Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Backed into a low lying brick structure backing out of a driveway. Just makes me sick. I have the estimate for repairs. My question is...(other than wheel and tire) how could there not be additional parts needed other than the rear crossmember? Something else has to be bent, wouldn't you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I can’t blow up your pics to get a better look.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Without looking at my car and comparing it to your pics I can’t tell what’s damaged. Without look8ng at the estimate based on your pics I would have guessed a lower control arm. The damage seems pretty obvious so I’d say the Geico guy knows what he is looking at. If he isn’t correct they will adjust the amount when they fix it.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,194 Posts
With the Rear End being messed up that is going to be a huge issue the Chassis and Cradle probably bent on impact.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Backed into a low lying brick structure backing out of a driveway. Just makes me sick. I have the estimate for repairs. My question is...(other than wheel and tire) how could there not be additional parts needed other than the rear crossmember? Something else has to be bent, wouldn't you think? View attachment 282260 View attachment 282261 View attachment 282262 View attachment 282263 View attachment 282264 View attachment 282265 View attachment 282266 View attachment 282267
Comparing your crossmember to a picture I have in my library it looks like the only damage I can see is to the crossmember. Looks like you flattened it somewhat(?). Maybe the lower control arm is knocked around a bit too.

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
110 Posts
Damn dude you backup at a high rate of speed.
Its not tweaked that bad and it was straight rear impact not side, correct?
I could see the other parts surviving in that scenario.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn dude you backup at a high rate of speed.
Its not tweaked that bad and it was straight rear impact not side, correct?
I could see the other parts surviving in that scenario.
yes it was pretty much straight...almost straight but not exactly straight

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,870 Posts
Generally what happens is the car is booked into a reputable repair shop and the car torn down to better view any hidden damage. In this case the tear down would consist of removing the rear wheels/tires and the rear bumper cover.

There might be additional damage -- the position of the passenger side rear wheel/tire suggests the rear suspension has received some damage -- which the shop estimator will will spot and note on the estimate sheet.

A proper repair also involves the car being checked for out of position hard points and these being brought back into proper position. This is a critical step to help ensure the car is properly repaired.

Only an experienced estimator who is at the car can make a reasonable estimate of the damage. Invariably my experience has been that as the repair progresses more damage is found and the subsequent estimate can go up by 10% or more (in one case 20%) over the initial estimate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Generally what happens is the car is booked into a reputable repair shop and the car torn down to better view any hidden damage. In this case the tear down would consist of removing the rear wheels/tires and the rear bumper cover.

There might be additional damage -- the position of the passenger side rear wheel/tire suggests the rear suspension has received some damage -- which the shop estimator will will spot and note on the estimate sheet.

A proper repair also involves the car being checked for out of position hard points and these being brought back into proper position. This is a critical step to help ensure the car is properly repaired.

Only an experienced estimator who is at the car can make a reasonable estimate of the damage. Invariably my experience has been that as the repair progresses more damage is found and the subsequent estimate can go up by 10% or more (in one case 20%) over the initial estimate.
thank you for this information.

·
Trigger657
3,412 Posts
Backed into a low lying brick structure backing out of a driveway. Just makes me sick. I have the estimate for repairs. My question is...(other than wheel and tire) how could there not be additional parts needed other than the rear crossmember? Something else has to be bent, wouldn't you think? View attachment 282260 View attachment 282261 View attachment 282262 View attachment 282263 View attachment 282264 View attachment 282265 View attachment 282266 View attachment 282267
WOW! As tough as these cars look, it's what behind the plastic, panels and underneath that cost.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,870 Posts
You'd be surprised. My son had a 'Fender Bender' with his 2015 Audi A4. Crunched the right-side headlight and the facial on that side. Looked fixable to me but his insurance totaled it.
Audis are expensive to repair. The aluminum body doesn't help. When I lived in Livermore and just 30 miles away from the SF Bay Area there was just one Audi certified body shop located I think in Berkeley. My local Porsche dealer GM was familiar with this shop. The GM told to get certified with Audi cost the shop around $100K. I didn't look into this but I expected the cost to work on Audi cars was quite a bit higher than for other cars at other (non Audi certified) shops.

Depending upon where one is located the nearest Audi shop could be hundreds of miles away and given the cost of labor and with an older Audi model of vehicle which has experienced some depreciation (and I seem to recall Audi doesn't fare too well when it comes to depreciation) totaling the vehicle could be the cheaper solution for the insurance company.

·
Trigger657
3,412 Posts
Yeah, I got that. My son didn't learn from that experience though. He's on his 3rd Audi now. Just from what he's told me about the service from Dealers in San Antonio and now in Houston, I won't have one. And to think, he should be considered a loyal customer. He's got a Q5 now that the dealership can't seem to alinement correctly. The going for him is that he Leases them. But that may change this year.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Looks cosmetic to me.

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL
1 - 19 of 19 Posts