Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me please I used the Meguiars Hot Rims on my black wheels and after I used it. A day later I had rust dust from the brakes setting on my wheels. And I noticed a large scratch inside the barrel of the wheel on the back left . How can I make sure this never happens again? This was the first major detailing and I don't know what products to use. :(

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,597 Posts
A lot of those wheel products just attract dust and make it stick to your wheels. Unless I am going to a car show or some special event, I avoid using some of that stuff. Just washing and keeping them clean with your car wash soap is sometimes better than overkill. I use the tire shine stuff on the tires, but I don't usually put much on the wheels. More members will chime in here with their views.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,619 Posts
There are very specific instructions on the label of all Meguiars products for application. Did you apply the Hot Rims wheel cleaner or chrome polish?

• Formulated to clean wheels and tires.
• Safe for all factory, clear-coated and painted wheels.
• Visually see dirt leaving the wheel & tire.

Chrome polish should only be used on chrome wheels. Application to painted (clear coated) wheels will damage the clear coat paint layer.

If you are looking to reduce brake dust, consider buying the Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

• Works on painted, chrome and polished aluminum wheels.
• Makes wheels easier to clean.
• Outperforms existing wheel protectants.

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
A lot of those wheel products just attract dust and make it stick to your wheels. Unless I am going to a car show or some special event, I avoid using some of that stuff. Just washing and keeping them clean with your car wash soap is sometimes better than overkill. I use the tire shine stuff on the tires, but I don't usually put much on the wheels. More members will chime in here with their views.
Agree

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
8,582 Posts
Help me please I used the Meguiars Hot Rims on my black wheels and after I used it. A day later I had rust dust from the brakes setting on my wheels. And I noticed a large scratch inside the barrel of the wheel on the back left . How can I make sure this never happens again? This was the first major detailing and I don't know what products to use. :(
Can you post a picture of your wheels?

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,597 Posts
Thanks, but I don't think that I know near as much as other members here who go to lots of car shows. One thing I sure noticed is the difference in my old Challenger chrome clad wheels and these new wheels on the Scat Pack. The new wheels on the Scat are polished aluminum with black pockets. They are much easier to care for. So far, just washing and wiping them down keeps them looking great. I may apply some spray wax, but really don't plan on buying a bunch of products that just are a waste of money. I think the wheel products out there are a little overkill.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,222 Posts
Thanks, but I don't think that I know near as much as other members here who go to lots of car shows. One thing I sure noticed is the difference in my old Challenger chrome clad wheels and these new wheels on the Scat Pack. The new wheels on the Scat are polished aluminum with black pockets. They are much easier to care for. So far, just washing and wiping them down keeps them looking great. I may apply some spray wax, but really don't plan on buying a bunch of products that just are a waste of money. I think the wheel products out there are a little overkill.
Betty a good coat of wax on the wheels will help keep them clean, the Charger has polished aluminum with black pockets and is clear coated just like yours. I actually use a paint sealant but wax works also.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,597 Posts
Thanks for the tip Corbin! I will do that!!!

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
370 Posts
Couple of tips ...
  • Never ever try to clean a "hot" wheel with any chemicals
  • Most of the stuff available retail is crap
  • Even some of the pro stuff can be very harsh and must be used with care, read labels and pay attn to dwell time. I have experimented with Sonax wheel cleaner, great stuff. I will save it for a cleanup after a long road trip or something, my wheels just don't get that bad between weekly washes.
  • Use the mildest cleaners that you can get away with, if wheels are kept fairly clean car wash soap will work just fine.
  • I wash wheels and tires first with dedicated brushes and mitt before I was the car.
  • Once wheels are perfectly clean use a wheel sealant on them to keep maintenance simple
Forget anything you thought you knew regarding "detailing" and head over to the autogeek forum. I got fanatical when I had a pitch black Charger.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,343 Posts
For my Scat Pack wheels, for now I use foaming glass cleaner... seems to do the job... For chrome I used Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol)...

Reactions: wvhemis

·
Registered
218 Posts
I learned a long time ago, not to use any shine product on the rims and wheels.The shine product ends up on the vehicle's paint when you drive too. And every little thing clings to that shine.

The dry look is the best look and easier to maintain with car soap, water and elbow grease. :)

·
801 RWHP
8,279 Posts
I will wash the car once or twice a week, depending on use, if possible. For the wheels I just use my car soap. Dedicated microfiber brush. Rinse wheel very good. Go around once with the brush. Rinse wheel and brush. Then I repeat two more times. Three cycles in all. Wheels are perfectly clean every time. If I only do it once or twice, upon drying they still have a film. After you can apply a coat of wax if you like. Brake dust will not stick as well to it. Then you may want to look into a different brake pad, as well. The Brembos are great for stopping, but are really unnecessary as they are designed for the track and heavy usage. You can find other pads out there that put off much less brake dust. They stop just fine. If you're going to run around a road course, just put the Brembos back on.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I changed mine all around when I bought my used"12 R/T to Power Stop ceramic pads and crossed drilled and slotted rotors. Not mush brake dust, stops real good.

·
8,582 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts