Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After much self-debate over doing a 5.7L to 6.4L cam change or not, I have decided to move forward with the project. I will be doing all the work myself. I have changed the cam on my 2010 Ram 1500 (to a Spartan Eagle) and found it to be fairly straight forward and in fact it was easy. BUT… I was able to stand under the hood in front of the engine once the radiator and condenser were removed. This will not be possible on the Challenger (obviously).

As I look at the engine in the Challenger and contemplate all the work involved, the only thing scaring the crap out of me is all the stuff packed in front of the engine such as radiator and condenser. Once the radiator and condenser are removed, is there enough space to get the cam out or do I have to remove the nose from the car? Also, how do I remove the top plastic cover that is under the hood tween the noze and the top radiator support?

If anyone has any insight, tips or info they want to share on how to do this cam change I would greatly appreciate it. My car is a 2013 R/T 6 spd with the STP and a 3.92 gear.

Parts I have stashed so far for the project:

1) BBK Shorty Headers (I need to utilize the factory cats)

2) OEM 6.4L cam for a 6 spd car

3) Fastman Throttle Body

4) InTune DCX

5) Catch Can

6) K&N Filter for stock air box

Valve springs, pushrods, and spring removal tool are to be purchased soon.

Thanks in advance.

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Thanks for the pics!! PM me on the valve spring tool. I am interested.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Subbed. Contemplating this project this winter

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
I have a Valve Spring Tool I will Sell you.

Pics from my Install.

VERY nice professional job there!!!! One question though if you don't mind. I'm not seeing the cam phaser that I'm used to on the front of your new cam...did you do something different...or am I just not seeing right???

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey 345_CHLNGR how hard was it to install the shorty headers? Got any tips?

Also, did you use the Manley isolators with your springs? If so did they just drop into the spring pockets? http://www.challengerforumz.com/member.php?u=18354
With the front off the car you can get to the bolts easier. Removing the Heads makes the job the easiest. Really just a PITA all the way around.

I used the Manley isolators and they just drop into the pockets. There also is intake and exhaust shims that will need to be used. All my parts came from Arrington.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
VERY nice professional job there!!!! One question though if you don't mind. I'm not seeing the cam phaser that I'm used to on the front of your new cam...did you do something different...or am I just not seeing right???
It's not needed.

Reactions: friendoffur

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the front off the car you can get to the bolts easier. Removing the Heads makes the job the easiest. Really just a PITA all the way around.

I used the Manley isolators and they just drop into the pockets. There also is intake and exhaust shims that will need to be used. All my parts came from Arrington.
Cool, thanks. I don't want to remove the heads so I will try it with the front of the car off and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
It's not needed.
It can be deleted????...WOW...That leaves me with a bunch more questions...which is probably why he didn't answer me. If this can....is being done....there are alot of possibility's that come to mind has far has cam selections and timing chain set-ups!!! I'm assuming this means living with a constantly on CEL.

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It can be deleted????...WOW...That leaves me with a bunch more questions...which is probably why he didn't answer me. If this can....is being done....there are alot of possibility's that come to mind has far has cam selections and timing chain set-ups!!! I'm assuming this means living with a constantly on CEL.
I am not for sure, but I think he meant its not needed for running the 6.4L cam.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I am not for sure, but I think he meant its not needed for running the 6.4L cam.
Yeah - I'd like to hear a clarification on this one... I thought the VVTs were interference style cam and valve / piston configs, which means a cam phaser should be needed. Obviously there is more to it than meets the eye...

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah - I'd like to hear a clarification on this one... I thought the VVTs were interference style cam and valve / piston configs, which means a cam phaser should be needed. Obviously there is more to it than meets the eye...
I have spoken to several people who have done the 6.4L cam swap including Arrington and they all stated that the phase limiters are not needed with this cam. I didn't use one when I did my spartan eagle cam either. I think it just depends on the cam grind.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
I have spoken to several people who have done the 6.4L cam swap including Arrington and they all stated that the phase limiters are not needed with this cam. I didn't use one when I did my spartan eagle cam either. I think it just depends on the cam grind.
This is my understanding also. The 5.7 and the 6.4 come with the VVT and I'm guessing that shutting down the hydraulic pressure to the cam phaser is just a matter of plugging off the oil supply to it. The electrical side of this is beyond my understanding though has I'm assuming that the oil control valve getting its signals from the PCM and not being able to control the phaser has normal would light a CEL.....why else would we need phase limiters if we could just take that phaser off the front of the cam and block off the oil going to it??? The phaser only retards the cam...never advances it in certain preprogramed circumstances and I would think that being able to keep this from ever happening would give more leeway in cam choices without encountering the dreaded interference problems with the piston top and valves.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,555 Posts
This is my understanding also. The 5.7 and the 6.4 come with the VVT and I'm guessing that shutting down the hydraulic pressure to the cam phaser is just a matter of plugging off the oil supply to it. The electrical side of this is beyond my understanding though has I'm assuming that the oil control valve getting its signals from the PCM and not being able to control the phaser has normal would light a CEL.....why else would we need phase limiters if we could just take that phaser off the front of the cam and block off the oil going to it??? The phaser only retards the cam...never advances it in certain preprogramed circumstances and I would think that being able to keep this from ever happening would give more leeway in cam choices without encountering the dreaded interference problems with the piston top and valves.
I am lost with this as well, I think I remember people not using the phasers before but I have no idea how that works.

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I ordered the valve spring kit from HHP as well as Comp push rods. They should be here in the middle of next week. I also contacted the local body shop about removing the nose. They said it would be around $100-$150. The dealership quoted me $800 to install the headers... I may have them do it but I will price this job out to several places first and weigh them out for the best price/craftsmanship etc.

Still looking at Oct for the cam change and Nov for tuning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The mix up here is the cam phaser is the top or cam timing chain gear, the phaser limiter is a spacer you put in the phaser to limit the amount of cam timing that can be pulled out. As williams r/t said you don't need the phase limiter, the 6.4 cam will run in side the factory limits and will make more power without the phase limiter. I found the headers were not that bad, do headers on some of the big block cars of the 60's and 70's namely 390 or 428 mustangs any pontiac a 426 hemi in a Dart. the Challenger R/T is easy, after you put the cam in before you put the alternator and air condisioner compressor back on jack up one side of the engine at a time pull the motor mount and unbolt the manifold then bolt up the header and motor mount move to other side and do same thing. This will give you the most room for getting to all the bolts.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts