Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife floored me the other day when she said I could have a Hellcat. She said that she preferred the Challenger over the Charger.

This got me thinking. What do I really want? I would LOVE to have a Hellcat. But there's are some other priorities.

1. I love my current B5, the mods I have carefully thought out and completed on it, and the attention that I get with it.
2. I love working on my vehicles, but lack of a garage and a lift prevents a lot of that. Plus, the protection against the elements a garage would afford to all of our vehicles. A garage would also add equity to our property and house.
3. Being retired, right now I only get a monthly pension check from my former employer. I don't want to touch my 403, especially now while it is making good money. I don't want to start my SS until I'm 66 as it almost doubles then. The job at Advance Auto does not pay well, and I use that money for gas and mad money. Hilda is also planning on retiring at 66(mid 2018) and she is doing the health insurance right now.

So, right now my priorities are practicality. I would rather spend 40k on a good sized(28W x 28D) and a lift that I can swing with small equity payments. That way I can continue to improve my current B5 and still live the way we want to.

All bets are off if I win the Mega Millions or PowerBall!

·
12,989 Posts
Hey Dan, I know where your coming from but one thing you got to remember is the clock goes around once buddy!!

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I'm right there with you Dan!!
I'm in the early stages of a construction project building a 30' x 72' garage / shop. I expect when all is said and done the cost will be about equal to what a Hellcat would be........but I'll have a lift and a dedicated Challenger Care Center (other makes and models are welcome as long as beer is provided).
The age old question: which came first - the Hellcat or the shop?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah ya hate to say it but your at heart attach age. Only you can say what's important to you. You already have a b5. Enjoy life while your alive. Because you won't when your dead.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Build the garage if you don't have one. It is a crime to spend $40K and up on a vehicle and let it set outside in the elements.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
I would be more than happy to garage your HellCat until you get your garage built. PM me so we can set up your HellCat foster! :smileup:

·
Dazed & Confused
36,567 Posts
Understand how you feel Dan. I could probably swing one but I'm hoping to retire at the end of this year. If not, who knows what possibly may end up in the driveway.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,956 Posts
Can't argue your logic Dan....I ran through the numbers too - a garage is not in my future unless I leave the Keys and storage space is at a premium.....Have too much invested in my B5 - not necessarily $$$ either - to let it go on a trade or private sale and start all over.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
You may have to flip a coin Dan. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
spoken like a true family man, I respect a man that looks at things at all angles. I stalked the challenger years before I brought one, the hellcat is nice but being able build a shop is better. When I become a million year I'll buy you one.

·
RELIVN
301 Posts
Dan,

I hear ya. Also retired and have spent a lot of time, effort and bucks into getting mine where I want it. I agree with your decision and the reasoning. And the comment about the lottery. Take care.

Dick

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dan, I'm 75. We all would love to have a Hellcat, but build the garage first. What the younger guys here don't understand, is that we retirees have a limited amount of money to spend, and when it's gone it's gone. No more working for some of us. It has to last us until we are gone to put it politely. We worked hard for it all our lives and now have to be more careful where we spend it. I am lucky to have 3 cars I enjoy, but my SRT is my favorite toy. It is a very special car. But I still might own a Hellcat some day.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Since you don't have the garage yet, do that project first then think about the hellcat when your SS doubles and your 403 is hefty.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,421 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,421 Posts
Well now that I have the "John" post done, here's my take on your situation Dan. I think it was very nice of your wife to support you on this, great wife!! You have considered this very thoughtfully and I think in the right way. I don't know how you do it without a garage. That would be a challenge for me, and I would build that garage. Tiki makes an excellent comment about just waiting it out a little until the social security comes at 66. And good luck on the lottery!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
The garage makes a lot of sense... no point in spending $60K+ on a car, then leaving it out in the elements.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
I have one of those wives too...and sometimes I just want her to say no to make my life easier!!! Maybe I`ve just spent too much time lately reflecting on how much is enough...maybe a new thread coming in the off topic section, but in reality, you love your current car, as well you should. A garage makes a whole lot more sense in my opinion, but as others have said, you only live once! Brain vs Heart! Good luck!

·
801 RWHP
8,516 Posts
I always look at how someone went through their logic and came up with their answer, and would never question them, because I am NOT them. I am battling this as well. Although I am currently employed and will be for a while to go yet. I am looking to move. I could swing the Hellcat right now. But that could hamper my move plans a bit. Dilemmas. Ugh. For me, I usually look at it from a "what will I regret later", standpoint. Helps me in the long run. I know for me I will regret later not getting the Hellcat. That said I am still going to go ahead with the move first. Who knows. Sometimes there is monies left over from a move. And then there is always next year. I hate tough emotional choices. The heart wants what it wants. Sometimes you have to stifle that. That is hard. Good luck, Dan.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts