Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
332 Posts
That's hyperbole. Had I believed this back when I I was on the cusp of starting to save/invest in earnest and acted based on this belief I'd be way worse off now to the tune of a considerable amount of money.

The car is a depreciating asset probably worth considerably less than what the OP paid for it -- this of course ignores what effect on the car's value this goofy used car market might be having and while it might be inflated now I would not expect it to last -- and $2K of mods is not going to give him any return on his $2K.
Well if that's the case, sell the damn car, put the money in the kids college account and buy yourself a Geo. What the heck did you buy the Challenger for if not to have your fun. From looking at your children I would say that your probably young enough to save for them and have your fun too.
Just sayin!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's hyperbole. Had I believed this back when I I was on the cusp of starting to save/invest in earnest and acted based on this belief I'd be way worse off now to the tune of a considerable amount of money.

The car is a depreciating asset probably worth considerably less than what the OP paid for it -- this of course ignores what effect on the car's value this goofy used car market might be having and while it might be inflated now I would not expect it to last -- and $2K of mods is not going to give him any return on his $2K.
Your right, the used car market is so hot right now I could could trade it in for the same price I purchased it at a few years ago. I know this won’t last forever but It will also be payed off in the next few months. Figured why not have a little fun with it.

As far as my kids education savings I’m fortunate to have an amazing job with incredible benefits so that’s well underway. This money is specifically extra saved for the specific purpose of having fun with a car I’ve always wanted. And costs to maintain and operate are already way less on the challenger than my old el Camino 😂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well if that's the case, sell the damn car, put the money in the kids college account and buy yourself a Geo. What the heck did you buy the Challenger for if not to have your fun. From looking at your children I would say that your probably young enough to save for them and have your fun too.
Just sayin!
a geo?! I’d rather die 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Depending on your age, talk to your financial advisor. Money spent on mods is money never recovered. But if invested properly… (I know - nobody likes a wise guy!)

Reactions: Palito

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,977 Posts
Your right, the used car market is so hot right now I could could trade it in for the same price I purchased it at a few years ago. I know this won’t last forever but It will also be payed off in the next few months. Figured why not have a little fun with it.

As far as my kids education savings I’m fortunate to have an amazing job with incredible benefits so that’s well underway. This money is specifically extra saved for the specific purpose of having fun with a car I’ve always wanted. And costs to maintain and operate are already way less on the challenger than my old el Camino 😂
If your financial situation has all bases covered regarding saving for various things and you are comfortable with the situation and the money is mad money then have at the mods.

Believe it or not I did some mods years ago. But now I wish I had not done the mods. Nothing loses value faster than mods made to a car, unless it is mods made to a motorcycle. The money I spent back then had I instead invested it and allowed it to compound over time would buy me a new car (at least) now.

'course, fortunately I did save and invest and did well enough I can afford a new car easy enough.

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,707 Posts
If you are not able to do the work you're self, 2K not going very far. You definitely can get a tine from HemiFever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If your financial situation has all bases covered regarding saving for various things and you are comfortable with the situation and the money is mad money then have at the mods.

Believe it or not I did some mods years ago. But now I wish I had not done the mods. Nothing loses value faster than mods made to a car, unless it is mods made to a motorcycle. The money I spent back then had I instead invested it and allowed it to compound over time would buy me a new car (at least) now.

'course, fortunately I did save and invest and did well enough I can afford a new car easy enough.
totally get where you are coming from. I’ve definitely had some ups and downs as far as financial comfort goes, and know first hand how quickly things can change from up to down. Which is probably why I’m as cheap as I am 😂

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
332 Posts
You only live once. I know I want to enjoy my life before I am too old. Have fun while you can.
The kids can get a job. And I have plans to be homeless in Hawaii for my golden years.
Your absolutely right, the kids can get a job, mine did and they both paid for their own Master Degrees. I paid for their phones and health and auto ins.They achieved the rest by themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
keep it stock, take the 2 grand and invest it in some high yield stocks, take that money and purchase the next hellcat. leave this one as a daily driver

Reactions: Maxedwell

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I would strongly suggest long tubes and a dyno. Just speaking about what I did and it was an amazing difference.

·
Registered
2016 SRT 392 Challenger MBRP exhaust, Jay Greene tune, K and N intake, aluminum drive shaft, 95 mm t
87 Posts
Tuner with custom tune has done the most for my car then with what you have left a set of shorty headers with long tubes you will have to get mid pipes too I put shortys on mine and liked the sound and maybe a little power bump.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Here's your challenge as I see it Palito. You went out and bought yourself a muscle car, not just any muscle car but one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful production cars on the market, even though it's a 2012 R/T ( I have a 2012 R/T Classic) it still has status in the muscle car world. At 375 BHP it is no sleeper. I have some earned insight for you. $2000 will only get your foot in the door, an excellent exhaust system, CAI, catch can and some bling. You will have a great sounding, fun, everyday ride. But if you catch the bug (as I have) that brotherhood of muscle cars will always being whispering in your ear "maybe a cam or some valve work or maybe a 91 octane tune will move me closer to the 500HP mark of a real muscle car and then 10,000 or 12,000$ later your wondering what it will cost to break the 500HP barrier. I know, it's a 2012 how much are you willing to put into it, whatever you put in you will never get out. So either set your strict limits now and stick to it or buy a Geo and go on vacation

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,977 Posts
Just sayin!
IF you are referring to me and kids I am past the kid stage of life. Retired. Enjoying my life and the fact I did save/invest over the years, yet still managed to enjoy life before retiring and that included enjoying various cars. I owned a Hellcat when I did decided to retire and since retiring bought a Mercedes van and a few months later I traded in the Hellcat for a new 2020 Scat Pack.

Even long before I retired I enjoyed nice cars, including 3 Porsche cars. All thanks to my saving/investing.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
IF you are referring to me and kids I am past the kid stage of life. Retired. Enjoying my life and the fact I did save/invest over the years, yet still managed to enjoy life before retiring and that included enjoying various cars. I owned a Hellcat when I did decided to retire and since retiring bought a Mercedes van and a few months later I traded in the Hellcat for a new 2020 Scat Pack.

Even long before I retired I enjoyed nice cars, including 3 Porsche cars. All thanks to my saving/investing.
Nope, refering to Palito

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here's your challenge as I see it Palito. You went out and bought yourself a muscle car, not just any muscle car but one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful production cars on the market, even though it's a 2012 R/T ( I have a 2012 R/T Classic) it still has status in the muscle car world. At 375 BHP it is no sleeper. I have some earned insight for you. $2000 will only get your foot in the door, an excellent exhaust system, CAI, catch can and some bling. You will have a great sounding, fun, everyday ride. But if you catch the bug (as I have) that brotherhood of muscle cars will always being whispering in your ear "maybe a cam or some valve work or maybe a 91 octane tune will move me closer to the 500HP mark of a real muscle car and then 10,000 or 12,000$ later your wondering what it will cost to break the 500HP barrier. I know, it's a 2012 how much are you willing to put into it, whatever you put in you will never get out. So either set your strict limits now and stick to it or buy a Geo and go on vacation
Your characterization of "catching a bug and making mods that go to 500 hp 10k or 12k later really doesn't apply to the vast majority of R/T owners who are perfectly happy with mods that bump up the hp to say the 430 hp level, otherwise we would have bought SRTs.... So, telling a Challenger owner to go buy a Geo as an alternative is simply ludicrous!

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Your characterization of "catching a bug and making mods that go to 500 hp 10k or 12k later really doesn't apply to the vast majority of R/T owners who are perfectly happy with mods that bump up the hp to say the 430 hp level, otherwise we would have bought SRTs.... So, telling a Challenger owner to go buy a Geo as an alternative is simply ludicrous!
Would have never guessed that after reading the Challenger General Discussion posts.

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,707 Posts
I got 500hp for 1k. No need to spend 10k to 12k. LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
DUMP those stupid chassis lights (you are not the same age as your children...but with those lights you look like a pre-teen) and invest in a good set of tires (you indicated you have "cheapo" tires).....then you will have to explain to the wife why you are always late from the car shows)...

21 - 40 of 60 Posts