Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The resonators were taken off yesterday & now it's straight piped. I know everyone warned me about the dreaded drone & yes, I have it around 2000 - 2500 rpms. Considering my wallet is tapped out for a while, is there anything else that can be done to help eliminate some of this drone? Would using some different tips, with a wider "mouth", be better?

In addition to the drone, there are times that it sounds a little "tuner", so now I feel like I've ruined my Challenger. Sometimes it sounds really good, like at idle or when I am running a constant speed, but other times...well, you know:sad:

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Drone.

Hi
I had the same issue with my Challenger.
What I did was lined the trunk with sound proofing material.
This helped.
I've even heard of people spraying Plasti Dip,
in the trunk and the under side of the car.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I'm positive you haven't ruined your challenger Trish! Exhausts are a very tough thing to get right. I've always advised that you check out cars live and in person to experience what a sample exhaust sounds like - even go for a ride if you can.
Videos typically don't do justice to the true sound (and won't expose drone) and written descriptions are subjective.
Everyone has a different ear and taste for what they want their cars to sound like.
Hang in there!
See if you can go to some shows or gatherings and actually talk to folks with the same car. Check out their set ups and find the sound you like......

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Corsa Extreme perhaps :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You know what, I have the Brola ATAK on my RT I love the sound, I was sitting at work and heard a guy in a SS Impala coming and it sounds loud I didnt like it. So on e day he stopped and we talked about car and he told me he jus got pipes and I was like thats what it sounds like. I dont like it but the is someone out there that dont like my ATAK so it's up to you and what you like. you can never mess up a Challenger.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess "messed up" was the wrong wording to use. I know it's not messed up. I've had people tell me it sounds good & not "ricey" in the past couple of days. It's growing on me pretty quickly & I like having a more aggressive sound.
The only thing I want to try to reduce is the drone. I am thinking about taking the advice about soundproofing. It seems like most of the drone is coming from the trunk, so I may just get some carpet padding or some undercoating spray & do the inside of the trunk, under the carpet. Hopefully that will help some!:smileup:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I guess "messed up" was the wrong wording to use. I know it's not messed up. I've had people tell me it sounds good & not "ricey" in the past couple of days. It's growing on me pretty quickly & I like having a more aggressive sound.
The only thing I want to try to reduce is the drone. I am thinking about taking the advice about soundproofing. It seems like most of the drone is coming from the trunk, so I may just get some carpet padding or some undercoating spray & do the inside of the trunk, under the carpet. Hopefully that will help some!:smileup:
First off, really sorry your not happy with the sound. I went through the same thing a few years back. I had a 2010 SE Challenger. I installed a Borla catback exhaust which cost me $1600 dollars. Drove the car home from the shop and all I could think was that I just ruined my car. The drone was horrible. I tried getting used to it, but it only got worse. So after several months I traded the car in for a new one. Thinking back I should have tried a few things. The one thing i regret not doing was to add performance mufflers where the original resonators were. People have had good results doing that. So do get discouraged, be patient and choose a good muffler, it will fix your drone issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You didn't ruin your challenger all you have to do is add blastin bobs magnaflow glasspack kit to your car. I did my car and I love it more . Now it sounds like it looks a bit of a drone around 3000rpms but not too bad .With auto stick people have asked me why I removed the hemi decals

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok if you want it so sound mean but not as obnoxious as the straight pipe you should probably get some Flowmaster 10's put them in place of where the resonators were before the axle, then run the straight pipe out to the factory Dodge tips, its sounds aggressive and is pretty cheap, less than $200 including the mufflers if you know a cool muffler shop. I have a sound clip of mine if you want to hear it but I have a v-8. I just couldn't justify spending over a grand on a catback, not happening.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What I find amazing here is the OP has a V6 but most all of the ones telling her how to " fix " her car have the 5.7 Hemi, There is a HUGE difference in the 3.6 and the 5.7 what works for the Hemi will not be the same for the V6.
The resonators are located out back by the rear bumper , the round tube shaped things in front of the axle were your mufflers.There is room under there for 2 ovals just in front of the axle , or you can find a couple round ones . flowmaster , magnaflow , jones , whatever you like.Even with mufflers it's still going to be way louder than it was , Those big suitcase resonators are what kept the drone down.I am speaking from experience because I have done this myself , I ended up just changing the mufflers out, oh and I have a 3.6 .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts