Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have been running the Magnaflow Competition Cat Back exhaust on my 2015 5.7, which has an X pipe crossover built into the system. I always thought the X pipe was restricting the exhaust flow but I figured that Magnaflow knew what they were doing 100% so why would they add something that actually hurt the 5.7s performance.

I watched H Pipe vs X Pipe videos searching for actual comparative results but most I could find were tested on the Mustang. From day 1 I was a little disappointed with the sound of the Magnaflow, #1 it was too quiet, and #2 I had a slight performance loss, and #3 the sound was a higher pitch level than straight Glass Pack mufflers.

During my research to try and decide what to do because changing out an entire Cat Back Exhaust is an expensive endeavor, IF it turns out to be the wrong thing to do. I am fully aware of the Engine Masters testing of the straight dual, H Pipe, and X Pipe testing. What I learned from their testing was that the H Pipe and X Pipe were higher performance than the straight dual exhaust, and the other points were just irrelevant, IMO, the Horsepower difference was not enough to be concerned with.

Then I ran across this:

MBRP Challenger Installer Series Cat-Back Exhaust with Polished Tips; Race Version S7114AL (17-22 5.7L HEMI Challenger) - Free Shipping

MBRP was actually using an X Pipe in this system with no additional mufflers, they obviously had discovered the muffling capabilities of the X Pipe itself. So that set me on a research path to see what the next step for me was as it is a step into the unknown, because you can listen to all the exhaust clips you want until you are blue in the face, but until you actually install it you don't know. I was shopping for a Cat Back System that used an H pipe with glass pack style mufflers, I had already learned that the H pipe crossover had to be as far forward in the exhaust as possible for best performance.

I ended up at SOLO Performance but the Challenger setup was not what I was after but the MR212-HJ setup for the Charger was exactly what I wanted, but it would not hang under the 2015 Challenger unless the exhaust hangers were relocated. Why? Because in 2015 the exhaust hanger locations were changed on the Challenger along with many other changes.

2015- -Present MR212-HJ Catback Exhaust Kit V8 Charger/300 5.7L R/T

I called Steve at SOLO Performance and explained what I wanted to install on my Challenger and that the kit they had for the Charger was what I wanted to be fit to the 2015 Challenger hangers. He was great to work with, and had them build my H Pipe setup to fit my 2015 Challenger, they built it and it fit like a glove, their J Pipe drone canceling works, very well, amazingly well!

The sound and performance is what I thought I would be getting when I bought the Magnaflow system so I am pleased and relieved, money well spent this time! The X Pipe system gives a higher pitch sound like the European racers which is OK but the Challenger is American not European. Now it sounds like American Muscle!

Performance wise what has been noticeable with the H Pipe is the engine is running smoother, throttle response is not labored but more instantaneous, low end torque has increased, those three things have definitely happened by switching to the H Pipe Crossover. Ry

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Administrator
58,602 Posts
So my 2010 R/T 6spd had an h pipe, and the Scat Pack appears to have an x pipe. In the old days we used an h pipe to equalize the flow which made for a smoother idle. The Borla had an X pipe.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my 2010 R/T 6spd had an h pipe, and the Scat Pack appears to have an x pipe. In the old days we used an h pipe to equalize the flow which made for a smoother idle. The Borla had an X pipe.
I ran across some earlier year pictures of R/T OEM exhaust that was initially running an H pipe crossover. Personally I never experienced the stock exhaust on mine because the previous owner had installed Flowmaster American Thunder on it. Flowmasters crossover is not an X Pipe Or H pipe, but it was loud and raspy sounding, and the drone was unbearable. This is what the Flowmaster crossover looks like.

Hand Musical instrument Gesture Finger Bell

Hand Cloud Sky Automotive lighting Finger

Flowmaster swears by it as they use it on pretty much all their Cat back Exhausts, the raspiness came from the Super 40 chambered mufflers of the American Thunder Exhaust system.

So for me in the beginning not even having the stock exhaust I had to get rid of the Flowmaster because the cabin drone was so bad, it rattled something in the dash board.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Administrator
58,602 Posts
My R/T exhaust was way too quiet , when I bought it new there was a promotion called Mopar bucks, $2000 worth of Mopar Accessories installed and I went for the Cat back which at the time was made by Borla. It sounded great plus it had the dual stainless rectangular tips , loved those. I also got door sill guards, floor mats, carpeted trunk mat and classic stripes (installed). The trunk floor mat is in the Scat Pack now.

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Premium Member
2020 T/A 392, GoMango
1,827 Posts
I had a Ram Daytona that came with the Borla exhaust and sounded great. I've done nothing to the T/A exhaust wise but have run Magnaflow products for years and usually tailored systems. As subtly mentioned in a couple of the posted vids, an H pipe changes the pulse timing as opposed to an X pipe. One result of changing the pulse timing is as it extends in length it becomes deeper and more resonant.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger
485 Posts
The Flowmaster crossover is supposed to work as both a H and a X, isn’t it? Definitely not a true X but I can see it helping with scavenging and the gasses don’t have to make 90° turns (2) like they do in a traditional H

I got this for $20 not sure if I’m gonna put it in my system or not. (If the U bends ever get here that is ha). Think it will work very similar to the Flowmaster part.

Human body Gesture Material property Glove Personal protective equipment

Do you still have that Flowmaster piece?
Is it 3”?
409 stainless or what material?

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Flowmaster crossover is supposed to work as both a H and a X, isn’t it? Definitely not a true X but I can see it helping with scavenging and the gasses don’t have to make 90° turns (2) like they do in a traditional H

I got this for $20 not sure if I’m gonna put it in my system or not. (If the U bends ever get here that is ha). Think it will work very similar to the Flowmaster part.

View attachment 301404

Do you still have that Flowmaster piece?
Is it 3”?
409 stainless or what material?
The Flowmaster piece was 2.50" pipe, and I have no idea where it is, but I did not throw it away. I don't know the grade of the stainless either.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Musical instrument Wood Shotgun Reed instrument Gas

This is a picture of the front section after they completed building it, I had asked that they locate the H crossover as far forward as possible and they did exactly what I asked them to do. Their welding is impeccable some of the best I have seen.

Brown Wood Glass bottle Drink Glass

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Brown Wood Fixture Wood stain Tints and shades

A look inside at the crossover.

Hand Tire Automotive tire Fluid Wood

Their J Pipe Drone Canceling at the tailpipe is remarkable, I truly have no idea how that actually works, but it does work, and does exactly what they say it will.

I admit I did not take as many pictures as I should have because I was so excited to get the system installed, but I will put Black Beauty back on the ramps and take pictures of the final installation underneath. Ry

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Most pictures are self explanatory.

Automotive tire Wheel Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Picture above the connection to the mid pipes or high flow cats, showing a good view of the H Pipe crossover.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Shot of the resonators not mufflers, the resonators are actually glass packs.

Purple Bicycle part Rim Automotive exhaust Material property

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

Vehicle Automotive exhaust Muffler Exhaust system Bumper

Above is the drivers side, Drone Canceling J Pipe assembly.

Reactions: shooterjgs

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper Automotive exterior

The picture above is the drone canceling J Pipe assembly on the passenger side.

Plant Tire Automotive tire Tree Wheel

The picture above, I reused my Magnaflow Quad Tips, the kit from SOLO came with pipes to reuse my stock rectangle tips, but I never liked those stock tips.

Automotive tire Vehicle Product Automotive lighting Textile

The above picture showing plenty of clearance to the 4" driveshaft.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Building Wood Plant

Above picture showing the TBA differential brace.

Wheel Tire Wood Automotive tire Tread

Above picture showing the header wrap I always add to protect the wires coming out from the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any questions or additional pictures let me know? Ry

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
268 Posts
Besides the beautiful pipes, that's a heluva ramp setup you have as well. Post a sound clip some time if you can.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I wish the Engine Masters had made a full sized X pipe, not the "burn a hole in two pipes and weld them together" deal they used in the video. But a crossover doesn't seem to make much difference anyway, except for sound. I myself always seem to prefer an X. I had a big X-pipe on my old Trans Am, and it sounded really great. Kind of tugboaty at idle, and really roared at full throttle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts