Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the hurst short throw shifter saturday. I couldn't wait to install it, but ended up being disappointed. Instructions were good and everything came apart easy. But when I went to install the pins in the front forks, they wouldn't fit. I tried for hours trying to get them in, but it was no use. They easily came out of the stock shifter easily. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought this too, but after another hour and a buddies help wiggling the part while I cut my hands up shoving pins hard, they eventually barely and tightly squeezed in. The stock ones are very loose compared to the hurst ones, dont give up they are super tight and hard. A friend to wiggle it around helps ALOT!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the bushings in mine are crazy tight. Did you jack your car up to install them? I read on a different forum where they sent it back and got a new shifter. He said the new shifter he got was a lot easier to install. Hurst replied that there was a change in the bushings.

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
I have a Hurst Shifter on order and so haven't done the installation yet but I have read a lot and reviewed a handful of videos. The pins you mentioned appear to be the toughest part of the job and some recommend installing them from underneath the car and getting them from the top is a challenge. Here is a link that goes through the process and it is three videos. I hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Inti5u1gg0

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
Same exact issue here, cut up hands and all.... I oiled up the pins and on the driver side used a wrench to force it in... on the passenger side I used the hook tool I bought to do the job to grip the head of the pin and pulled it as to force the pin back in... this all took me about an hour to do.... sucked....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ya after I put mine in from the top and was bleeding I read to lift it, from underneath it would be easier to push them in and get leverage, don't give up! Oh ya the bad side is, as I'm sure you've read, it gets way loud! I suggest buying LOTS of Dynomat and just get excessive AND swap trans fluid to RP, REDLINE, ETC. That will make you the most happy if you do it at once. I didn't and couldn't stand the trans noise until I did the full package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to attempt the job again sometime soon ( kids keep me busy lol). Benparker 1968 i read somewhere if you use the factory rear isolator it doesn't make much more noise than the factory shifter.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
This may sound weird, BUT--- If these pins are metal, place them in the freezer overnight, then quickly install them while wearing gloves. I know, I always feel weird when I wear gloves, hopefully no one will see you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried everyones solution and still failed getting the pins in. So I had to get out the dremel and show the bushings who is the boss. I finally got it on. I love the way it shifts and looks. Thanks for everyones help.

·
5,522 Posts
Glad you kicked its a$$..... :)

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
I tried everyones solution and still failed getting the pins in. So I had to get out the dremel and show the bushings who is the boss. I finally got it on. I love the way it shifts and looks. Thanks for everyones help.
Good job getting the pins to cooperate! Good to know the Hurst shifter was a noticeable improvement over the stock shifter. Are you experiencing any noise or rattling?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just installed mine today, what a bitch it was! I had a hard time like everyone else getting the pins back in. I used WD40 and sprayed the pins then eventually got them in after some time, elbow grease and blood. I am however experiencing a lot of noise, which I anticipated but didnt believe it would be this loud. Is it possible I did something wrong? Or is that just what to expect? From what I've read thus far, change the trans fluid and use the stock rear bushing along with a lot of dynomat.

·
5,522 Posts
I went back in and swapped the rear bushing for the factory one, and a little dynamat..... WAY quieter and a LOT less vibration... I am very happy now. Still a little notchy, but I will swap the tranny fluid out and see how that goes...

Reactions: challengerfan56

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
I went back in and swapped the rear bushing for the factory one, and a little dynamat..... WAY quieter and a LOT less vibration... I am very happy now. Still a little notchy, but I will swap the tranny fluid out and see how that goes...
Alright and good to hear it became quieter! Thanks for the reply and the information! Reps to you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just installed mine today, what a bitch it was! I had a hard time like everyone else getting the pins back in. I used WD40 and sprayed the pins then eventually got them in after some time, elbow grease and blood. I am however experiencing a lot of noise, which I anticipated but didnt believe it would be this loud. Is it possible I did something wrong? Or is that just what to expect? From what I've read thus far, change the trans fluid and use the stock rear bushing along with a lot of dynomat.
Mine didn't make noise at first. It does now, but its not loud at all. Eventually I'm going to change out the trans fluid and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.