Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined with NASA AZ an organization that does track days here in Arizona. I went to wildhorse pass east track in chandler Arizona a fun little road course and I was surprised to be the only mopar there. Every one seemed to think that the car was too heavy and wouldn't do well around the track. They were wrong Srt did a great job setting up this car to handle a track. They put a driving instructor in the car with me since it was my first time there. He kept saying "wow I love the breaks on this thing" and "It really moves doesn't it" also time and time again he commented on how nimble it was in the corners nothing like he expected a big car to handle. The whole day a pushed my girl and she never let me down. I didn't get passed a single time but I passed a bunch of cars including a ss Camaro and a bunch of smaller cars like the scion frs. I though that I would pull ahead in the straits but they would catch me In the corners, but that was not the case once I passed a car I never saw it in my rear view. I am so proud of my big heavy car. After I left the track I had to fill up and figured I did less than 6 mpg while on the track. It is a thirsty place. If you never tried a road course track go for it, it is so much fun.

Reactions: Hajo

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,539 Posts
Sounds like you had a Great Day!

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
When I drive my work car and get in the SRT, the brakes and steering improve a great deal in performance. Tap the brakes ERRK! Touch the steering whoa!

Sounds like a lot of fun.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,694 Posts
Glad you had a fun time, are they still using the drag strip as a straightaway?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you had a fun time, are they still using the drag strip as a straightaway?
No the track was on its own no dragsrtip to be seen

·
Administrator
53,694 Posts
No the track was on its own no dragsrtip to be seen
A long time ago, part of the road course was the drag strip and it was quite a hairy transition from a turn onto the drag strip a lot more grip on the strip. I watched a 308 Ferrari stuff it into the wall after loosing it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has any of you done road course driving before

·
Administrator
53,694 Posts
Has any of you done road course driving before
Yes I have not lately and not in the Challenger. I have driven the road course at Firebird (now wild horse) several times and at Sears Point (Sonoma CA).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try driving the 300 SRT. Talk about BIG, BULKY, and nimble! with class! The SRT experience really shows what these cars are capable of. Anyone that says these are fat pigs doesn't have a clue. Drove at Laguna Seca and the cork screw was AWESOME! The folks at SRT experiece stated the only maintenance for the entire series tour was obviously brakes, and tires, and an oil change now and then, otherwise no issues. These are track capable cars without a doubt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts