Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It starts when I bought my 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T and took it in for the first oil change, we had paid extra for the full synthetic oil change, and discovered from the paperwork receipt they had put semi-synthetic oil in it. According to them that is what they put in the cars, so why sell me a full synthetic package if you have zero intentions of honoring it. We have that in writing but I am not a suing person and that's what it would have took to get it honored. That dealership was North Charleston, South Carolina, CJDR, trust for them is completely gone, I change my own oil now, I would not let them put air in my tires.

My wife was going to trade in her 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT for a 2019 Dodge Charger SXT, we were at Efird CJDR in Florence, South Carolina, and caught them in a flat out lie regarding getting a plus model of the color she wanted locally. The lie was that they wanted us to buy the car sight unseen as it was on another lot and would have to be shipped to them and it could not be shipped to them unless we bought it first??? Well were is it located we can drive there and take a look at it, No, that's not possible as we don't know the exact location??? What? They were stupid enough in their lying deception to hand me the exact car specs, which had the Vin# on the sheet. I ran the Vin# and found the car on the lot at the CJDR in Sumter, South Carolina, we not only went to Sumter but bought the car from them, and trust for Efird of Florence, was totally gone. (By the way we did not have much trust for Efird of Florence as they have an established reputation of the worse service department in the state and that was common local knowledge,)

We bought the 2019 Charger SXT and bought the oil change package but their package required paying extra for the full synthetic, well we were OK with that since we knew what we were facing, 1st oil change no problem paid extra for the full synthetic and got it. Today however CJDR of Sumter, SC, is under new ownership that has zero intentions of honoring past ownership commitments that are even in writing? What the heck is going on?

Ry

·
Mr. Bill
2009 SRT8
4,217 Posts
Can't give you a like on that post at all RyzRT. Sorry to hear about your experience. Sad truth of the matter is that Dealer Stealerships are not to be trusted. Don't care if it is a Ford/Chevy/Toyota/Honda/or anything else. They are all there to take your money one way or another.:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't give you a like on that post at all RyzRT. Sorry to hear about your experience. Sad truth of the matter is that Dealer Stealerships are not to be trusted. Don't care if it is a Ford/Chevy/Toyota/Honda/or anything else. They are all there to take your money one way or another.:mad:
You are exactly right and to be clear, I am not dissatisfied with either of the Dodges we own, just those lying jerks we have to deal with.

I removed saying I would never buy another Dodge after thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I understand there are some unscrupulous dealerships out there. For it's all about a tidy profit but perhaps if they had enough complaints from loyal customers, that Stellantis would investigate them and ask questions. Personally I can't say enough about Tacoma Dodge where I bought my ride and a GC for the wife...square shooters as they say...don't give up on Dodge vehicles but simply go to another dealership.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,918 Posts
I understand there are some unscrupulous dealerships out there. For it's all about a tidy profit but perhaps if they had enough complaints from loyal customers, that Stellantis would investigate them and ask questions. Personally I can't say enough about Tacoma Dodge where I bought my ride and a GC for the wife...square shooters as they say...don't give up on Dodge vehicles but simply go to another dealership.
After reading all this, it is hard to imagine what these dealerships think. I am hopeful that MOST people aren't that stupid and it will eventually catch up with them. I have had a great relationship with my dealership, and wouldn't consider going anywhere else. They have done things for me that I never expected! Gave me new tires when the salesman (he fessed up to it) made a mistake when ordering my first Scat and put summer tires on it. He felt really bad, and they made it right. A year later when there was a recall on the shifter, he loaned me a NEW Ram to drive! Had it for over a week! That was fun! Then when I traded the Scat, they ceramic coated it and put it on the showroom floor! Almost wanted to buy it back!

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
124 Posts
A high school buddy had a 2014 R/T. Took it to the local dealer for a warranty heater core replacement. The mechanics were caught taking his car down the highway at over 120mph. However, the dealer I go to, the next closest Dodge dealer, has always been good to us and has had a good shop, at least that's how it was the last time I had to take a car in for service. It really depends. Most dealers around me have a poor reputation, and many people will travel a few hours to Kansas City for better and more reputable service, regardless if it is a better deal. Often, it's up to who's managing the place. A good GM dealer was retiring and his dealership was bought out by a larger operation subsequently. Everything changed overnight. The old owner's son was offered a position under new management since he helped his father with the place for over 20 years. He left within months due to the newly implemented practices. Most of their cars are one to four-year-old, low-option former rentals and fleet vehicles bought at auction. They do have some new inventory, but the variety, courtesy, and personability of the place are all gone. They have salespeople hounding you the minute you step on the lot, trying to buy your car, even if you aren't looking at getting something (personal experience), and their focus is purely on volume sales. Their reputation has tanked, and new inventory never seems to get moved. It can be both a blessing and a shame what new management can do to a dealership.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,100 Posts
They have salespeople hounding you the minute you step on the lot, trying to buy your car, even if you aren't looking at getting something (personal experience), and their focus is purely on volume sales.
I was at a local dealership two weeks ago to have a replacement fob programmed. A young woman was at the cashier paying for service done on her Jeep Wrangler and she was approached by a sales manager who wanted to know if she would sell it or perhaps consider trading it in for another vehicle. She politely declined and said the Jeep was her pride and joy. The sales manager continued to pitch an offer and the girl replied that her Jeep was personal to her. The sales manager tried once more to ask her what she would take for it and the girl just shut down the conversation by stating firmly, "I've even named my Jeep!" It was a funny moment because when she said that, she even gave the sales guy a raised, Kardashian-like eyebrow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was at a local dealership two weeks ago to have a replacement fob programmed. A young woman was at the cashier paying for service done on her Jeep Wrangler and she was approached by a sales manager who wanted to know if she would sell it or perhaps consider trading it in for another vehicle. She politely declined and said the Jeep was her pride and joy. The sales manager continued to pitch an offer and the girl replied that her Jeep was personal to her. The sales manager tried once more to ask her what she would take for it and the girl just shut down the conversation by stating firmly, "I've even named my Jeep!" It was a funny moment because when she said that, she even gave the sales guy a raised, Kardashian-like eyebrow.
I was with a buddy, used car shopping for him. Strolled through the local stealership lots just to mess around. We were in my Durango R/T. Every lot, salesmen were RUNNING out to talk to... me, about buying my Durango. Every time, I'd say, "Nope, I just bought it a few months ago, we're looking for my friend." Nope, several people out there drooling over the Durango, making offers to take it off my hands, put me in something new. I even replied, "My Durango is the nicest thing on this lot." To which one guy totally agreed. I put those conversations to rest by flooring it out of there with my resonator deleted exhaust every time. Boy, we had some fun messing around with them though! They're never getting my Durango. :devilish:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,100 Posts
You are exactly right and to be clear, I am not dissatisfied with either of the Dodges we own, just those lying jerks we have to deal with.

I removed saying I would never buy another Dodge after thinking about it.
Bro, I'll go with you next time so we can WWE tag-team the dealership management. Good-cop bad-cop style! Or I can tone it down to just punctuate your points with a solid, backup YEAH! And then you don't buy and we'll leave at least one sales manager questioning his career choices. :mad:

Seriously, I understand how frustrating it must be to be manipulated by a business that won't honor it's own agreements or value customer loyalty. I occasionally dealt with the dealership where I bought my 2013 R/T, but mostly I had any work done at a smaller dealership closer to my home. When I bought the Hellcat, it was from an independent dealership and the HC was already out of warranty so I had no expectations of service after I drove it off the lot.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
146 Posts
re: prepaid maintenance (especially if it's something that is above their base level of service).

I never buy anything in advance because you never know who's going to be on the other side of the door the next time you walk in. Good dealerships change to bad, and vice versa (although rarely).

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup, I catch people - especially car dealers - in lies all the time. Here's a tactic I use to determine how honest the other party is and whether I can trust them. I will ask them a simple question that I already know the answer to, that they would not necessarily think I know the answer to, and that I know they should know the answer to. The nature of the question should generally be one that harms their position. If they are truthful, it builds trust. If they lie, walk away.

For instance, I was looking at a XYZ car at a used dealership. I knew the car had been on the lot for months, and knew some of the car's history. I played really dumb, like it was a spontaneous impulse purchase. I asked how long they had it, and some history. The dealer fed me some outright dishonest yarn that, based on my research, was complete horse manure. Obviously I'm not going to deal with dishonest people, b/c they will screw you over.

So, yeah, part of life is navigating thru the shady people in business dealings.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I got my Durango, the dealer there, when asked how long they had the vehicle, replied, "Oh not long, just a couple of weeks." The problem? It was late December... whereas the website photos showed all the trees being nice and green, meaning they had it for at least three months. I knew they had been sitting on it and were willing to wiggle, but they initially made it out like they just got it and how it was a hot item to see if I would bite at the sticker price. The guy caught on that I knew what I was looking at pretty quick though and didn't fool around, and the deal was done just a few days later. I drove away with one heck of a deal, and based on my research, they made next to nothing; especially since I didn't finance through their program, but rather at the bank for a lower interest rate. They weren't the happiest when I wrote the check out for their full amount when they handed me their finance paperwork. But hey, we never agreed on how I was to pay...

·
Registered
170 Posts
....The lie was that they wanted us to buy the car sight unseen as it was on another lot and would have to be shipped to them and it could not be shipped to them unless we bought it first??? Well were is it located we can drive there and take a look at it, No, that's not possible as we don't know the exact location??? What? They were stupid enough in their lying deception to hand me the exact car specs, which had the Vin# on the sheet. I ran the Vin# and found the car on the lot at the CJDR in Sumter, South Carolina, we not only went to Sumter but bought the car from them, and trust for Efird of Florence, was totally gone...
Sounds like they had a dealer trade all set up. You did exactly what they did not want you to do - buy the car you want from the dealer who had it. This is a 'Hail Mary' play when the dealership absolutely cannot sell you something they have in stock today.

Don't be too hard on the sales droid either. There is a fair chance they really didn't know where the vehicle was located. Their "manager" in "the tower" had that information and probably withheld it just so the sales droid didn't accidentally share it.

Their problem was they ran in to someone smart enough to look up the VIN on-line and discover the dealership it was shipped to. Let's be real... Most customers aren't car savvy enough to know what a VIN is, much less how to look it up on-line. The dealership failed to read you as a 'car guy' who just might know a thing or two. It was their last chance play for your business and had a low probability of success on their part, but they have to play every card in their hand until the game is over and you sign the documents.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was 100% confirmed yesterday that any prior agreements even in writing were not going to be honored by the Sumter, SC CJDR dealership. Ry

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
re: prepaid maintenance (especially if it's something that is above their base level of service).

I never buy anything in advance because you never know who's going to be on the other side of the door the next time you walk in. Good dealerships change to bad, and vice versa (although rarely).
Yeah, I should have learned from my first experience, My Bad On That! :cautious:

My problem is I naturally trust pretty much anyone, unless I get a bad vibe from them, so that leaves me open to be taken in by a really good liar. But once that trust is broken, that's it as far as I am concerned, I'll never trust another word from them.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its so sad that everyone seems to have the same experience with so many Dealerships (aka/Stealerships). I also have many bad storys and experiences from bate & switch to seeing them beat the piss out of customers performance vehicles to lying about the monthly fees, models, options, the whole nine... Its the reason i bought my 1320 used with no loan and i bought out of state via phone & email from a reputable Dealership. I actually dealt with the Owner of the (4) Location Dealership and did all negotiations with him, once the deal was set he passed me to a Salesman to write it up and get my 1320 shipped to me. I honestly dont know what im going to do when i need to bring it in to a local dealership for something and it haunts me thinking about it....

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its so sad that everyone seems to have the same experience with so many Dealerships (aka/Stealerships). I also have many bad storys and experiences from bate & switch to seeing them beat the piss out of customers performance vehicles to lying about the monthly fees, models, options, the whole nine... Its the reason i bought my 1320 used with no loan and i bought out of state via phone & email from a reputable Dealership. I actually dealt with the Owner of the (4) Location Dealership and did all negotiations with him, once the deal was set he passed me to a Salesman to write it up and get my 1320 shipped to me. I honestly dont know what im going to do when i need to bring it in to a local dealership for something and it haunts me thinking about it....
We do have one dealership in South Carolina in descent driving distance towards the coastline, that so far, has not actually lied to us and has a good service department so we'll probably end up taking my wifes Charger to them to get it serviced.

They say God works in mysterious ways, and my wife had considered trading her Charger in for another Challenger, she got Challenger sick just after trading hers for the Charger at the Sumter CJDR. They told us they would look out for one for her 3 different times and it never happened. So maybe God was looking out for us back then and we did not even know it.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
170 Posts
...They told us they would look out for one for her 3 different times and it never happened...
Ha! I've got around a half dozen "We'll get back to you's" that I am still waiting for. Good thing I am not holding my breath!

The crazy thing is... If one of the sales droids was actually hungry for my business and was doing some hustling for me, I probably would have paid a premium to stay with that dealership. Once they found out they could not sell me something in inventory today, then I went in the brush-off pile.

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,726 Posts
Sorry to hear brother, I’ve never been good at knowing if someone is lying or trying to take money out of my pocket by selling me stuff so I always decline even if I think it’s a good deal, when purchasing now days, I look online and then call and set up an appointment, I tell them what I want and how I want it over the phone because I don’t want to waste mine or their time. If they agree, I set the appointment and go in. When I bought the Ram, the only thing that wasn’t done over the phone was my signature. They had the paperwork ready when I showed up, handed them the keys to my old Ram, they handed me the keys to the new one and I was out of there in about 15”.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts