Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
What you experience seems to be the norm. We traded a truck in and bought a new one and I had the value ofour used truck on my phone from Kelly Blue Book. They came back with a print out and it was different. I was kind of not to worried about it, we had kind of come to an agreement on price. Then my wife noticed there print out of our used truck had the wrong year on it which resulted in a lower value. We were going to leave and they came down another $500. The sales manager came up later and said it was a typo, “we don’t operate that way here”. SURE I said.

Dont even get me started on the paperwork guy whose job is really to sell you an extended warranty, the extra special wax, nitrogen in the tires etc.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
The dealership I was taking my Challenger and truck to were pretty good for some time. I especially liked the service person that was handling the work. Things change and it seems that they can't hold onto people. I just became 'a guy who walks thru the door'. I found I didn't trust the work for some reason so I found another shop to do the work.
I want to feel comfortable when I leave my vehicle. It's a sign that things may not be right, when every time you take your car in, the service techs are always changing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dodge dealers do seem to be disproportionately bad, compared to foreign dealers. I can't find a dealer within 50 miles that has anything close to good reviews, and I have to say they seem to be well earned. Most have a "we don't care and it shows" attitude toward service. In terms of basic customer service level, the Toyota and Honda dealers I go to blow them away. Just say hello and smile, at the very least. Toyota in particular seems to be more straightforward and honest, IMO.

In the car buying process, I have to say foreign dealers are way ahead. They send videos, are willing to work over the phone, and are in touch with what modern consumers want. Dodge is still old school haggling and "you have to come in to discuss things".

I am coming from a family owned Dodge dealer for over 70 years, so I have a loyalty to the brand, but I honestly dread every time I have to go in for service.

·
Premium Member
18,918 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experiences. I think these unscrupulous B*** rely on the fact that most people who have been screwed rarely complain about it so there is nothing holding their feet to the fire.

I know you're not the suing type, but some strong letters to well placed employees in the Dodge hierarchy (with back up information ) describing your dissatisfaction couldn't hurt. Demand that the company stand behind the written promises, negotiated in good faith to a loyal customer be honored. I would also make sure to copy the dealerships in question.

You've got nothing to lose and it shows you're not the type to put up with this ----.
Pardon the cliche' but its true.... the squeaky wheel does get some grease.
Good luck !

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
sorry to hear about your experience at your dealership, which seems to mimic the majority of dealerships. but, unlike yourself, i am an extremely loud, extremely big, greek. we are known for yelling and screaming, and that is during a happy conversation with family (which i am sure includes italians and people of latin origins) anyway, me personally, after a bad experience at a dealership years ago, proceeded to follow and hunt down the salesperson, going so far as to scare away a couple who were looking at the same car my ex wife and i were looking at not 30 minutes before. my ex was the complete opposite of me, quiet and reserved, but when your wife looks at you and says git 'em, i was all on that. after a good 45 minutes of constantly abusing this guy and the whole dealership, we went home and i proceeded to hunt down the top execs of the brand and then proceeded to write them, call them, text them. nothing happened other than most likely my picture hanging in all the dealerships saying something like run away and hide from this psycho. 😁
you ever need someone louder and angrier than you, i can be like your inner self.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My dad taught me that in business you verify, not trust.

Many moons ago, I bought a '95 Ram at the local dealership. I was paranoid about buying something that that had been test driven, off the lot. The one I was targeting was still on the transport truck when we shopped there. We negotiated the price, got the destination fees dropped, and haggled over some other nickel and dime BS. Part of the discussion revolved around the question if I was going to finance the vehicle. I informed them that I was, and the negotiations continued. When discussions were completed, they wanted to close all the financial transactions before the truck was ready to drive off the lot. I advised them I would sign all the documents when the truck was ready to take possession, and after I inspected the work. I advised them of my concerns and the sale was contingent on the odometer reading, and my inspection. I was paying for a new truck, not a test vehicle for other shoppers.

The next day, I got a call that the truck was ready so wife and I went there. After a satisfactory inspection (I even had them put it on the lift to inspect underneath to make sure there were no fluid leaks, etc), I went to the finance office to close the deal. The sales manager was surprised when I handed him a cashier's check for the agreed price. The sales price was based on financing, and I financed it - just not with them! They argued that the price was based on them getting some margin from the financing, and I advised that if they didn't want to sell me the truck at the agreed price, I had no heartache walking out. Reluctantly, they accepted the $17,000 check and I was on my way.

I never took that truck to the dealer for any service. I always did my own maintenance. Kept that truck for well above 200k miles, and the only issue over the years I owned it was the catalytic converter broke something loose inside and rattled. That old truck (5.9 magnum engine with auto trans) was pretty damned reliable. We ended up gifting it to a elderly friend who was down on his luck, and he drove it until he passed. Don't know what happened to it after that.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Another thing I have read is the dealer gets a kick back on loans, they are not doing it to be nice. Say Good Guys Local Bank offers 2.5% rate and pays the dear $50 for setting it up. Say Big Bad National Bank has a rate of 3.5% and gives the dealer $100 for setting it up. Which loan is the dealer going to push?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Another thing I have read is the dealer gets a kick back on loans, they are not doing it to be nice....
Yup. The dealership totally gets a kick back. And they have accelerators too (the more they finance, the more kick backs per deal they get).

I did this for both vehicles we purchased last year. I was dealing with a fixed price high-volume dealer - price is the same whether I finance or pay cash. I was ready to pay in full. On the Jeep, the finance guy got me a $750 extra rebate for doing financing. Immediate balloon payment, and I had to carry the last three months out. After four months I paid it off in full. He sent me a check for another $750. I paid a bit over $200 in interest and shuffled some paperwork for around $1300. Did a similar routine for the Challenger.

I don't know that they made any extra incentives on the financing for my deal. The Challenger was at the end-of-the-month and the finance guy was right on the edge of the top tier kick in. So doing my deal got him extra money on all the deals he did that month.

The only funny business was he tried to sell me gap insurance. Just in case I totaled the vehicle driving it off the lot, I wouldn't be on the hook for the immediate depreciation. I asked him how that would be any different than if I just paid in full and it was immediately totaled. I got a 'Oh yeah, good point'. LOL!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
When we bought our truck, the paper work said we HAD to make 4 payments. Same thing we got an extra $500 off and would have paid more if we had gone with a cash deal. My wife read the paper work and we did not make 4 payments and paid it off right away.

The deal is if you make at least 4 payments the dealer gets his kickback, so they lie to you that you can’t pay if off with the first payment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
...The deal is if you make at least 4 payments the dealer gets his kickback, so they lie to you that you can’t pay if off with the first payment....
For clarity, the dealership got their bonus if I carried the loan for four months. I could have immediately paid it off and just gotten the $750 rebate. By carrying it for four months the dealer got their money and then sent me another $750.

Heck, it has been over a decade since I bought anything on credit. It was probably good just to let the credit bureaus know I am still alive...

·
Registered
273 Posts
My dad taught me that in business you verify, not trust.

Many moons ago, I bought a '95 Ram at the local dealership. I was paranoid about buying something that that had been test driven, off the lot. The one I was targeting was still on the transport truck when we shopped there. We negotiated the price, got the destination fees dropped, and haggled over some other nickel and dime BS. Part of the discussion revolved around the question if I was going to finance the vehicle. I informed them that I was, and the negotiations continued. When discussions were completed, they wanted to close all the financial transactions before the truck was ready to drive off the lot. I advised them I would sign all the documents when the truck was ready to take possession, and after I inspected the work. I advised them of my concerns and the sale was contingent on the odometer reading, and my inspection. I was paying for a new truck, not a test vehicle for other shoppers.

The next day, I got a call that the truck was ready so wife and I went there. After a satisfactory inspection (I even had them put it on the lift to inspect underneath to make sure there were no fluid leaks, etc), I went to the finance office to close the deal. The sales manager was surprised when I handed him a cashier's check for the agreed price. The sales price was based on financing, and I financed it - just not with them! They argued that the price was based on them getting some margin from the financing, and I advised that if they didn't want to sell me the truck at the agreed price, I had no heartache walking out. Reluctantly, they accepted the $17,000 check and I was on my way.

I never took that truck to the dealer for any service. I always did my own maintenance. Kept that truck for well above 200k miles, and the only issue over the years I owned it was the catalytic converter broke something loose inside and rattled. That old truck (5.9 magnum engine with auto trans) was pretty damned reliable. We ended up gifting it to a elderly friend who was down on his luck, and he drove it until he passed. Don't know what happened to it after that.
So you negotiated in bad faith and you wonder why dealerships do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Short story...last October I bought my Challenger and an hour later we purchased a '17 GC Limited for the wife from the same dealership. But almost immediately she started having transmission problems with that GC. Took it back two weeks later and they determined it needed a new transmission with only 25K miles on it, but it was covered by our power train warranty. It took a month to get approval and the install, so they gave her a loaner to use at no charge and they even reimbursement our car payments by doubling them we had made while not even driving it...two thumbs up in my department.

Reactions: RyzRT
21 - 35 of 35 Posts