Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I’ve saved up a little money to spend on my ‘12 5.7l R/T but having a hard time deciding what to do with it.

So far all I’ve done in the performance arena is a CAI, catch can, and strut tower brace. On the exhaust, I’m not sure if it’s fully stock or not. It has stock headers, an x pipe with no resonators. I’ve read that some of the ‘12 R/Ts came with x pipes and some didn’t.

Appearance wise, We’ve got gold vinyl, ASA brass monkey SRT replica rims with some cheap-o tires. Rear louver, and per my kid’s request, some exterior underglow lighting.

I’ve been considering a diablosport tuner (not sure which yet), upgrading the brakes, or going to coil overs.

Any suggestions? If you had $2k, what would you spend it on?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
2,333 Posts
go for the tune. you wont regret it .there is a lot of power left in your motor, then do the brakes and have fun:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
I'm with Mike t. You'll get the most bang for your buck with a tune I think. If you have money left over some headers would be a good improvement.

Reactions: Palito

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,508 Posts
You can go with a HP Tuners Tune since your PCM is not locked and wake up some more HP with a Hemi Fever Tune of course a shop with a Dyno can help you get best results....

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
146 Posts
With performance on the menu I am going with an LSD if you do not already have one. Getting the power you do have to the ground would be first on my list.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T 6M
131 Posts
Diablosport tuner (Trinity T2 platinum). That made the biggest difference in the feel of my R/T. However, My R/T is a manual, so it has a limited slip differential. It may be that replacing an open diff with an LSD makes a bigger difference. I upgraded my brakes so that i could track my R/T on the road course, but i do not find that upgraded brakes do that much to make the daily drive more enjoyable. The tune makes the biggest difference in my opinion, especially due having adjustable parameters which allowed me to tighten up the throttle response.

I bought mine refurbished on ebay for around $300 - like this one here RFB DiabloSport 9345 Trinity T2 Platinum (CMR Custom Tune Capable) for Dodge/Ram | eBay

Reactions: Revtime and Palito

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,609 Posts
Ditto with mike ts suggestion.

·
Registered
2014 Challenger R/T Classic Super Track Pak
10 Posts
I am like you in having mostly stock 5.7L but six speed.
I have CAI that replaced the plastic tube and resonator inline. Wrapped metal tube with header wrap to keep heat out. I can feel a difference in the seat of the pants manner. If you like your exhaust sound do not mess with it because it opens an expensive/troubling can of worms in my opinion. Previous owner of mine did a chop job and now I'm looking at replacing mufflers or resonators and it is a crap shoot on what it will sound like when done.

Like other guys said my next buy is a tuner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. Fortunately, I do have an LSD and sounds like tune is the way to go.

As this will be my first experience with tuning, what would you say is the most idiot proof option? The HP tuners sound pretty robust but come with additional cost for software and I feel like more knowledge would be needed not to seriously screw things up as opposed to something like the Trinity with its canned tunes.

I did talk to one local shop who said they could do a tune but tried to push me down the supercharged route instead. 🙄 like I’ve got 10k to spend or something.

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
146 Posts
HPtuners is pretty robust. If you are going to keep upgrading parts it would be worth it to learn. Do you have dyno close?

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,372 Posts
I'd go with long tubes and a custom tune...

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,977 Posts
Well I hate to be a party pooper but I'd not spend $2 more on the car other than to ensure it is kept in tip top condition with the goal for it to provide you with a long and trouble free service life.

The $2K you can leave in the bank and add to it to have when it is time to replace the car.

And of course you have the kids' college saving accounts funded?

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
332 Posts
From the rear it looks like stock exhaust. Go for a 91 octane tune and Dyno with a quality exhaust (BORLA, CORSA, etc.) Performance will improve and it will sound great

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
332 Posts
Well I hate to be a party pooper but I'd not spend $2 more on the car other than to ensure it is kept in tip top condition with the goal for it to provide you with a long and trouble free service life.

The $2K you can leave in the bank and add to it to have when it is time to replace the car.

And of course you have the kids' college saving accounts funded?
The way we're headed, that $2K will be worth about $1.98 in a couple of years

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,977 Posts
The way we're headed, that $2K will be worth about $1.98 in a couple of years
That's hyperbole. Had I believed this back when I I was on the cusp of starting to save/invest in earnest and acted based on this belief I'd be way worse off now to the tune of a considerable amount of money.

The car is a depreciating asset probably worth considerably less than what the OP paid for it -- this of course ignores what effect on the car's value this goofy used car market might be having and while it might be inflated now I would not expect it to last -- and $2K of mods is not going to give him any return on his $2K.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts