Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sad:hey guys, having a bad day my baby was running fine yesterday no problems everything was good and suddenly today I turned her on and I get this loud humming noise right away from front of engine and it doesn't go away.I checked it out and the constant humming seems to b coming from the alternator or close to it. so I went on line to see what I could find out and not much:/ found that maybe the alternator or maybe one of the pullyes. well just right know i was driving back home and the red warning light came on, the battery or Charging system light.so now I got the humming and the battery light on.I'm not a mechanic but try to sometimes.lol.and right now I just don't have the money to take her in to b looked at.if someone experienced this or can help me move to the right direction I would b very grateful.I'm just glad I have tomorrow off so I can try to fix her.again I would really appreciate ur guys help.
2011 challenger Se 3.6L
stock except for Airaid intake
67,000 miles(which have been all mine=D)
constant humming noise as soon as I turn her on and charging system light on

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,500 Posts
Symptoms sound like the alternator is gone? First, check your serpentine belt and make sure it's tight. Go to an Advance Auto, tell them the symptoms,and ask them to run a charging systems diagnostic. This system tests the alternator, The starter and the battery. It's a free service. I run these tests every day at our Advance.

You may also call your dealer to see if the alternator is warrantied at 67K.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Symptoms sound like the alternator is gone? First, check your serpentine belt and make sure it's tight. Go to an Advance Auto, tell them the symptoms,and ask them to run a charging systems diagnostic. This system tests the alternator, The starter and the battery. It's a free service. I run these tests every day at our Advance.

You may also call your dealer to see if the alternator is warrantied at 67K.
Thanks a lot for ur advice, the belt feels tight so tomorrow will take her in for a diagnostic and hopefully its that so I can just go ahed and fix her. Not sure about alternator and warranty but ill call and ask anyways. Thank u so much for ur help:-D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so its confirmed.bad alternator looking at around 600 bucks for them to replace it but the part is a special order which would take 5 to 7 days. they tryd calling the dealership and the parts dept is close today = ( I wanted to replace it my self but I know the part is probably more expensive at the dealership. all I can do now is wait till tomorrow and see what happens. how safe is it to drive my car right now? just a couple miles

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,500 Posts
If you run on a bad alternator, it can also damage your battery. Best to not run it till its fixed. Couple miles shouldn't hurt, but no more.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Try running a search in Google. I'm seeing alternators running for $450+ for your SE.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank god everything is close by where I live. I'll call dealership tomorrow morning to see how much, I know its going to be more expensive but the fastest. she's the only ride I got so I need to fix her ASAP..I'm crossing my fingers that its not more then 600 bucks and well I'm going to try and do it my self, shouldn't b too difficult

·
Registered
945 Posts
Very easy to do pretty basic really.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I've never changed one but seen my dad replace several alternators on his cars so I think I should b OK..I hope I can get it all fixed tomorrow after work but who knows = \ if I get the part tomorrow its getting done tomorrow

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i just called my local dealership thinking it would b the fastest way to fix my baby.well it turns out thats not happening:sad:they told me theirs a nationwide back order for my alternator.so know i guess i just have to order it from somewhere else and wait a week to get it. this blows:shakehead:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i spent some time looking for an alternator on line and the cheapest one i found was around $400 and i would have to wait 5-7 days to get it.cant wait that long so started calling looking for a used one and found one with 10,000 miles on it for only $75:smileup:im going to pick it up tomorrow and install it and hopefully my baby will b back on the road tomorrow:D

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,500 Posts
so i spent some time looking for an alternator on line and the cheapest one i found was around $400 and i would have to wait 5-7 days to get it.cant wait that long so started calling looking for a used one and found one with 10,000 miles on it for only $75:smileup:im going to pick it up tomorrow and install it and hopefully my baby will b back on the road tomorrow:D
Good Luck! Just to save you some heartaches down the road, you may want to check the condition of your belts, idler pulleys and idler tension assembly to make sure they are in good shape. Now would be an excellent time to change them if they need it while you are changing out the alternator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts