transmission filter and o-ring.

Put your vehicle on jack stands, and keep it level to get the correct fluid levels. If the vehicle is unlevel you will not get accurate fluid fills. The rear diff is dead simple. There are two HEX drive plugs on the side and bottom of the diff housing. The upper plug is the fill hole and the bottom is the drain. Remove both plugs and allow it to drain. Check fluid for bits of metal. You dont want to find bits of metal of course. Install the drain plug (37ftlbs). Fill with the correct fluid to the bottom of the fill hole. Install fill plug (37ftlbs).

The transmission is a bit more fuss. Remove the plastic twist plug from transmission fill/test tube near the back of the engine cover. BTW you need a special dip stick tool to read the fluid level. Miller tools sells em for $$ mine was $60 (can). Then you remove all of the nuts and bolts holding the oil pan on. Gently pry pan off being careful not to damage reusable pan gasket. Spill all the fluid into a catch tray. Now remove the filter you'll see hanging from the bottom of the hydraulic contol unit. Replace filter and o-ring. Installl clean pan and gasket. tighten nuts and bolts to 70 INCH/lbs. You will need about 5 quarts of fluid. Fill with funnel through the fill/test tube in the engine bay. Start the car and slowly work the gear selector through all the gears, neutral, reverse... etc. With the car idling in PARK use special dipstick to measure fluid level. You should read 30mm cold (70F). The fluid level varies a lot depending what temperature the fluid is. at 200F you should read 80mm.

You should also consider getting it done by a good shop if you know one. Its no too expensive for the services and they deal with the mess. You wont need to run around finding parts and disposing toxic fluids properly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, and I would look for a good shop here in Shreveport but I there isn't any that I know of and all the dealings I've had was a bunch of people that don't give two shits about your car.... Example brought my other car in to the dealership for a reg oil change cause its free and get the car back with black hand prints all over the hood of my car, white car might I add so it was very noticeable...told the manager that who ever did the oil change was a moron and shouldn't be working there, she said let me get him so he can clean it, I refused to have him come anywhere near my car, and told her its a good thing that it wasn't my challenger...Oh and 2 out of the 3 X Landers dodge did my oil change in the challenger the bolt came loose and I was loosing oil and would notice because you could smell burnt oil that was hitting exhaust....this is the stuff I've been dealing with, I could write a book on all the bad experience I've had with shops around here...

·
Registered
22 Posts
When it comes to poor service, I feel your pain. That is more than half the reason I got into automotive service as a career path. If I want something done right, its seems I almost always have to do it myself. It's a shame how often the new wannabe techs fail to appreciate the vehicles they service. Too many of these little brats have little to no respect for customer cars. I have too many experiences with kids I have to train that just don't listen or care. I don't care if its a $150,000 Viper or a Jeep Compass that has been beaten to shit. Both cars deserve equal attention to detail and proper care.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts