Dodge Challenger Forum banner

I finally changed my plugs @ 46k

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  paladin1001 
#1 ·
The plugs all were 3 thousandths wide, all have a nice tan side with slight rounding of the electrode on that side with the other side white and straight and like new, just like in the pic attached. The dark side of the electrode looks darker in the pic than it does in person. I would say, unless I see a huge gain in gas mileage, these plugs are good for 50k at a minimum. I was still getting low to mid 20's with the old plugs, back when it was new I got high 20's and even 30's sometimes, so we will see. However it ran great, no appreciable loss of power, I haven't taken it out yet to try it out since I got it done late in the day today but I will update my post when I get the chance, working all week though, so it may be a few days as it's not my DD.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for sharing your findings. Any idea why the electrode was white on one side and brown on the other ?
Since they all had the same clean on one side burned on the other look, I assume it is because they are right next to each other in the head so one side of the plug is protected from the combustion process by the other plug, when I say they are white I mean the ceramic coating on the electrode is white still like a new plug, the other side is the perfect tan that indicates a good fuel mix and clean burning.

Further indicators of my protection theory is the non rounded off like new side of the electrode itself, like that side of the plug is protected.

Who knows though, I could be way off, but I have never seen plugs that were clean like that on the one side and this is the first Hemi with 16 plugs that i have changed.

#9 ·
I changed mine At 30K and I felt it was way too soon.
X2, felt they coild have gone another 15K, although it felt like the TR was better!

#10 ·
Well I drove her quite a bit this weekend, more power, smoother, better throttle response and my mileage is back up where it used to be, I picked up 6 mpg! My last tank with the old plugs I got 22.1, this tank since the plugs, 28.3, same gas station, same route of travel, some city but mostly open desert two lane roads with speed limits of 65. I would say the plug change may not be needed at 30 to make it run but I won't be going too much over that next time, its like a different car it is so smooth. End of my little ill fated cost saving experiment! Weird, because to look at the plugs they really don't look all that bad, but they must break down internally, because the performance was seriously effected. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.