Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm normally a Penzoil man have used Penzoil Ultra Synthetic for some time. Good stuff and usually can get a 5 quart jug for under $28.

This oil change I decided go with Mobil 1 extended performance and use a K&N filter I snagged of Amazon for about $9.50.

I never bought much into the oil "hype" seeing is how I'm OCD about changing it frequently but I'm definitely seeing a smoother idle and the car hold higher RPMs longer when in sport mode.

Also the vehicle is a lot smoother at cruise speeds and I managed to squeak about about 2 more MPG on the highway.

Again not one to buy much into marketing or hype, but from first impressions I'm sold on this stuff.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
I know when I changed the oil in my Scat Pack and put in the Mobil One it did seem to run quieter, less engine noise. I'll be using that stuff going forward. I've been sticking with Wix filters for a long time now. Heard good things about K&N filters as well.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
I use both, Mobile One in the Challenger and Pennzoil in the SRT Jeep. The Pennzoil is what is recommended for the Jeep snd we have the 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty so I am sticking with what is recommended. I ran Mobile One in both of my RAM trucks and the wife's Charger.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know when I changed the oil in my Scat Pack and put in the Mobil One it did seem to run quieter, less engine noise. I'll be using that stuff going forward. I've been sticking with Wix filters for a long time now. Heard good things about K&N filters as well.
I used a FRAM filter last go round. Normally I stay away from anything FRAM, but that is all they had on the shelf at Autozone for 14.00. I think I changed my oil way too early, as it was still an dark amber color. Also, the FRAM filter had frayed a bit but it was still pretty rigid.

I might switch back to a Mopar or WIX paper air filter from my AEM dry drop in to see if my MPG goes up. I'm sitting at around 23-24 hwy using sport mode. That is up from 20-22 on avg. The last time it shot up to 26 consistently is when I switched back to my standard MOPAR OEM filter and ran it till it got dirty.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Yeah I'd stick with a Mopar or Wix filter, Fram filters aren't made very well. Lots of complaints online from people that used them. Low oil pressure at idle, poor filtering, etc. If you cut one apart you'll see how crappy they really are compared to other quality filters. Probably won't hurt anything using it for a little bit, but if it were me I'd go with a better filter next oil change.

Fram was good years ago, then another company bought them, started making them cheaply and quality went down, but they kept advertising and lived off the reputation from years ago. People are wising up now and switching as more and more problems surface and their poor quality is exposed. My buddy turned me on to Wix filters and I've been using those for the past 7-8 years now. Lots of small block Chevy guys that have issues with low oil pressure at idle end up switching out their Fram filter for something better and the problem goes away. Not sure on the modern Mopars, but after reading a lot of those types of stories I switched.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.