Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of our six speeders who have installed the Hurst comp + 2. Im looking for any tips or experience. I watched the Speedys Garage vid. I got the bolt in at the bottom of the shifter. Managed the driver side pin. Was extremely tight going in. The passenger side is another story cannot get it started. I can only get two fingers on it so i cant get any pressure. Any experience like this? If so any tool help or advice? Thanx in advance.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
Try a little Emory cloth and polish the pin up a little. WD-40 should help too. I had no problem with either pin.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I had the same problem as you, when I installed mine a couple months ago. I jacked up the front end of your car. Got underneath and found out it was alot easier inserting the passenger side pin from there.

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my situation was not real good to jack it up and get under. after work today got back to it. I stopped at Home Depot and bought a paint can opener that looks like a mini flat crow bar. and was able to put the prying end over the pin head and just pull it in. little WD-40 and got her.
Shifter feels amazing. Absolutely incredible although I was only able to test for about ten minutes tonight. There is more noise coming through though. But my normal radio should pretty much drown that out. Its actually just a different sound so just not used to it yet. it really isn't too bad. very solid shifting though. I love it so far.

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Bad Gramps,
Thanks. Yeah i think it SHOULD have come that way.

Whats up Slumz? I only had time to drive it for like ten minutes after install. I thought it felt really tight. Solid. I really like the feel so far. As far as fifth gear goes im not sure as i wasnt in it much. If it doesnt rain tomorrow night i should be able to run her for a bit and get a better test on it. Ill pm you after.

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Along those lines I gotta figure out about getting that grill insert out and paint it or order a black one. Then limo tint the windows. And change out my lugs to the black gorilla locking lugs that have been sitting on my kitchen table. LOL. That should about do it.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Thanks. Along those lines I gotta figure out about getting that grill insert out and paint it or order a black one. Then limo tint the windows. And change out my lugs to the black gorilla locking lugs that have been sitting on my kitchen table. LOL. That should about do it.
OK Brother I will go along with you on the "That should about do it." but I am thinking the "mod bug" has infected you, LOL! I know this excludes the SC on order, LOL! :hah:

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol. I think im infested. And dropping her off tomorrow for the SC install.

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey hammer we talk a while ago about it do you got play in gear espesally in 5th
I didn't forget about you Slumz. I haven't had a chance to run her. Been raining here. But rain or shine she is going to Delaware tomorrow. So will run her through some more comfort tests and ill post back up here by tomorrow night if not earlier.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used the plastic tool that is made for prying interior pieces, it bent like hell BUT it eventually gave me enough leverage to get it in.

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may have posted this already. I bought a paint can opener. It really a small flat crow bar. One end urns over like the plastic bezel tool but it's steel. Long enough to slip the 9 degree bent end behind the pin with enough handle to pull on.

S

·
0 Posts
If I remember correctly I used hemostats to hold it to get it started. Don't forget to use the original rear bushing so you don't pick up noise.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
i know this is an old post and most of you have probably either done this, don't care or might not even have it anymore, but i replaced the back bolt/bushing that comes with the hurst shifter with the stock 1. the stock 1 is softer and and therefor doesn't transfer as much noise or vibration up the stick. Just a little FYI in case anyone was wandering.

**and i just noticed the last comment said exactly that! lol**

1 - 18 of 18 Posts